[SI] I miss...

Old June 25th 04, 03:43 AM
The Dave©

Default [SI] I miss...

....when some would critique all the shots. Oh well. Personally, I
look forward to the (legitimate) feedback.

--
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 's' in the word lisp?
Old June 25th 04, 03:59 AM
Matt Clara

"The Dave©" wrote in message
...when some would critique all the shots. Oh well. Personally, I
look forward to the (legitimate) feedback.

Maybe it's your turn to critique?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 25th 04, 04:19 AM
The Dave©

Matt Clara wrote:
Maybe it's your turn to critique?

We're taking turns?

--
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 's' in the word lisp?
Old June 25th 04, 04:36 AM
Matt Clara

"The Dave©" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:
Maybe it's your turn to critique?

We're taking turns?

--

No, but I waited patiently for last turn's critiques, and when none were
forthcoming, I decided I'd best take a turn at it myself.

As the old joke goes, "it's your turn in the barrel."

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 25th 04, 10:27 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Matt Clara" wrote in
:

"The Dave©" wrote in message

We're taking turns?

--

No, but I waited patiently for last turn's critiques, and when none were
forthcoming, I decided I'd best take a turn at it myself.

As the old joke goes, "it's your turn in the barrel."

I've been actively encouraging this since the start, really, and have
tapered off on my own critiques to allow/induce others to fill in the gaps.
It's a good exercise. It forces you to stop and examine an image to
determine why you reacted to it.

Moreover, having several different opinions kicking around allows for
a better impression overall. There is no "right" answer to composition -
it's all subjective. But often times there's a consensus...

On top of that, strictly from my own standpoint, I've been devoting
more time to other projects. But I may show up in a day or two with
commentary anyway, since this one was my own mandate.

But yeah, go for it! Scribble your thoughts down, brief, detailed,
whatever. Spend a couple days on it and do them in batches if you like (I
usually do). I'm pretty sure that none of the people who have offered
commentary are "qualified", and I can assure you that I'm not. But
photography is not intended for art critics - everyone can view a photo and
decide if they like it or not, and thus everyone can say it out loud.

Have fun!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 25th 04, 03:15 PM
Alan Browne

The Dave© wrote:

...when some would critique all the shots. Oh well. Personally, I
look forward to the (legitimate) feedback.

I've tapered off on comments. When the muse strikes me I'll
start again.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 26th 04, 12:03 AM
Sabineellen

The group is often too volatile to critique without incensing somebody, unless
one is would like to adopt a 100% positive view.

But what do you know... here i have a go at it...

Jim Kramer - Like others said, I'm not sure what there is to look at. I find
the horizontal lines of the traffic lights wires a little unsettling and
somewhat disturbing. They occupy the half top of the image and distract from an
otherwise beautiful sky. That post on the left… I wish it wasn't there. This
might've been a much nicer image had it focused more on that road and gave it a
central prominence. It does look like one of those roads leading out of town.

Al Denelsbeck - Beautiful image. Peculiar in the sense that there is some space
between the guys fishing on the left and the sun on the right. I wonder if
using a telephoto lens and tightening the composition might've produced a more
conventional image, especially that the sun looks quite tiny here, but that
might've been a cliché. Rather, I think the weight given to the water is quite
good, though I would've probably preferred to crop the sun out. I'm not sure if
Al intended the central "emptiness" to emphasize the weight of water. I have
played with cropping and rotating it and I guess each iteration feels a little
different. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56364808MbjrMT

Bowser - Very amusing shot. Much to look at and a feeling of being there. I
don't know why it looks like a mildly affluent culture.

Alan Browne - I'm sure it's a technically fine shot and that Alan outclasses me
innumerably, but I'm not sure I get it. Looks like something a real estate
agent would be interested in. A road sign had been removed and I wish that Gray
electricity box(?) could've been removed too. Maybe had it been in black and
white and there was some human or even animal event it

Doug Payne - interesting. I feel though the crop is too tight. I would've loved
to see more of the scene/area.

Rich Pos - I quite like it. I can almost smell the salt. The lines of
perspective beautifully point towards the sea. The sign is pretty pleasant
visually and the rope is too. The American flag with its blue and red stand out
somewhat and add a taste of barbecue ribs to the image.

Ken Nadvornick - amusing. Not sure why it's in black and white. Was hard to
tell what it was though without reading the caption.

Joseph Kewfi - those two women look unmistakably Dutch or German in their
facial features. That alone should qualify the picture as local culture if it
was taken in either country. Looks like an everyday (every minute?)
interaction; can't say I'm excited much about the picture.

Vic Mason - I do actually like it. Surprisingly nice colors in that image. The
semi-central dividing piece of concrete sets it all in balance. Humorous take
on the word "culture".

Mike Henly - some think it's "dull". Heard that word twice now. I do like the
image somewhat though. There is a beckett-ish "nothing happens - twice" quality
to it. (I guess same can be said for other pictures that didn't excite me much,
but what do you know, I get my one, I don't get theirs)

Michael J Hoffman - Interesting image. That woman with the red t-shirt is
immensely beautiful. Had it been my image I would've suspected I took it just
for her. The two guys and the crab they serve frame the image nicely. Great
composition. I have cropped out half the image and when I did so realized how
great your image is as it is. The symmetry/asymmetry is stunning.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56364767FAhuyv strangely it
reminds me of Vic Mason's image in its graphical framework.

Colm Gallagher - eh eh. Two deers and a monumental cross behind them. Not sure
what the connection is. Looks like one of thoses pictures in photography books
solely to demonstrate the effect of using a telephoto lens. There's also a
1980s feel about it, maybe for the same reason; those SLR zoom lens' brochures
of the time.

The Dave*- undoubtedly a picture of skies, dramatic skies. Very nice as is.
Looks like a warm place. A Southern-evening kind of feel. Nice and effective. i
don't mind the darkened bottom half of the picture.

Bret Douglas - beautiful image. Don't know why I feel if a little rotation
might've made it even nicer. The godly-like elevated view on a cemetery is
interesting.
The white telephone or power lines could've been erased out.

Matt Clara - night shot from Matt. I get the funny feeling this is almost
certainly a digital image and it does look like it. As night shots go, this is
a pretty nice one. Not sure I like it much though, but I could be biased
against Matt and his digital imagery; quite likely.

Parv - nice image. Looks like a hot place. Not much to say about it, really.
would've been nice had the people walking away didn't exist in the image, they
distract too much from the two guys facing each other. Also, the panoramic
aspect ratio feels somewhat forced. All in all feels like a hot day,
potentially tension simmering, potentially shy photographer.

Old June 26th 04, 01:19 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Sabineellen ...

Parv - nice image. Looks like a hot place. Not much to say about
it, really. would've been nice had the people walking away didn't
exist in the image, they distract too much from the two guys
facing each other.

This is not one of the better pictures of the event (see below), but
it depicted the event per mandate.

Other pictures that i took...

Seems quite blurry, forgot where i was focusing:
http://tenshian.pair.com/parv/tmp/wv-day-1-a-flat.jpg

One of the four better photos of the event:
http://tenshian.pair.com/parv/tmp/wv-day-3-a-flat.jpg

I could not get a decent scan of a photo, four colorful front right
sides, which has better composition than "wv-day-1-a-flat" or the SI
entry. Scans of that photo had heavy red overcast (blame the crappy
IBM IdeaScan).

Also, the panoramic aspect ratio feels somewhat forced.

Just plain cropping of ~4x6" print.

All in all feels like a hot day

Indeed it was hot Jun 20th, West Virginia Day, in Martinsburg; event
was "Cruise-In", a show of automobiles pre-1980.

My favourite car was an English red TVR (no picture taken); it had
very beautiful awe-inspiring outline; i think much like this one ...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ga...s_2003/tvr.jpg

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do