I started a lofi photo group, please come along if you're interested in that

Old April 2nd 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Default I started a lofi photo group, please come along if you're interested in that

It's here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/lofiphoto

If you enjoy trying to take high art pictures with low end cameras,
then please come along and join the group. I'm not expecting many to be
interested in this, after all this is a niche interest, but I'm
expecting that those who are will be an interesting few.

Old April 2nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

It's here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/lofiphoto

If you enjoy trying to take high art pictures with low end cameras,
then please come along and join the group. I'm not expecting many to be
interested in this, after all this is a niche interest, but I'm
expecting that those who are will be an interesting few.

By the way, the email for the newsgroup is lofiphoto aaaaatttt gmail
dot com

Old April 2nd 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

It's here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/lofiphoto

If you enjoy trying to take high art pictures with low end cameras,
then please come along and join the group. I'm not expecting many to be
interested in this, after all this is a niche interest, but I'm
expecting that those who are will be an interesting few.

Do you have a gallery?
Here's my contribution:
http://www.edgehill.net/P4010167-gamma-sm.jpg
-grossly underexposed old P&S digital
Old April 2nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

wrote:
It's here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/lofiphoto

If you enjoy trying to take high art pictures with low end cameras,
then please come along and join the group. I'm not expecting many to be
interested in this, after all this is a niche interest, but I'm
expecting that those who are will be an interesting few.

I think a lot will be interested.
I assume you know about these people
http://shop.lomography.com/holga/
Now a days you are going to have a lot of people seeing how far they
can go with cell phone cameas.

Scott

Old April 3rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Scott W wrote:

wrote:

It's here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/lofiphoto

If you enjoy trying to take high art pictures with low end cameras,
then please come along and join the group. I'm not expecting many to be
interested in this, after all this is a niche interest, but I'm
expecting that those who are will be an interesting few.

I think a lot will be interested.
I assume you know about these people
http://shop.lomography.com/holga/

How the heck was this done?
http://shop.lomography.com/holga/gallery/img_15.jpg
must be a color filter with a hole in the middle plus a really good eye
for finding unusual lighting.

Old April 3rd 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital

Default lobster telephone

Desdinova wrote:

wrote:

Everyone is welcome with whatever their definition of low end is.
Personally, I don't like "lomography", and I wouldn't define it as low
end for me. My personal interest is along the lines of these

If you don't like it because its popular, you can say so.
I'm not a fan because you could get an agfa isolette for about the same
price or just a little more and it'd be a more usable camera.

Take care,
Des

Lobster telephone? :-)

Okay. The lomo.

I don't like it for two reasons, one is being "popular", the other,
above all, is technical.

I don't like the lomo for the same reasons that I don't want to be seen
walking around with white earbuds. Something makes me shy from that.
Yes, big difference, unlike the lomo, the ipod, though popular, is a
fine piece of design and engineering, but, aside from its popular "me
too" curse, does it make sense to me? No. If i were given a choice
between a free ipod or my current £7 or £12 mp3 player, which would I
choose? Assuming I can't resell, I'd definitely choose my current
cheapo. Why? It uses AAA batteries and SD cards. I listen to
audiobooks, each audiobook is composed of ~ 20 hours, I can fit these
on a 512mb card and even more on a 1gb one, and they deal with
non-fiction topics, which means sometimes they require listening to a
few times to understand well. Do I run out of capacity? No, but I run
out of battery, and for that AAA are quite handy. I ran out of battery
today, did I have to wait for an ipod to recharge? No, I took an AAA
out of my pocket and put it in, and I was listening again within
seconds. Do I have to worry about what will happen when the
non-user-replaceable battery runs out in a year or whether the device
will last 5 years? No. They use AAA and they're durable, for less than
the price of an ipod I'd buy a few and they'd last me for a decade or
more. Would I feel comfortable about owning more than one item, giving
each a name label, and keeping a different sync profile on the computer
for each name label with an expensive, time-limited ipod like I do with
these
http://i2.tinypic.com/sxglfc.jpg? No (I don't care what people
think about this latter bit, it works well for me - owning more than
one durable and flexible device is not the same as owning one larger
capacity fragile and expensive one, and there's nothing sad about
giving a device a name label if it helps organisation; good
organisation is God). Do I prefer compact HD or solid state? Solid
state. What colour are my earbuds? Black! How much do they cost?
£0.99. Good enough? Excellent! Do I want white earbuds? God forbid! Do
I need my mp3 to be seen? No, it's remains in pocket where I want it to
be. Why would I want an ipod? No idea.

Coming back to the lomo, do I want to buy an overpriced piece of crap
and pretend to "be cool, spontaneous, and shoot from the hip"? No way.
The complete opposite. I have a book here on my shelf, titled the
Visual Dialogue, by Knobler. No where in it I see it advised to "be
cool, spontaneous, and shoot from the hip", nor can I imagine learning
anything useful from spending a significant period of time doing that.
I can summarise the contents of Knobler's book, and a few other related
books, in ~10 pages. I would think though that I can fill 10 years or
so with practice aimed at mastering the contents of those 10 pages. I
just want to move away from the distraction of equipment, to focusing
on what really matters, and what mattered back in ancient times, as
illustrated in the book, is still what matters these days, and it isn't
the equipment.