Example of how people get scammed on Ebay

Old April 17th 21, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Example of how people get scammed on Ebay

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Ebay is pretty stupid to show *another* similar listing when you
click on a listing that has ended, especially displaying it so prominently.

it's not stupid. it's not possible to bid on a listing that has ended,
so ebay will show a similar active item that might be of interest which
you *can* bid or buy it now, plus various other options below that.

the now ended item is highlighted in a large and prominent banner at
the top, including a large button to show the original listing should
someone want to find out more info about it.

What it should do is show the top "the item has ended" info, and then smaller
links to similar items, not an entire listing, makes you think that's what
the link goes to.

no, it shouldn't do that.
Old April 18th 21, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 23:09:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

and next to it is a big button, 'show original listing'.

Which produces

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...-Body-Only-/28
4255178583?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt =true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

another clue is the description of the original item did not match the
listing you saw.

it's not complicated.

But you seem to have been unable to distinguish the difference between
"The listing you're looking for has ended." and what I wrote (as
above) "The listing has ended". Count the words. The two strings are
different. You weren't properly following what I wrote.

i'm not the one having trouble.

*you* are the one who is not following what ebay wrote, which is why
you failed to find the proper item and *still* don't understand how it
all works.

in addition to the 'the listing you're looking for has ended' text is
also a 'show original listing' button to the right, both of which are
*inside* a banner (another clue).

Not 'Show' but "View original listing". When I click on that I get
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...orig_cvip=true
which only says "This listing has ended". You should try looking.

below that banner is large bold text that states 'we found something
similar' along with a similar item, plus a few more below that.

guess what all of that means.

after clicking on the original listing button, which you eventually
claimed to have done, the text at the top will change to say the
listing has ended because you're now looking at a *different* listing,
in this case, the original listing which already ended and is no longer
accepting bids.

yet another clue is that the original listing shows the location of the
seller as the same as the location mentioned in the original post here.

If only it was possible to now look at the original listing, but it
isn't.

it's not complicated.

once again you screwed up and are blaming everything other than
yourself, what you normally do.

Try looking instead doing it by memory.

Eric Stevens
Old April 18th 21, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 17 Apr 2021 08:22:53 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman:
The listings has ended, you have to click "see original item" to
go to the listing. Here are the URLs to each original page:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...MP-Mirrorless-

/144004765849?
_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc &orig_cvip=true

Seller: chrita_1686
Location: San Luis, Mexico

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...ra-Black-Body-

Only-
/284255178583?
_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc &orig_cvip=true

Seller: robdan-8830
Location: Salvador, Brazil

Aah! Thank you. I'm glad to see you are still around and watching.

Well, more or less, some bug in parsing had made rpd unavailable to me a
while back so I removed it from my feed, and then I wondered why there
weren't any new posts, so I fixed it

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

The village idiot could have told me that but chose not to.

Once again, thank you.

No problem, Ebay is pretty stupid to show *another* similar listing when you
click on a listing that has ended, especially displaying it so prominently.
What it should do is show the top "the item has ended" info, and then smaller
links to similar items, not an entire listing, makes you think that's what
the link goes to.

I don't use Ebay so I am unfamiliar with it's quirks.

Eric Stevens
Old April 19th 21, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JT[_4_]

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 23:09:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Did you scroll down?

JT

Old April 19th 21, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:32:51 +0000 (UTC), "JT"
wrote:

Did you scroll down?

Yes. It appears to be a different camera. The seller is now
chrita_1686. It was Redtagcamera(76504).

Eric Stevens
Old April 19th 21, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't use Ebay so I am unfamiliar with it's quirks.

then why are you trying to explain how it works to those who are?
Old April 19th 21, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...ack-Body-Only-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...04765849?_trks
id=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig _cvip=true
which only says "This listing has ended". You should try looking.

you should stop pretending to know how ebay works.

here's a clue: the urls are *different*.

below that banner is large bold text that states 'we found something
similar' along with a similar item, plus a few more below that.

guess what all of that means.

after clicking on the original listing button, which you eventually
claimed to have done, the text at the top will change to say the
listing has ended because you're now looking at a *different* listing,
in this case, the original listing which already ended and is no longer
accepting bids.

yet another clue is that the original listing shows the location of the
seller as the same as the location mentioned in the original post here.

If only it was possible to now look at the original listing, but it
isn't.

not only is it possible, but it will be for at least 30 days.

you've admitted you don't know how ebay works more than once, so stop
trying to explain it to those who actually *do* know how ebay works..

it's not complicated.

once again you screwed up and are blaming everything other than
yourself, what you normally do.

Try looking instead doing it by memory.

i wasn't doing anything by memory.

try learning something, for a change.
Old April 19th 21, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Did you scroll down?

Yes. It appears to be a different camera. The seller is now
chrita_1686. It was Redtagcamera(76504).

next time it will be something else.

did you notice the word 'similar' on the page? guess what that means.
Old April 20th 21, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:20:01 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't use Ebay so I am unfamiliar with it's quirks.

then why are you trying to explain how it works to those who are?

Your current chain of bitching started when I wrote:

"I'm not familiar with Ebay but as far as I can see both cameras
come from the same Brooklyn site. How can you tell otherwise?"

Only a miserable idiot would take that first sentence as a claim of
expertise on my part or the second as me instructing others on how it
works. Other people may try to explain to you what those words
actually mean but I suppose that, like me, they won't bother.

Eric Stevens
Old April 20th 21, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:20:04 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Did you scroll down?

Yes. It appears to be a different camera. The seller is now
chrita_1686. It was Redtagcamera(76504).

next time it will be something else.

did you notice the word 'similar' on the page? guess what that means.

Similar does not mean identical.

Eric Stevens