Seeking comments about self photograph

Old May 31st 04, 02:52 AM
parv

Default Seeking comments about self photograph

Besides the low resolution, how is the folllowing self image in
reagrd to composition?

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old June 4th 04, 03:29 AM
Al Denelsbeck

parv wrote in
:

Besides the low resolution, how is the folllowing self image in
reagrd to composition?

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

Hmmm, no one wants to bite, huh? All right, I'll give it a shot...

The layout is intriguing. I like the balance of your own long shadow
filling in the open space alongside the tree. I normally don't like to see
major subjects cut off by the frame edges, but in this case it seems to
emphasize attention more towards your shadow.

The tree's shadow ending at the 'second' horizon line is good. I
think I would have liked it if you'd crouched a bit, hopefully putting the
branches of the tree above the horizon entirely, so the only overlap was
the trunk - sort of enhancing the branches in the sky idea.

Your shadow doesn't quite cut it, I think. The thickness at the
bottom makes it very heavy, tapering up to a very small image of your upper
body. And unfortunately, you're in the photographer's pose, which doesn't
say anything particularly dramatic. It's evident you're taking the picture
of the shadow, really not much else to say. Tricky to do, of course, but
what if you were in another pose? What if you'd leapt into the air and
snapped the shot? Or even just rough-aimed the camera and shot from chest
level, putting your arms into a more 'natural' position? Just
brainstorming...

There are lines that section off the image. The horizon we expect,
and the tree transcends that nicely. But the shadow line cutting across
your own shadow doesn't add to the composition. Hard to make something like
that work, but it's important to be aware of it. If you'd crouched, you
might have been under it, and the separations of the pic might have had
something else to say (and I just thought that crouched with a dog, all in
shadow, might have been pretty compelling).

Interesting idea, needs a little more refinement to be strong. Don't
toss the idea out.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 7th 04, 04:29 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Al Denelsbeck ...

parv wrote in
:

Besides the low resolution, how is the following self image in
regard to composition?

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

Hmmm, no one wants to bite, huh? All right, I'll give it a
shot...

O' Al, The Saviour!

I like the balance of your own long shadow filling in the open
space alongside the tree. I normally don't like to see major
subjects cut off by the frame edges, but in this case it seems to
emphasize attention more towards your shadow.

I myself preferred the shoes to show up also.

The tree's shadow ending at the 'second' horizon line is good. I
think I would have liked it if you'd crouched a bit, hopefully
putting the branches of the tree above the horizon entirely, so
the only overlap was the trunk - sort of enhancing the branches in
the sky idea.

Now i that i see it, i agree w/ the composition of branches in the
sky & shadow on the ground (well, where else would it be anyway).

By crouching, however, the sleek tapered look created by wool overcoat
would have been compromised.

The thickness at the bottom makes it very heavy, tapering up to a
very small image of your upper body.

Well, the big idea was having my shadow along w/ shadow of another
object, preferably displaying the shadow casting object too.

unfortunately, you're in the photographer's pose, which doesn't
say anything particularly dramatic. It's evident you're taking
the picture of the shadow, really not much else to say.

No argument there, but see above.

Tricky to do, of course, but what if you were in
another pose? What if you'd leapt into the air and snapped the
shot? Or even just rough-aimed the camera and shot from chest
level, putting your arms into a more 'natural' position? Just
brainstorming...

Yes, anything to escape the photographer-pose would have been better
such as a side profile however small to be recognized as such captured
by camera-on-tripod.

There are lines that section off the image. The horizon we expect,
and the tree transcends that nicely.

I don't know if you had noticed: the shadow tree /apparently/ is
bent in opposite direction to the real tree. That was what had
attracted to me this secondary object.

But the shadow line cutting across your own shadow doesn't add to
the composition. Hard to make something like that work, but it's
important to be aware of it.

The ground was slanted downwards away from me, that created the ugly
intersecting shadow.

Interesting idea, needs a little more refinement to be strong.
Don't toss the idea out.

I do not have a rain/warm-weather overcoat, or i may have tried
something during these summer. Waiting till next winter...

No, the image of my shadow will be much less appealing in shorts or
pants; i don't do nudes other than looking ...

Thanks much for the comments Al.

- parv

Old June 8th 04, 04:26 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Al Denelsbeck ...

parv wrote in
:

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

The layout is intriguing. I like the balance of your own long
shadow filling in the open space alongside the tree. I normally
don't like to see major subjects cut off by the frame edges, but
in this case it seems to emphasize attention more towards your
shadow. ...

Here is another one...

http://www103.pair.com/parv/tmp/antietam-tower-00-b.jpg

....available until end of Jun 2004.

- parv

Old June 11th 04, 08:23 PM
-xiray-

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:29:48 GMT, Al Denelsbeck
wrote:

parv wrote in
:

Besides the low resolution, how is the folllowing self image in
reagrd to composition?

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

Hmmm, no one wants to bite, huh? All right, I'll give it a shot...

I'll bite. That's an awful composition and boring subject matter and
the color isn't even interesting.

That's a snapshot that I'd bury in the bottom of my stack of discarded
prints if I were you.

Old June 13th 04, 04:04 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote -xiray- ...

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:29:48 GMT, Al Denelsbeck
wrote:

parv wrote in
:

Besides the low resolution, how is the following self image in
regard to composition?

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?update...node_id=318648

Hmmm, no one wants to bite, huh? All right, I'll give it a shot...

I'll bite. That's an awful composition and boring subject matter
and the color isn't even interesting.

Could you elaborate on why the composition is awful?

Until i can acquire a decent scanner, currently the only purpose of my
scanned images is show discernible subject and composition while
looking something like the prints.

That's a snapshot that I'd bury in the bottom of my stack of
discarded prints if I were you.

Why would anybody keep discarded photos around anyway?

- parv

Old June 14th 04, 04:09 PM
-xiray-

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:04:29 -0500, parv
wrote:

Why would anybody keep discarded photos around anyway?

Good question... I've got boxes of them. I too wonder why I keep them.

Old June 14th 04, 11:17 PM
ian green

"-xiray-" :

Why would anybody keep discarded photos around anyway?

Good question... I've got boxes of them. I too wonder why I keep them.

self?punishment

--

ian green

Xeto : photo & graphic project : http://xeto.front.ru
photo galleries @ BlurryImage : http://www.blurryimage.com/user/ian%20green
selected photography : http://ian_green.photosight.ru/
..
EOF

Old June 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"ian green" wrote:
"-xiray-" wrote:

Why would anybody keep discarded photos around anyway?

Good question... I've got boxes of them. I too wonder why I keep them.

self punishment?

Keep them and bequeath them to your descendants.

Whores, politicians and old _bad_ photographs all become respectable
when they get old enough:

http://www.moderna.org/lookatme/pages/index/01-30.html
http://www.consumptive.org/found/foundmain.html

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old June 15th 04, 07:32 AM
ian green

"Nicholas O. Lindan" :
link.net...

Why would anybody keep discarded photos around anyway?
Good question... I've got boxes of them. I too wonder why I keep them.

self punishment?

Keep them and bequeath them to your descendants.

Whores, politicians and old _bad_ photographs all become respectable
when they get old enough:

first two are same thing but i won't let them mix with my works
old photographs are good whether good or bad just for rarity
but i'd better leave more good ones
(yes i know the sun will blow up in 2006 and no photo paper will survive)