? about 90/8 Super Angulon

Old August 5th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default ? about 90/8 Super Angulon

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
I see two generations of this lens, one with the text on
the front and
another with the text on the side.
Is the difference only in the coatings, or is there an
optical formula
difference as well?

Schneider made this lens for many years. The earliest
ones have chrome cells, later ones have black cells. I think
the ones labeled on the sides are later. The earlier version
as single layer coating, later versions have multiple layer
coating. The lens is complex enough for this to make a
difference especially for color photography. I don't know
about the exact lens prescription. At some point certain
types of optical glass became unavailable because they
contained hazardous materials so lenses employing them had
to be redesigned. I don't know if this applies to the
Super-Angulon. Even the older ones are pretty good lenses
but later versions are better.
Schneider has a serial number vs: date list on their web
site somewhere and also data sheets for discontinued lenses.
The latter may answer your questions.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old August 5th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

I have a 90mm f.8 Super Angulon I bought new probably in 1990.
It is labeled on the side of the front cell.
It is mounted on a Copal #0 shutter.
Number 14 314 xxx so it was made between November 1988 and before
January 1991.
It is black. I am almost certain it is multi-coated because different
elements reflect different colors. Front one is pale greenish, next one
is reddish-magenta. third one is faint greenish. From the back, the
colors are the same as the front, but fainter.

^^-^^ 15:25:01 up 11 days, 18:17, 3 users, load average: 4.77, 4.62, 4.64
Old August 6th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

That sounds like multi-coating. Of course a perfect
coating would not reflect any light. Single coatings reflect
the compliment of the color that is absorbed, usually amber
for lenses peaked in the blue region or magenta for those
peaked in the green region. Multiple coated lenses with two
layers are often green while more coatings can be other
colors but are usually very dim.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old August 10th 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi[_2_]

"Richard Knoppow"
Schneider has a serial number vs: date list on their web
site somewhere and also data sheets for discontinued lenses.
The latter may answer your questions.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Try this.
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/serie.htm

Otzi
Old August 10th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi[_2_]

"otzi" wrote in message

"Richard Knoppow"
Schneider has a serial number vs: date list on their web site
somewhere and also data sheets for discontinued lenses. The latter may
answer your questions.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Try this.