Recommendation Request: Good PnS Digital

Old October 20th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

Default Recommendation Request: Good PnS Digital

Basically, the characteristics I think are important a adjustable
flash intensity and adjustable apeture. Maybe also a pre-set macro/
close-up mode......and of course inexpensive (under $120....??). Any
other features to suggest?

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are all
automatic.

You need an external flash to get this functionality.

Some camera have adjustable exposure compensation which affects the flash
exposure and may accomplish the same thing. But some camera's exposure
compensation may affect only available light not the flash.

Old October 20th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bristolian

james wrote:

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are
all automatic.

James, you might need to clarify that statement for me (if no-one else).
My Nikon D40 and D80 both have flash compensation controls that allow me
to adjust the intensity of the flash (both + and -). AFAIK, all Nikon
DSLR have this facility.

--
Regards

Bristolian
Old October 20th 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , james wrote:

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are all
automatic.

You need an external flash to get this functionality.

pure nonsense. only the most basic cameras lack that ability.
Old October 21st 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Further Info[_5_]

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:14:09 -0700, "james" wrote:

Basically, the characteristics I think are important a adjustable
flash intensity and adjustable apeture. Maybe also a pre-set macro/
close-up mode......and of course inexpensive (under $120....??). Any
other features to suggest?

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are all
automatic.

Where on earth do you get this? Some of the Canon Powershots, on manual
mode, have 3 levels of output. On all the P, TV, and AV modes they have 13
levels of flash EV compensation, from -2EV to +2EV in 1/3 EV increments. On
my other P&S cameras they all allow at least 3 levels of flash-output
adjustment.

To address a question previously asked (in another post), "is flash even
necessary for macros on P&S cameras?"

The answer to that is a resounding NO. That's the wonderful thing about P&S
cameras for macro photography. Hand-held available light macro shots, even
in subdued shadows of dense forests, are easy. The extra DOF afforded by
having a smaller sensor design easily provides all the DOF required for
even the most demanding of macro shots, no matter what accessory lenses
(close-up filters, specialty achromat macro lenses, or reverse-mounted 35mm
DSLR lenses) are attached to the camera.

Old October 22nd 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Further Info wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:14:09 -0700, "james" wrote:

Basically, the characteristics I think are important a adjustable
flash intensity and adjustable apeture. Maybe also a pre-set macro/
close-up mode......and of course inexpensive (under $120....??). Any
other features to suggest?

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are all
automatic.

Where on earth do you get this? Some of the Canon Powershots, on manual
mode, have 3 levels of output.

I susect that this is just a miscommunication. He is correct that you
cannot set the flash output. You can only adjust it from its automatic
setting. External flash units actually let you set the power level.

--
Ray Fischer

Old October 23rd 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_12_]

"Ray Fischer" wrote in message
[]
I have several real cameras, idiot. None allow setting the flash
power level.

[]
Ray Fischer

All the Nikon DSLRs I have owned allowed setting of the relative flash
power - flash exposure compensation.

Cheers,
David

Old October 23rd 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dale towers

On 23 Oct 2009 05:06:03 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

dale towers wrote:
(Ray Fischer) wrote:
Further Info wrote:
"james" wrote:

Basically, the characteristics I think are important a adjustable
flash intensity and adjustable apeture. Maybe also a pre-set macro/
close-up mode......and of course inexpensive (under $120....??). Any
other features to suggest?

No cameras, PnS or even DSLR has adjustable flash intensity. They are all
automatic.

Where on earth do you get this? Some of the Canon Powershots, on manual
mode, have 3 levels of output.

I susect that this is just a miscommunication. He is correct that you
cannot set the flash output. You can only adjust it from its automatic
setting. External flash units actually let you set the power level.

Wrong.

Let's see you provide an actual example.

Random pick from Google:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4901.htm

"Other Flash Functions: Manual flash output (3 levels)"

For just one of hundreds of P&S cameras that allow you to adjust manual
flash output. The auto-flash modes allow 13, 1/3EV increments from -2 EV to
+2 EV exposure compensation.

Now if you add on CHDK to any of the Powershot P&S cameras, then you have
96 steps per each 1EV exposure level, from -4 to +4 EV, for manual flash
output and auto-flash exposure compensation. In effect, that's 769
user-selectable flash output levels possible.

(That is something that is not in the CHDK documentation, and that our fool
SMS imaginary "chdk expert" troll doesn't even know about because it wasn't
implemented in an easy-to-use CHDK menu option. This feature is only
available by setting Prop_ID values, processor specific.)

Even a 9-year-old Sony P&S camera I have allows 3 levels of manual flash
output when on manual-flash mode.

Go download some more camera manuals, you know, where you get ALL your
camera knowledge from (not from actual cameras of course). You seem to have
missed downloading quite a few to add to your pretend-photographer's
knowledge-base.

Go get some real cameras one day and learn what they can do, instead
of regurgitating troll's nonsense.

I have several real cameras, idiot. None allow setting the flash
power level.

That only shows everyone just how lame you are at camera-purchase
decisions. Or that you only downloaded a few manuals of cameras and you
didn't read them closely enough. That's all it shows. Well, it shows
everyone one more important thing: That you are most definitely not someone
that should be handing out photography and camera advice to anyone, ever.

Oh wait, you ARE the originator of that
nonsense.

You _are_ an idiot.

The above information proves the converse to be true (again).

Have at it troll. I've proved you 100% wrong on every claim you have ever
made. Don't you grow tired of that? Wouldn't it be better for you go find a
newsgroup with some topic where you won't be so easily outted for being
nothing but a self-appointed imaginary expert in that field?

The end of your virtual-reality role-playing days in these newsgroups is
growing nigh. From my POV it's already here. You've been outted so often.

Old October 24th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

dale towers wrote:
(Ray Fischer) wrote:
Further Info wrote:
"james" wrote:

[...]

That's exposure COMPENSATION.

As I pointed out before, none allow setting the actual, absolute power
level. Many allow an adjustment form the automatic setting.

I realize that few people have dealt with external flash units that DO
allow setting the actual power level, but surely not everybody can be
this clueless?

--
Ray Fischer