Canon 50D announced, no 7D yet

Old August 26th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Canon 50D announced, no 7D yet

Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels,
3" VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go
with it. This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite
to see the 7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 26th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

C J Campbell wrote:
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels,
3" VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go with
it. This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite to see
the 7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

Did I miss the 6D?

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 26th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
/dev/null/

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
C J Campbell wrote:
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels, 3"
VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go with it.
This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite to see the
7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

Pentax is number 3, and they are pushing Nikon and Canon. The K20D is a 14.5
mp CMOS, weather sealed, in body stabilizer x,x,z axis.

Old August 26th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
/dev/null/

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels, 3"
VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go with it.
This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite to see the
7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

The EF-S 18~200 IS is a plastic "kit" lens, feels like the 18~55 and the
55~250 IS. Not the same solid feel as the Nikon or the Pentax 18~250. I
wonder why Canon is the last maker to come out with an 18-200 range lens,
and why it's so cheap feeling.

Old August 26th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , /dev/null/ wrote:

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

Pentax is number 3, and they are pushing Nikon and Canon. The K20D is a 14.5
mp CMOS, weather sealed, in body stabilizer x,x,z axis.

actually pentax is #5, half of sony who is #3, based on 2008 market
share data:

http://bcnranking.jp/news/0807/080724_11351.html
Old August 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SMS

John McWilliams wrote:

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

You're right, a duopoly is only barely better that a monopoly. Canon and
Nikon aren't going to get into a huger price war without a third player.

Worldwide, Sony is currently number 3, Olympus is 4th, and Pentax is
5th, but Sony is very distant 3rd. Even if Pentax and Olympus call it
quits in D-SLRs, the market share won't all go to Sony.

Did I miss the 6D?

Yes.
Old August 26th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SMS

C J Campbell wrote:
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels, 3"
VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go with it.
This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite to see the
7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

Pentax is number 3, and they are pushing Nikon and Canon.

In terms of sales, Pentax is number 5 worldwide, though number 3 in Japan.

The K20D is a 14.5
mp CMOS, weather sealed, in body stabilizer x,x,z axis.

Yes, the K20D is quite nice.
Old August 26th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SMS

John McWilliams wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels,
3" VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go
with it. This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite
to see the 7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

I wonder what Nikon will announce on the 27th. Will they have a
replacement for the D300, already a year old, that will compete against
the 50D? Will they have a replacement for the D700 that will compete
against the 7D?

I haven't seen any rumors as to the D300 or D700 replacements, only the
rumors about the D3X
Old August 26th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

I wonder what Nikon will announce on the 27th.

d90, possibly a lens or two, maybe more.

Will they have a
replacement for the D300, already a year old, that will compete against
the 50D? Will they have a replacement for the D700 that will compete
against the 7D?

there's no need for a d300 replacement. the d90 and d300 are great
matches for the 50d and canon's other cameras. they don't match exact
feature for feature, nor do they have to. it's more of an interleave.

I haven't seen any rumors as to the D300 or D700 replacements, only the
rumors about the D3X

i don't know where you get the idea the d300 and d700 need
replacements. the d700 is just a few months old.
Old August 26th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-08-26 09:21:12 -0700, SMS said:

John McWilliams wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:
Perhaps the 7D tomorrow. But the 50D is up on dpreview. 15 megapixels,
3" VGA monitor, faster processor. Plus a new 18-200mm IS lens to go
with it. This will be a great amateur camera. Just whets our appetite
to see the 7D. And I am a Nikon fan!

And Nikon has its announcements for the 27th. All is well in camera-land.

It's a great time to be alive for photographers. I do wish there were a
third and fourth manufacturer who'd really push the big two.

I wonder what Nikon will announce on the 27th. Will they have a
replacement for the D300, already a year old, that will compete against
the 50D? Will they have a replacement for the D700 that will compete
against the 7D?

I haven't seen any rumors as to the D300 or D700 replacements, only the
rumors about the D3X

Whatever, Fanboy. The D300 and D700 are just fine, thank you very much.
Nikon will announce the D90 tomorrow. The D3x would be a pleasant
surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

Rangefinder Magazine has an ad that says Nikon and WPPI are planning a
"big surprise" at the WPPI convention in February. D3x then? Perhaps
even the D4? Your guess is as good as mine. If it was that big of a
surprise, why is Nikon's booth only half the size of Canon's? But if it
is that big of a surprise, let us hope that Samy's, B&H, and Adorama's
booths are well stocked. In any event, I already have my room
reservations for the convention. That is Valentine's Day weekend in Las
Vegas, and if you don't reserve now you might not get a room.