[SI] Old stuff comments

Old August 17th 04, 06:35 AM
Martin Djernæs

Default [SI] Old stuff comments

Hi,

I still feel that most people here have a lot more knowledge about
pictures than I do, but I have now been benefiting from your knowledge
since SI 1, so I'll try give my comments this time.

Browser:
I really like your picture. The colors and the details in the tree stump
is just greath. I only would wish that the leaves would have a bit more
clear color or at least details.

Martin Djernaes:
Mine. No comments.

Simon Lee:
What a funny picture. Old rolls of 35mm film, I guess it's meeting the
mandate.

Vic Mason:
Somehow I find the picture to messy and somehow a bit soft and/or
unclear. The plane is really nice and surely isn't new, but somehow it's
loosing it's value in the "mess". Somehow the "mess" never makes this
picture for me.

McLeod:
Hmm. Old yes, but I hope not "stuff" ;-) Are there any reason why it's
so soft?

Ken Nadvornik:
What a great photo. The light is really soft and fits very well to the
black and white. If I have to find something to ask for, then it would
be a bit of detail in the shadow.

Brian Fane:
What a nice sky color and generally a nice composition. The only thing
which bother me in this picture is the splash of brown grass (or what is
it?) in the front.

Eric Quesnel-Williams:
This is such a nice picture. Lot's of nice details in the (top) stamp -
I can almost feel the paper. Also the colors from the other stamps below
is a great backdrop.

Brian Baird:
For a while I didn't know what I feelt was wrong with this picture, but
now I know. The barn has almost no color, while the trees and grass
around is having color. I think this gives this picture an almost mystic
feeling.

Graham Fountain:
Nice picture, but somehow it makes me think about these pictures from
the 20'es or so.

Doug Payne:
Nice seen with the red/rose wheel in the middle. I'm not sure I like the
thing (stone?) in front of the first wheel, but else I like the clear
detail in the wood.

Jim Kramer:
Hmm

Alan Browne:
This is a nice picture, which gives a nice sense of working. Does the
blacksmith use his hammer? I would which that I could have seen that
more clear in the picture.

Christian Gatien:
Interesting idea and I think you go a nice result. The fact that I can
see the beetle clearly and the roof line is following the curve of the
hubcap makes this photo, imho.

Al Denelsbeck:
Some kind of fossil?

Michelo:
I don't like the motive, but I think the picture is pretty good. You
have lot's of detail in the whole picture, which I find really nice.

Bob Hickey:
This would have been such a nice picture i I didn't get the feeling that
I was looking through some kind of milky glass.

Mojtaba Talaian:
Is the lap old? I like the modtive, but somehow I think that either the
graffiti should have been more colorfull or it shouldn't have been there.

Mike Henley:
This is a nice picture. Maybe it's not quite what I like, but I think
the picture is well done, which a nice balance in the light. The colors
on the left of the picture is nice and warm and I almost forget to see
the statue, standing in the (cold) shadow.

Chibitul:
Not only is this an old radio, but it looks like you just found in up
under the roof on some old farm ;-)

Colm Gallagher:
Hmm .. old .. maybe. Details are nice, but I just lack something in that
picture.

Steve McCartney:
This is an interesting picture. Lot's of old feeling in here, but with
new (modern) stickers on the windows. I like this picture because of the
mood it gives me.

That's all folks.

Martin

Old August 17th 04, 09:47 AM
Ken Nadvornick

"Martin Djernæs" wrote;

Ken Nadvornick:
What a great photo. The light is really soft and fits very well
to the black and white. If I have to find something to ask for,
then it would be a bit of detail in the shadow.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for both the compliment and the criticism.

Regarding the latter, you have echoed my original concern exactly. The
problem with the three shadow areas along the sidewalk was that only the
center one had any detail available in the negative. The outside two were
essentially blank. (Even with the Plus-X film rated one stop over at ASA
64.) This left me with a decision to make.

I could try to subtly dodge the center shadow in an attempt to open it up a
bit. But if I succeeded, in order to preserve a sense of reality, I would
also have had to equally dodge the other two. Doing so, however, would have
resulted in only blank gray patches in those areas. (I did try this and
that is, in fact, what happened.)

The second possibility was to let the three shadows naturally drop to their
near total black rendition. This I felt would help to key the other tones -
especially the nearby vertical, white "Retreading" sign - in the eyes of the
viewer. Since the overall area of each of these individual black shadows
was not especially large, this is what I decided to do.

In retrospect, a better solution might have been to open up the shadows
right on the original negative by using a bit of fill light. I did have in
my camera bag a GN 130 Vivitar 292 electronic flash unit which could have
done the job. I just didn't think at the time to use it. (Damn, I hate it
when that happens... grin) Utilizing the resulting additional detail,
back in the darkroom I could also have then conceivably created a contrast
mask to precision "dodge" the shadows. Unfortunately, although I have made
masks in the past with large format negatives, I have not tried them with
the much smaller 35mm negatives.

Ken

Old August 17th 04, 12:06 PM
Bob Hickey

Bob Hickey:
This would have been such a nice picture i I didn't get the feeling that
I was looking through some kind of milky glass.

Actually, the picture IS going thru milky glass. The glass on my
scanner is fogged out and I can't get this stupid thing apart. Anybody know
how to get an HP 3400c apart, or at least get the glass out? The prints go
in looking a little like a Ken Nadvornik shot, and come out looking like
sunrise over Linden N.J. Hellooooo Exxon. I got an HP 5200c and the program
won't run. Tech support is about what you'd expect, so fogged it remains,
with predictable results. This is scanner 5 or 7 and my enlarger is about 30
yrs old. I love this digital crap.
Bob Hickey www.pbase.com/bobhickey/galleries

Old August 17th 04, 01:50 PM
Alan Browne

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/ol...rowne_oldb.jpg

Old August 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Martin Djernæs

Hi,

Ken Nadvornick wrote:
Ken Nadvornick:
What a great photo. The light is really soft and fits very well
to the black and white. If I have to find something to ask for,
then it would be a bit of detail in the shadow.

Thank you for both the compliment and the criticism.

Your're welcome ... and thank you for your detailed explanation.

In retrospect, a better solution might have been to open up the shadows
right on the original negative by using a bit of fill light.

Actually I appreciate your explanation a lot as it tells me something
about how I need to look at a scene .. before the image is taken. I'm
still pretty new at the game and can *alwas* see later that "I didn't
think of that" .. somtimes I'm just lucky, other times .. well I'm less
lucky ;-)

Martin