8 Mpix or 6?

Old March 2nd 05, 12:14 AM
Chuck Deitz

Default 8 Mpix or 6?

Hi there!

A friend says it's not worth getting a 8 Mpix camera. He said the
images are not much better printed and it doesn't matter for web photos
or emails.

Do you agree?

I just want something to drag around that has a good zoom, a flash,
where I have some control over exposure and flash use. I've looked at
Lumix, Sony, Minolta and others. Manual focus would be best and I'd
like it best if the zoom was manual too. I have an hp photo printer
that does pretty good on small prints (like drugstore size to 8 1/2 by 11.)

Do these cameras do okay left in the car in the hot sun or in the cold
(below freezin)? (Say under the seat).

Will 512 of memory be enough? I guess I'd shoot a couple dozen photos a
week. I don't do much touching up, pretty much print em as is, so I'll
probably save in JPEG mode.

Advice?

Thanks!
Ck

Old March 2nd 05, 12:34 AM
All Things Mopar

All Things Mopar commented courteously ...

Oops! Tried to cancel this but I guess it didn't take.
Please ignore...

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Old March 2nd 05, 10:15 AM
David J Taylor

Chuck Deitz wrote:
Hi there!

A friend says it's not worth getting a 8 Mpix camera. He said the
images are not much better printed and it doesn't matter for web
photos or emails.

Do you agree?

Images from 8MP cameras should have slightly better resolution, which you
would see on close inspection of 10 inch x 8 inch prints. Given the same
sensor size, the images may have a little more noise at a given ISO.

I just want something to drag around that has a good zoom, a flash,
where I have some control over exposure and flash use. I've looked at
Lumix, Sony, Minolta and others. Manual focus would be best and I'd
like it best if the zoom was manual too. I have an hp photo printer
that does pretty good on small prints (like drugstore size to 8 1/2
by 11.)
Do these cameras do okay left in the car in the hot sun or in the cold
(below freezin)? (Say under the seat).

That's not something I would do - read the working and storage
environmental specifications for the cameras which interest you.

Will 512 of memory be enough? I guess I'd shoot a couple dozen
photos a week. I don't do much touching up, pretty much print em as
is, so I'll probably save in JPEG mode.

Advice?

Thanks!
Ck

512MB should be fine in JPEG mode, but memory is cheap.... How much
memory you need is determined by how long the card will be away from the
computer! Get yourself a memory card reader.

Cheers,
David

Old March 2nd 05, 10:56 PM
Chuck Deitz

David J Taylor wrote:

Chuck Deitz wrote:

Hi there!

A friend says it's not worth getting a 8 Mpix camera. He said the
images are not much better printed and it doesn't matter for web
photos or emails.

Do you agree?

Images from 8MP cameras should have slightly better resolution, which you
would see on close inspection of 10 inch x 8 inch prints. Given the same
sensor size, the images may have a little more noise at a given ISO.

One 'pair' I'm comparing is the Konica-Minolta A2 (8 mpix) and A1 (5
Mpix). I like the anti-shake feature, and I like the camera.

The A2 has 3264 pixels wide. So that should print well for almost 11
inches on my printer when it's set to 300.

The A1 has 2560 pixels in that same dimension, so I'd get 8 1/2 inches
at 300; or 11 inches if I can set the printer to about 230 dpi (I don't
know if I can set it that way yet. PS takes whatever dpi I set).

I would bet a 230 dpi print would look fine.

512MB should be fine in JPEG mode, but memory is cheap.... How much
memory you need is determined by how long the card will be away from the
computer! Get yourself a memory card reader.

Thanks for your reply David.

--
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Irritating Usenet Signature Here.
Old March 3rd 05, 01:17 AM
David J Taylor

Chuck Deitz wrote:
[]
One 'pair' I'm comparing is the Konica-Minolta A2 (8 mpix) and A1 (5
Mpix). I like the anti-shake feature, and I like the camera.

The A2 has 3264 pixels wide. So that should print well for almost 11
inches on my printer when it's set to 300.

The A1 has 2560 pixels in that same dimension, so I'd get 8 1/2 inches
at 300; or 11 inches if I can set the printer to about 230 dpi (I
don't know if I can set it that way yet. PS takes whatever dpi I
set).
I would bet a 230 dpi print would look fine.

The 25% increase in linear resolution should be just noticeable with
critical examination. I think you need to compare other features.

By the way, the fault in the A1's firmware which creates extra JPEG
artefacts (compared to the supplied RAW to JPEG software convertor) was
still present in the A2 I bought. The image quality of the A2 was only
about on a par with that from the Nikon 5700 it was intended to replace,
so I got a refund as I'm not prepared to be forced into using RAW mode all
the time.

Cheers,
David

Old March 3rd 05, 04:00 AM
Chuck Deitz

David J Taylor wrote:

The 25% increase in linear resolution should be just noticeable with
critical examination. I think you need to compare other features.

By the way, the fault in the A1's firmware which creates extra JPEG
artefacts (compared to the supplied RAW to JPEG software convertor) was
still present in the A2 I bought. The image quality of the A2 was only
about on a par with that from the Nikon 5700 it was intended to replace,
so I got a refund as I'm not prepared to be forced into using RAW mode all
the time.

So what did you get?

I'm not worried about RAW. Memory is cheaper than I thought and I doubt
I'll be filling up cards very often.

I also like the Lumix Panasonic FZ5. 4.9 meg. It's also stabilized,
but in the lens.

Ck

Old March 3rd 05, 10:10 AM
David J Taylor

Chuck Deitz wrote:
[]
So what did you get?

I'm not worried about RAW. Memory is cheaper than I thought and I
doubt I'll be filling up cards very often.

I also like the Lumix Panasonic FZ5. 4.9 meg. It's also stabilized,
but in the lens.

In the end, I kept the Nikon 5700 and supplemented it with a Nikon 8400
for wide-angle shots (it is 24mm at widest zoom). My wife got herself a
Panasonic FZ20 and is delighted with it. I don't want to carry round two
cameras, but I do sometimes want long zoom. However, my wife is likely to
want that at the same time as me, so being able to borrow her FZ20 is
unlikely.

To be continued, I suspect....

Cheers,
David