Nikon F100 & Metz 54AF-1 flash

Old December 31st 04, 12:44 AM
Keith

Default Nikon F100 & Metz 54AF-1 flash

I am shopping for a flash for my F100 and have been reading the specs on the
Metz units. The description on Adorama says the 54AF-1 for Nikon was
designed for the digital cameras. Why would a flash be different between
digital and film cameras? How compatible is this with the F100?

Thanks, Keith

Old December 31st 04, 08:42 AM
Roxy Durban

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:44:47 -0500, Keith wrote:

I am shopping for a flash for my F100 and have been reading the specs on the
Metz units. The description on Adorama says the 54AF-1 for Nikon was
designed for the digital cameras. Why would a flash be different between
digital and film cameras? How compatible is this with the F100?

Thanks, Keith

Older Nikon flashes used OTF (off the film) reflections to determine TTL
flash output. Obviously with newer DSLR's their is no film to measure off,
so they measure off something else (dunno what).

The Nikon SB-800 is now the top of the line flash and will work with
nearly every single Nikon ever made (in various modes). I strongly
recommend getting this unit over any 3rd party unit.
Old December 31st 04, 09:51 AM
Wolfgang Exler

Keith wrote:

I am shopping for a flash for my F100 and have been reading the specs on the
Metz units. The description on Adorama says the 54AF-1 for Nikon was
designed for the digital cameras. Why would a flash be different between
digital and film cameras? How compatible is this with the F100?

There are some extension to the TTL modes done for digital cameras. Nikon
started using DX to mark their own flashes with this digital camera
capabilities (e.g. SB-80DX etc). Newer models are missing these two letters
(like SB-600 and SB-800).

For the F100 there is no need for these digital compatibility. Metz offers a
recomendation list on their website, but I found it only in german language

Blitzgeräte-Empfehlung
Translation
flash recomendation

Diese Kamera bietet einen Zubehörschuh mit Mittenkontakt und Sonderkontakten
und somit auch Blitzsonderfunktionen. Deshalb wird für die Blitzgeräte mit
SCA-System nachfolgender Adapter empfohlen: SCA 3402 M (ab/as of)

Translation:
The camera provides a accessoir (flah) show with middle and special contacts
for extended flash features.
they recommend SCA 3402 M (ab/as of) for SCA compatible flashs

Weitere Informationen dazu finden Sie auch in der SCA-Adaptersuche.
Translation:
more information found at SCA adapter search

Folgende Metz mecablitz sind für die ausgewählte Kamera geeignet:
Translation
the following Metzt mecablitz are usable for the selected camera
rem: I selected th F100

mecablitz 44 AF-4N
mecablitz 54 MZ-4i
mecablitz 54 AF-1N
mecablitz 28 AF-3N
mecablitz 70 MZ-5
mecablitz 70 MZ-4
mecablitz 54 MZ-4 / 54 MZ-4i
mecablitz 44 MZ-2
mecablitz 44 AF-4iN
mecablitz 44 AF-3N
mecablitz 36 AF-3N
mecablitz 34 AF-3N

Hopefully this is some help for you

Wolfgang
Old December 31st 04, 09:55 AM
Wolfgang Exler

Keith wrote:

I am shopping for a flash for my F100 and have been reading the specs on the
Metz units. The description on Adorama says the 54AF-1 for Nikon was
designed for the digital cameras. Why would a flash be different between
digital and film cameras? How compatible is this with the F100?

I apologize, Now I found the recomedation list in english language

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...tions.142.html

Wolfgang
Old December 31st 04, 01:53 PM

Roxy Durban writes:

The Nikon SB-800 is now the top of the line flash and will work with
nearly every single Nikon ever made (in various modes). I strongly
recommend getting this unit over any 3rd party unit.

I've used an 800 with a D70, and was extremly impressed.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old December 31st 04, 02:54 PM
Nick Zentena

Keith wrote:
I am shopping for a flash for my F100 and have been reading the specs on the
Metz units. The description on Adorama says the 54AF-1 for Nikon was
designed for the digital cameras. Why would a flash be different between
digital and film cameras? How compatible is this with the F100?

Some of it is just marketing. Have to get the latest hot buzzwords into
things. Go to the Metz site and check out the section on adapters. You'll
find out what the combination of flash and camera will provide you. Nice
thing about Metz is you buy a new module and it works with a new camera.

Nick
Old December 31st 04, 06:46 PM
Roxy Durban

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:53:39 +0800, prep wrote:

Roxy Durban writes:

The Nikon SB-800 is now the top of the line flash and will work with
nearly every single Nikon ever made (in various modes). I strongly
recommend getting this unit over any 3rd party unit.

I've used an 800 with a D70, and was extremly impressed.

Yes, it is a very impressive flash unit - the best I have ever had. It
even works with my F2!

Old December 31st 04, 10:29 PM
Keith

Thanks.
I looked up the Metz info and it shows the F100 as being compatible with the
54AF-1. I can't find any info on what that really means. Are all the flash
capabilities of the F100 supported so just some of them? Any suggestions on
how to find out?
Keith