What darkroom newsgroups survive?

Old January 6th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Andreas Gugau[_2_]

Default What darkroom newsgroups survive?

Lew wrote:
Since rec.photo.darkroom is going down hill fast, especially on
Google, I'm curious to know where (what internet groups) users with
darkroom questions are posting their questions and answers. It's a
shame that more control can't be exercised over the spam.

I have no spam here in my newsreader. Just avoid google groups. However,
there wasn't any posting here for months. For de.rec.fotografie is my
current source if Needed. But it's German.

Andreas

--
http://www.gugau-foto.de

http://www.fineart-schwarzweiss.de

http://www.whisky-guide.de
Old January 6th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Andreas Gugau[_2_]

Andreas Gugau wrote:
Lew wrote:
Since rec.photo.darkroom is going down hill fast, especially on
Google, I'm curious to know where (what internet groups) users with
darkroom questions are posting their questions and answers. It's a
shame that more control can't be exercised over the spam.

I have no spam here in my newsreader. Just avoid google groups. However,
there wasn't any posting here for months.

Correction: the "geometric vs. real"-thread was the only one.

Old January 6th 11, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

On 1/5/2011 8:07 PM, Joe wrote:

I see three non-spam threads in the last month, all of them in early
December.
Great to see Richard Knoppow is still around! But yeah the photo
newsgroups are dying off.

Newsgroups in general are dying off. My ISP no longer supplies access as
part of their service and this may be common? Plus many people have no
idea what newsgroups even are or that they exist. When I was on dialup
they were much faster than any web sites but now needing a text only
feed isn't needed, so people have moved to web forums.

Stephey
Old January 6th 11, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 5:49 pm, Andreas Gugau
wrote:
Andreas Gugau wrote:
Lew wrote:
[...]

I was a regular here for a long time but dont come around
often
anymore.

Lew, www.apug.org is the best place to go now, IMO.

I still follow a couple of news groups. There is a two
fold problem, one is the general migration from Usenet to
private mailing lists, mostly to avoid spam, the other is
just the transision to digital photography. While it can be
argued that _some_ digital photography requirs a lot of
skill much of it is very casual. Of course, there was always
a lot of casual snapshooting but with cameras in nearly
every cell phone its far removed from what was done with a
box Brownie. Curiously enough its just exactly where George
Eastman was headed when he decided to make photography
accessible to everyone.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old January 7th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

wrote:
On 1/5/2011 8:07 PM, Joe wrote:

I see three non-spam threads in the last month, all of them in early
December.
Great to see Richard Knoppow is still around! But yeah the photo
newsgroups are dying off.

Newsgroups in general are dying off. My ISP no longer supplies access as
part of their service and this may be common?

They are being killed off, both by spammers, rude idiots, and ISPs.
"For better service" my ISP first cut off all but the "big 8"
newsgroups, but without lowering their charges. Then for even better
service, they cut off all the rest of the newsgroups, again without
reducing their charges, so I had to go to newsguy. But their newsgroup
servers were lousy anyway, too slow, down too often. All this on their
Fiber Optic network with super high speed -- perhaps, but their servers
are not high speed. I suppose they will next cut off e-mail on the
theory that people will be using Facebook instead, like the teenagers do.

Plus many people have no
idea what newsgroups even are or that they exist. When I was on dialup
they were much faster than any web sites but now needing a text only
feed isn't needed, so people have moved to web forums.

Stephey

/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 13:45:01 up 3 days, 1:15, 5 users, load average: 4.65, 4.59, 4.65
Old January 7th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 5:49 pm, Andreas Gugau
wrote:
Andreas Gugau wrote:
Lew wrote:
[...]

It was Alfred Stieglitz who rejoiced in 1897, "PHOTOGRAPHY as a fad is
well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze.
Those seriously interested in its advancement do not look upon this
state of affairs as a misfortune, but as a disguised blessing, inasmuch
as photography had been classed as a sport by nearly all of those who
deserted its ranks and fled to the present idol, the bicycle. The only
persons who seem to look upon this turn of affairs as entirely unwelcome
are those engaged in manufacturing and selling photographic goods. It
was, undoubtedly, due to the hand camera that photography became so
generally popular a few years ago. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry could,
without trouble, learn how to get something or other on a sensitive
plate, and this is what the public wanted -- no work and lots of fun."

In the same way, perhaps we can rejoice at the cameras in cell phones,
getting people away from real cameras. Unfortunately, I do not wish to
make my own film or paper.

^^-^^ 13:50:01 up 3 days, 1:20, 5 users, load average: 4.63, 4.79, 4.72
Old January 7th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Howard Lester[_3_]

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

In the same way, perhaps we can rejoice at the cameras in cell phones,
getting people away from real cameras. Unfortunately, I do not wish to
make my own film or paper.

But will the manufacturers continue to wish to make it?

When I was thinking about retiring and moving elsewhere (which I did), I was
figuring on one day setting up a darkroom complete with 4x5 enlarger, Jobo
system, etc. etc.... until the manufacturing support effectively pulled out
the rug from under my plans. So, never mind.... I know to some
extent it's still there, but not enough to inspire me to invest.

Old January 7th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Howard Lester" wrote

But will the manufacturers continue to wish to make it?

Well, from the perspective of a manufacturer who continues
to make photographic gear ...

It will eventually devolve to several small firms
run by artisans/enthusiasts with very low overhead who can
continue to produce product in small volumes.

In my case what hurts business is the continued presence
of old-line dinosaur manufacturers.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old January 7th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Howard Lester[_3_]

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote

But will the manufacturers continue to wish to make it?

Well, from the perspective of a manufacturer who continues
to make photographic gear ...

It will eventually devolve to several small firms
run by artisans/enthusiasts with very low overhead who can
continue to produce product in small volumes.

In my case what hurts business is the continued presence
of old-line dinosaur manufacturers.

Such as... ? And why is that a problem for you?