Agfapan 25

Old November 6th 04, 03:35 PM
The Wogster

no-name wrote:
Donald is an highly reliable source, but this information is not correct.
Yes, Minopan 25 is Agfapan 25. But it is not a microfilm.

Although Agfa discontinued their Agfapan 25 film about two years ago, Minox
has a considerable stockpile and will probably continue offering Minopan 25
for years. It is processed in standard developers like Rodinal, D-76, etc.
It is not a substitute for Technical Pan since it is much grainier. Tech Pan
is, in essence, a microfilm, albiet a modified one, which is why it needs
special development.

Agfa will not re-commence making Agfapan 25. The best substitute for it is
Maco UP25, which should continue to be available for the forseeable future.

The other films mentioned (Copex and Bluefire Police) are microfilms which
must be processed in an extremely soft developer in order to achieve
pictorial contrast. Both are less grainy than TMax 100, which is currently
the low-grain champ of the standard film world, and both have more
conventional tonalities when correctly processed.

As Donald noted, 35mm Gigabit is Copex Rapid Pan AHU. Gigabit in sheet film
sizes is a different Agfa microfilm.

Bluefire Police is often said to be Copex Rapid Pan AHU, but it is not. When
given identical exposure in a sensitometer, and processed together in
Bluefire HR developer, they develop quite differently. In twelve minutes of
continuous agitation, Copex develops to gamma 0.33, while Bluefire Police
develops to gamma 0.48. Copex has a more abrupt shoulder, Bluefire Police a
more abrupt toe. Their speeds are about the same, but Bluefire Police is a
little faster. The emulsion colors of the two films are noticeably
different. I have tried to find out what Bluefire Police is, but I have only
been told is an Agfa microfilm not available outside Europe. Nothing more
specific.

David Foy
http://www.bluefire.ca
wrote:

I'm still reeling from the Kodak Tech Pan decision as I'm sure many of
you are. I've been doing a small stocking up but of course an
alternative would be better than stuffing my freezer with film. I've
seen that Agfa makes a 25 speed B&W film for the Minox format. If this
film were to be produced in 35mm and/or 120, how good of a substitute
would it be for Tech Pan. Also, is it any good to begin with?
Thanks

The film to which you refer is only called Agfapan when it's spooled by
Minox for their 8x11 format; it includes a special low contrast
developer. Otherwise, it's called Copex microfilm, and is available in
16 mm unperforated, 35 mm camera perforated, and sheets, but not 120.
The easiest way to obtain it in less than literally thousands of feet in
a lot is as Gigabitfilm, which also includes an optimized developer that
gives. There is also Bluefire Police, which is Copex Rapid and gives
effectively the same result at EI 80-100. Neither, however, has the
extended red sensitivity of Tech Pan.

Bluefire Police is actually made in Canada by Adox Fotowerke Inc, based
in Calgary Alberta, try
www.adox.net for details.

Old November 6th 04, 06:04 PM

The Wogster wrote:

Bluefire Police is actually made in Canada by Adox Fotowerke Inc, based
in Calgary Alberta, try www.adox.net for details.

I believe that's Mr. Foy's own brand name. I doubt the stuff is made in Canada.

Old November 6th 04, 06:04 PM

Old November 6th 04, 09:19 PM
John Bartley

The Wogster wrote:

Bluefire Police is actually made in Canada by Adox Fotowerke Inc, based
in Calgary Alberta, try
www.adox.net for details.

I believe that's Mr. Foy's own brand name. I doubt the stuff is made in Canada.

Hmmmm...I read the entire website, and it says pretty clearly that it's
made in Canada. One page gives a pretty detailed explanation of the
trademark / vs / domain name / vs / company history etc.

cheers

--
regards from ::

John Bartley
43 Norway Spruce Street
Stittsville, Ontario
Canada, K2S1P5

( If you slow down it takes longer
- does that apply to life also?)

Old November 6th 04, 10:46 PM
Andrew Price

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:27:29 GMT, "no-name"
wrote:

Agfa will not re-commence making Agfapan 25. The best substitute for it is
Maco UP25, which should continue to be available for the forseeable future.

Efke 25 isn't bad, either.