Lenses that satisfy

Old October 25th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default Lenses that satisfy

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 10:36 am, "Lawrence Akutagawa"

wrote:
"Cheesehead" wrote in message

I've been re-acquiring glass, in small quantities, to
jump back in
after my short hiatus from shooting.
What I found myself doing was being more picky.
Early on I tested out various lenses and found some good
and some not
so good, at least for me.

For 4x5 I have 2 lenses: 135/4.5 Ysarex and 210/5.6
Caltar HR.
The Ysarex cost a bit more than I wanted, but is quite
good.
The Caltar HR I got for a song and am more than pleased
with its
results.

For 8x10, I am still shopping, both for another camera
and then for
lenses.
The Caltar HR will cover 295mm, so it might be good
enough for a wide
angle w/o movements. ;-)
But for something longer, in the past I had one of those
480/9 Nikkor
process lenses, but not in a shutter.
A bit of a hassle to use, but sharper than anything else
I ever
handled.

But back to the point: I find these lenses very
satisfying.
They produce great results. (I do only b&w)
So the ? is:
What are the lenses you have which you find (a)
satisfying and (just
to get another perspective) (b) not satisfying.

Question - how did you use that Nikkor 480/9? As I recall,
it is a huge and
formidable lens. I would think that just mounting it with
a suitable
lensboard on your 4x5 would have been challenge enough,
much less shooting
it without a shutter.

I had it on an old Kodak 2D. It's really not a very heavy
lens.

I think these are Tessar types so the glass is not too
large. Given the speed the diameter of the lens will not be
much over two inches. That will fit into a lot of old
shutters and could be used with a back shutter like the
Packard. Unfortunately, Packard shutters are no longer cheap
new (although available) and the supply of used ones has
pretty much dried up. It should fit into something like a
No.4 Ilex or large Compur. If this is the lens I am thinking
about it has a very good reputation.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA