(SI) Suggestion to change mandates around for effect

Old November 6th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default (SI) Suggestion to change mandates around for effect

On 2010-11-03 19:50:08 -0700, tony cooper said:
The real blow was the election of Rick Scott as Governor. He was CEO
of a company that committed a series of the largest Medicare frauds in
history. He claims that he was not aware of the frauds. (Took the
5th 75 times in court appearances) That means either he is a
bald-faced liar or an incompetent CEO unaware of what his company was
up to.

I'd go with "bald-faced liar."

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Richard Feynman
Nobel Prize Physicist

If you are going to quote anybody, Feynman is a fine choice.

The best, being the letter he wrote to his draft board to obtain a 4F
deferment;

"Dear Sirs,
I do not think I should be drafted because I am teaching science
students and it is partly in the strength of our future scientists that
the national welfare lies. Nevertheless, you may decide that I should
be deferred because of the result of my medical report, namely, that I
am psychiatrically unfit. I feel that no weight whatsoever should be
attached to this report because I consider it to be a gross error.
I am calling this error to your attention because I am insane enough
not to wish to take advantage of it.

Sincerely,
R. P. Feynman"

Result: "Deferred, 4F, Medical Reasons."

Savageduck

Ha! I have read all of Feynman's books, and I don't remember that. - Thanks!

Then you either missed it, or forgot that you had read it.

That was the concluding entry in the chapter titled "Uncle Sam Doesn't
Need You!" to be found in "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"

I have a vast collection of Feynman's work.

Savageduck

Old November 7th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On 2010-11-03 19:50:08 -0700, tony cooper
said:
[...]

You are correct...."Surely You're Joking...." was the first of his books I
read.....

Old November 7th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 23:44:02 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

Bowser wrote:
He disagreed. And he didn't get the point,

Oh man.

Yup. good thing he lost...
Old November 7th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 06:46:54 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Nov 4, 12:47*pm, Bowser wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 19:43:06 -0400, tony cooper

wrote:

I could have done a panorama last week. *Some idiot neighbor of mine
is Tea Party fruitcake and did a Halloween yard scene with gravestones
for Nancy Pelosi, Barak Obama, and several other Democratic pols. *It
was really offensive as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have any objections to anyone having whatever addle-pated
political opinions they want, but to make Halloween a political
statement exceeds the bounds of propriety. *How do you explain to
small children why the guy thinks the President of the US should be
ridiculed in this manner?

I should have hung an effigy of Christine O'Donnell in witch regalia
in his tree.

We have a local nutcase up here, too, who posted these signs in his
front yard during the 2008 presidential campaign:

http://www.manzi.org/pix/nobama4.jpg

http://www.manzi.org/pix/nobama5.jpg

Bill Hudak, the nutjob who posted the signs later ran for congress in
the MA 6th district. He took a beating. I know the guy, and we
"discussed" these signs and he said that he had every right to post
them. So I ginned up a mock sign of my own. I snapped a pic of him
waving (it really looked like a "sig heil" salute) to a crowd at one
of his rallies, and then PS'd him into a Nazi uniform with the words
"vote for facism" on the sign. He went ballistic. I told him that if
he had the right to make Obama look like Bin Laden, I had the right to
make him look like Hitler. He disagreed. And he didn't get the point,
either.

I didn't post the sign. I refused to sink to his level.

I've sometimes found that in order to communicate with some one you
have to lower
yourself to their level or they just don;t get it.
I bet you enjoyed doing the poster even if you didn't get the chance
to post it,
I know I would have :-)

Yeah, it's that old advice: write the nasty letter, but don't send it.
Hudak lost, and he lost to a guy whose wife is an admitted felon
(Tierney). Yes, Hudak was THAT bad.

Funny how it worked out, though. The Teabaggers, by pushing very
radical candidates who weren't electable, actually cost the
republicans the senate. I'm still laughing at O'Connel in Delaware...