Dima Enjoying the Sun

Old April 2nd 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks

Default Dima Enjoying the Sun

An ordinary picture of an extra-ordinary dog.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Shot in shutter priority at 1/200 second, 35mm equivalent, 1/3
under-exposed, -1 stop flash compensation, using bracket mounted HF-DC1
slave flash set to medium. I also had a lens hood installed as the sun was
in a bad position, and I wanted to shield the lens of my A720 from any flare
that might result.

Dima had a great walk and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 4th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
An ordinary picture of an extra-ordinary dog.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Shot in shutter priority at 1/200 second, 35mm equivalent, 1/3
under-exposed, -1 stop flash compensation, using bracket mounted HF-DC1
slave flash set to medium. I also had a lens hood installed as the sun
was in a bad position, and I wanted to shield the lens of my A720 from any
flare that might result.

Dima had a great walk and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

Take Care,
Dudley

Hi Dudley,

If you use the link directly to the picture it will come up straight away
without going throught several pages.

Like this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/...5bc5d060_o.jpg

Old April 4th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
An ordinary picture of an extra-ordinary dog.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Shot in shutter priority at 1/200 second, 35mm equivalent, 1/3
under-exposed, -1 stop flash compensation, using bracket mounted HF-DC1
slave flash set to medium. I also had a lens hood installed as the sun
was in a bad position, and I wanted to shield the lens of my A720 from
any flare that might result.

Dima had a great walk and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

Take Care,
Dudley

Hi Dudley,

If you use the link directly to the picture it will come up straight away
without going throught several pages.

Like this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/...5bc5d060_o.jpg

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've taken up the fine art of website design /
production, so I'm practicing with the geocities site.

Shortly, Dima will have her own page, albeit a fairly plain one. As I work
my way through the "Build Your Own Website" material I have tracked down,
the site should get a bit more sophisticated / attractive.

BTW, thanks for your interest in Dima...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 4th 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Pete D" wrote in message

[...]

Hardly very inconvenient but as you yourself I am sure would agree, having
to navigate your way around a page that you did not have to get to the good
stuff can be a trial and a direct link in this case would be entirely
appropriate.

Cheers.

Pete

Old April 8th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message JlPKj.18889$9X3.17836@edtnps82, Dudley Hanks
writes

"The One" someone@here wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
An ordinary picture of an extra-ordinary dog.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Shot in shutter priority at 1/200 second, 35mm equivalent, 1/3
under-exposed, -1 stop flash compensation, using bracket mounted HF-DC1
slave flash set to medium. I also had a lens hood installed as the sun
was in a bad position, and I wanted to shield the lens of my A720 from
any flare that might result.

Dima had a great walk and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

Take Care,
Dudley

****e

????

It's Ok The minus One is a social retard (probably a frustrated
adolescent) who so far has only be able to post replies like the one
above and call ANY work posted crap and everyone a looser or an amateur.

However it will come as no surprise The Minus One uses a fake identity
and has never posted any work (because we are all undeserving of his
greatness) Sad really.

You can kill file him like the rest of us do.

Old April 8th 08, 09:06 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks

"Chris H" wrote in message
[...]

I only replied with the question marks because I was wondering if his / her
comment referred to the placement of Dima in the shot.

Given her surgery, I didn't think it would be dignified to show her complete
with bare belly and stitches, so I tried to compose the image with her head
off center and a bit low. The intention was three fold. First, I wanted to
crop out the not-so-pretty remmenants of the surgery. Second, to convey the
fact that I wasn't able to view her through the viewfinder when the shot was
taken -- shooting blind might be an apt description. And, third, to
capture her happy face in front of the trees behind her to convey how much
Dima loves the great outdoors.

It took me a few tries. I shot off about 15 or twenty pics in order to get
the one I posted. While sighted photogs will probably find it cropped a bit
strange, I think it has the affect I was shooting for.

Regarding The One, I haven't kill filed him / her -- yet -- because I like
to give people an opportunity to express themselves, as people give me that
opportunity.

Personally, I know of a few disabled persons who live rather secluded lives,
often with only a computer and the internet in order to interact with the
rest of the world. This can lead to a real sense of isolation and
frustration for the individual, and they can lash out at others in unusual
ways. I bordered on this situation myself for a while, before getting up
the courage to go out and buy a camera and get back into the art, regardless
of how others view my past-time.

I was actually hoping that someone would post about the unusual cropping. I
post here because I'm looking for criticism from knowledgeable
photographers. I hope people won't hold back simply because they feel sorry
for my situation. If I can't get good feedback, I can't improve...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 9th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Sianlover

In message mGSIj.26035$_v3.21089@edtnps90, Dudley Hanks
writes
An ordinary picture of an extra-ordinary dog.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Shot in shutter priority at 1/200 second, 35mm equivalent, 1/3
under-exposed, -1 stop flash compensation, using bracket mounted HF-DC1
slave flash set to medium. I also had a lens hood installed as the sun was
in a bad position, and I wanted to shield the lens of my A720 from any flare
that might result.

Dima had a great walk and enjoyed herself thoroughly.

Take Care,
Dudley

It's a decent enough pic of a nice-looking and obviously good dog. It's
in focus. Anyone who doesn't find it pleasing must be a pretty miserable
wretch.

Technically I am pretty sure that what you should have done is centred
Dima on the horizontal plane, and avoided including the building.
However, while that might be what you should have done, I much prefer
what you have done.

--
Sianlover
Old April 9th 08, 03:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/8/08 3:06 PM, in article 1fQKj.18916$9X3.9780@edtnps82, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

"Chris H" wrote in message
[...]

She's smiling brightly!
It took me a few tries. I shot off about 15 or twenty pics in order to get
the one I posted. While sighted photogs will probably find it cropped a bit
strange, I think it has the affect I was shooting for.

Ain't digital great?
Regarding The One, I haven't kill filed him / her -- yet -- because I like
to give people an opportunity to express themselves, as people give me that
opportunity.

Being open-minded is a virtue.
Personally, I know of a few disabled persons who live rather secluded lives,
often with only a computer and the internet in order to interact with the
rest of the world. This can lead to a real sense of isolation and
frustration for the individual, and they can lash out at others in unusual
ways. I bordered on this situation myself for a while, before getting up
the courage to go out and buy a camera and get back into the art, regardless
of how others view my past-time.

Interesting observation. Appreciate your viewpoint.
I was actually hoping that someone would post about the unusual cropping. I
post here because I'm looking for criticism from knowledgeable
photographers. I hope people won't hold back simply because they feel sorry
for my situation. If I can't get good feedback, I can't improve...

Personally, I think by being on her level (height-wise) with the camera, you
are doing better than most who photograph small children from eye-level. The
composition was unusual, but not bothersome, like some of the stuff others
have posted.
Take Care,
Dudley

Glad Dima is doing well!