GeoTagging

Old May 4th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MidNight Mapper

Default GeoTagging

Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

Old May 4th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

Oziphototool will do this, but you need the Oziexplorer software and a
gps/laptop combination, and of course, digital maps of the area you are in.

www.oziphototool.com

Old May 4th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkW

On May 4, 4:36 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

Oziphototool will do this, but you need the Oziexplorer software and a
gps/laptop combination, and of course, digital maps of the area you are in.

I don't believe you need Oziexplorer to use Oziphototool -- it will
work with a GPS directly. And you don't really need digital maps of
your area -- Google Earth works very well. It's pretty cool to
generate a 'KMZ' file for Google earth that will display your GPS
track and all your photos in place. You can also upload to the Google
Earth community.

That said, I tried Oziphototool and had problems with it -- there was
format problem in the Lat/Lng data somewhere in the process. I ended
up using 'Robogeo', which is quite nice, but not all that cheap for a
single-function software package. There really should be a freeware
solution out there, but I haven't found any good ones yet.

And that's assuming you'll be carrying a GPS with you and downloading
the GPS track to tag your photos automatically. If you want to do it
by hand (e.g. click on the map where the photo was taken), you can use
Google Picasa and Google Earth together to do it that way.

Old May 5th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

I wrote a program that does it from a Virtual Earth map after the fact.
Here, let me mention it here again.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...t/default.aspx
Old May 5th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sebastian Busch

MarkW wrote:
On May 4, 4:36 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

Oziphototool ...

... There really should be a freeware solution out there, ...

gpsbabel for converting your track into another format
digikam for using this track to automatically tag the photos

good luck,
sebastian.
Old May 5th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hoshisato

On May 4, 3:29 pm, MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

You might want to look into the following tools:
+ http://www.robogeo.com/home/ ($39.95)
+ http://wwmx.org/ (you only need the WWMX Location Stamper if you
have a GPX file from your GPS, but the travelogue tool is kind of nice
too)

Old May 5th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkW

On May 5, 1:46 am, Sebastian Busch wrote:
MarkW wrote:
On May 4, 4:36 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?
Oziphototool ...

... There really should be a freeware solution out there, ...

gpsbabel for converting your track into another format
digikam for using this track to automatically tag the photos

Well, OK, I guess I should have said a good freeware solution that
doesn't require booting up into Linux

Old May 10th 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rakerman

On May 4, 10:29 am, MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

It depends whether you want to manually geocode the images, or whether
you have GPS tracks you want to use to automatically geocode.

For manually geocoding, I use Picasa + Google Earth.
You could also do it within Flickr, but the Yahoo Maps are still not
as detailed as Google's.

For automatic geocoding, I use a Globalsat DG-100 and RoboGEO.

http://scilib.typepad.com/science_li...gps_logge.html

I have a general page on the topic

http://www.akerman.ca/geocode-photos.html

-- Richard Akerman