What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

Old December 14th 11, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

On 2011-12-13 19:27:41 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:52:32 -0800, Savageduck

On 2011-12-13 13:21:17 -0800, rwalker said:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:28:18 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

Well if we are getting into "old" this is a scan of my wife's
grandmother's bridal shot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Evans-05AW1Cw.jpg

Some of those old photographers' backdrops were pretty amazing.

That wasn't a backdrop.

Quite. But what is the area between the stairway pillar post and the
subject? Is that airbrushing, repair, or what?

Great photo!

If you are referring to the right side of the image, I believe that is
a filtered sunlight coming through the lead light windows. It might
also be an artifact off a plate.

The only repair on that image was fixing a tear to the mat, a fix in
the upper left corner, and some spots.
The house was a manor in Ireland belonging to the bride's, Allardyce family.
Here is the image pre-my-repair.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Evans-05Aw.jpg

Was that a contact print?

I have no definite knowledge of that one way or another. However, I
suspect that it could well be a contact print from a glass plate
negative. The detail in the original print is quite amazing.
I no longer have the original in my possession as I passed it along to
my sister-in-law after my wife died. This was their family after all,
not mine.

Savageduck

Old December 14th 11, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Well if we are getting into "old" this is a scan of my wife's
grandmother's bridal shot.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Evans-05AW1Cw.jpg

Some of those old photographers' backdrops were pretty amazing.

That wasn't a backdrop.

Quite. But what is the area between the stairway pillar post and the
subject? Is that airbrushing, repair, or what?

Great photo!

If you are referring to the right side of the image, I believe that is
a filtered sunlight coming through the lead light windows. It might
also be an artifact off a plate.

The only repair on that image was fixing a tear to the mat, a fix in
the upper left corner, and some spots.
The house was a manor in Ireland belonging to the bride's, Allardyce family.
Here is the image pre-my-repair.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Evans-05Aw.jpg

I just posted that I don't think the entire setting is part of a room,
but you may have some knowledge of the image that I don't have.
Everything back of the steps looks like a painting to me.

I don't remember the relationship, but Allardyces are in my family
tree. East coast American, though.

Never having travelled to Ireland, I can't say that I have ever seen
this manor house, but both my wife and my father-in-law waxed eloquent
regarding being familiar with that stair case, and I trust that their
recollection was valid.

The Allardyces were the Irish faction of my wife's family on her
mother's side. I still have some of the Allardyce 18th & 19th century
silver, which was willed to my wife and I am taking care of for my
step-daughter-from-Hell.

I don't believe any of their family migrated to the US, as I was
repeatedly educated with regard to the family history and lore.

Savageduck

Old December 14th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Allardyce is a Scottish name, but there were Allerdyces in Ulster;
descendants of the Plantation Irish. Family descendants moved,
though, so your Allerdyces could have been from anywhere in Ireland.

These Allardyces were in Ireland before the partition and the patriarch
was certainly part of the Irish gentry, and they were established there
in the late 18th century.
I was one generation out on the ID, the bride was my wife's Great
grandmother, not Grandmother, the groom, her Great grandfather was an
army surgeon, Major Webb.

I've been in some of the "stately homes" in Ireland, but nothing like
that. In one, the owner had turned the home over to the National
Trust because of the maintenance costs. He sold tickets and led tours
and his wife ran the gift shop and tea shop. They lived is a wing not
open to the public.

The house my father grew up in in Indianapolis was not as posh, but
close. This scan is of a photograph taken in the 1920s.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../central1A.jpg

The interesting thing about that shot when compared with the bridal
shot I showed, is the similar "flare" type artifact.
That said, another elegant old home.

A second photo from that series shows two rows of carved elephants on
the fireplace mantle.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../central2A.jpg

Nice room.

Some of those elephants are on shelves in my living room.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../elephants.jpg

It is always great to have some of those family heirlooms to pass on.

There were 15 elephants originally, but there are now six left. I
have no idea where 9 of them disappeared to.

The painting over the fireplace in the room through the doorway is
also still in the family. My son has it.

This is my grandfather, my father, and my aunt on the steps of that
house. My father was born in 1917, so you can kind of place the date.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...3/abc-0090.jpg

All this reminds me to set aside some time to make an attempt to
restore these images. They are just scanned at this point.

Here are the male side of my ancestry, my Grandfather, George in the
center, my Great uncle Curt standing on the left. Then my uncles Grant,
Bob, & Carl, with my father at 14 at the lower left. this was 1934.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/GWRGCCH.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 15th 11, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

wrote:

[...]

The Plantations of Ireland were in the 16th and 17th century.

And 18th C.

Old December 16th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

On 12/14/11 PDT 10:42 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 12/14/11 PDT 11:15 AM, tony cooper wrote:

The Plantations of Ireland were in the 16th and 17th century.

And 18th C.

No?

Dang, forgot to trim the previous post of mine.
Old December 16th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea of these Allardyces being "Plantation Irish", you
introduced that idea with regard to your family. All I know is these
Allardyces were established in Ireland in the mid to late 18th century.
These were part of my wife's family who remain almost completely within
the British Isles, and none were known to have immigrated to the USA.
The exception being my wife who became a naturalized US citizen in 1989.

Savageduck