(April, 10th) Picture of the Week

Old April 11th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default (April, 10th) Picture of the Week

Daniel Rocha wrote:

Scott W wrote:
It is hard to say on this one, the size you have posted does not match
the content. This might look a lot better larger but at this size it
is not much to look at.

It's larger than previous weeks !

The sky is pretty bland and it is hard to find much interesting to the
people who are only a handfull of pixels high and so dark as to be
hard to make out fully.

You found the picture dark too... Strange... I can't see it too dark !

http://www.monochromatique.com/photosemaine/

Maybe you are using a Mac computer with gamma=1.8? On my PC monitor
(calibrated for sRGB), gamma 2.2, the figures are definitely too dark,
almost silhouettes.

Colin D.
Old April 12th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Daniel Rocha wrote:

Colin D wrote:
http://www.monochromatique.com/photosemaine/

Maybe you are using a Mac computer with gamma=1.8? On my PC monitor
(calibrated for sRGB), gamma 2.2, the figures are definitely too dark,
almost silhouettes.

I use a PC. It's the same for the other pictures ?

QuickGamma gives me a gamma of 2.19

Ok. I loaded your image into Photoshop and took a look at the tonal
values. The girl's hair is too dark, detail practically lost, but in
levels, moving the gray slider to a value of 1.75 produces much better
tones lifting her hair at it darkest from 15 to 43, and her left arm
above the elbow fron 80 to 130-odd. Also lifting the man's hair from
40-odd to 90-odd.

If you are seeing significant tonality in those areas at the levels this
images has, perhaps your monitor may be at gamma=2.19, but your
brightness may be set too high.

Colin D.
Old April 12th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Daniel Rocha wrote:
Colin D wrote:
http://www.monochromatique.com/photosemaine/

Maybe you are using a Mac computer with gamma=1.8? On my PC monitor
(calibrated for sRGB), gamma 2.2, the figures are definitely too
dark, almost silhouettes.

I use a PC. It's the same for the other pictures ?

QuickGamma gives me a gamma of 2.19

I suspect that your monitor is simply set to a brightness level that is too
high.
These images appear rather dark on my carefully calibrated monitor as
well...

Mark