Analysis tool

Old May 18th 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

Default Analysis tool

There have been times in the field where I have had images with
technical difficulties. I can usually fix the issues, but when I get
back I sometimes forget what went wrong.
I started using Nikon View as an analysis tool. It shows me exactly
where I messed up. I have looked at exif readers, but they don't seem to
give me as accurate analysis, nor do they show the focus point. I can
also make some rough adjustments that will be kept by those images that
I want to process in DXO. (If I do any processing in LR, unless I first
save as a tiff, DXO will not recognize the adjustments.

Just thought i would pass this on to anyone who is interested.

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 14, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-18 15:36:13 +0000, PeterN said:

There have been times in the field where I have had images with
technical difficulties. I can usually fix the issues, but when I get
back I sometimes forget what went wrong.
I started using Nikon View as an analysis tool. It shows me exactly
where I messed up. I have looked at exif readers, but they don't seem
to give me as accurate analysis, nor do they show the focus point. I
can also make some rough adjustments that will be kept by those images
that I want to process in DXO. (If I do any processing in LR, unless I
first save as a tiff, DXO will not recognize the adjustments.

Just thought i would pass this on to anyone who is interested.

Are you referring to ViewNX?

That will certainly work to give you information of focus point, GPS
location, and some other data. However, Bridge, & LR also give you all
the metadata you might find useful, with the exception of showing the
focus points. So there are times it might be useful for digging out
stuff you might have missed elsewhere.

Savageduck

Old May 18th 14, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Forehead

On 5/18/2014 10:36 AM, PeterN wrote:
There have been times in the field where I have had images with
technical difficulties. I can usually fix the issues, but when I get
back I sometimes forget what went wrong.
I started using Nikon View as an analysis tool. It shows me exactly
where I messed up. I have looked at exif readers, but they don't seem to
give me as accurate analysis, nor do they show the focus point. I can
also make some rough adjustments that will be kept by those images that
I want to process in DXO. (If I do any processing in LR, unless I first
save as a tiff, DXO will not recognize the adjustments.

Just thought i would pass this on to anyone who is interested.

And I thank you for that info. I have been struggling with some
of the limitations that you described. Nikon shows it's dominance
yet again, apparently. I will definitely be looking into that product.
(( {:-/
Old May 18th 14, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-18 15:56:11 +0000, Forehead said:

[...]

ViewNX or ViewNX 2 should have been part of your new Nikon camera
bundle. I am not sure if it is included with the latest models. I got
my copy with my D300S back in 2010.

Savageduck

Old May 18th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 2014-05-18 15:36:13 +0000, PeterN said:

There have been times in the field where I have had images with
technical difficulties. I can usually fix the issues, but when I get
back I sometimes forget what went wrong.
I started using Nikon View as an analysis tool. It shows me exactly
where I messed up. I have looked at exif readers, but they don't seem
to give me as accurate analysis, nor do they show the focus point. I
can also make some rough adjustments that will be kept by those images
that I want to process in DXO. (If I do any processing in LR, unless I
first save as a tiff, DXO will not recognize the adjustments.

Just thought i would pass this on to anyone who is interested.

Are you referring to ViewNX?

Yes

That will certainly work to give you information of focus point, GPS
location, and some other data. However, Bridge, & LR also give you all
the metadata you might find useful, with the exception of showing the
focus points. So there are times it might be useful for digging out
stuff you might have missed elsewhere.

I know it seems trivial, but all of the exif information appears when I
click on the image. I don't have to do a right click and select.

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Forehead

On 5/18/2014 11:11 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-05-18 15:56:11 +0000, Forehead said:

[...]

This software is only compatible with Nikon equipment?
I was under the impression that the software could also
be used with other makes. I don't currently own any
Nikon cameras, but have always admired them.
Guess it's high time to finally get Nikoned up!
(( {:-/
Old May 18th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

: On 2014-05-18 15:56:11 +0000, Forehead said:
:
[...]
: (( {:-/
:
: ViewNX or ViewNX 2 should have been part of your new Nikon camera
: bundle. I am not sure if it is included with the latest models. I got my
: copy with my D300S back in 2010.
:
:
: This software is only compatible with Nikon equipment?
: I was under the impression that the software could also
: be used with other makes. I don't currently own any
: Nikon cameras, but have always admired them.
: Guess it's high time to finally get Nikoned up!

Not necessarily. Canon also provides a very good primary photo editor, Digital
Photo Professional, free with its serious cameras. Along with the usual light
balance and sharpness adjustments, cropping and rotational correction, etc.,
DPP (unlike LR) also displays the autofocus points. And if you need more, you
can always feed its output into a secondary editor. (It doesn't do redeye
correction, for example; so when I need that, I use Irfanview after the
conversion to JPEG.) And I believe, although I'm too lazy to look it up, that
DPP may provide a direct path to ACR without intermediate conversion to TIFF
or JPEG.

For all I know, other manufacturers (Sony? Olumpus? Pentax?) may also provide
similar viewing and editing utilities.

Bob