critique on photos

Old October 29th 04, 04:52 AM
Pallav

Default critique on photos

hi,

so i recently starting learning photography using an SLR. i read some
books and based on advice from people on these forums got some
equipment. my first field trip was off to the netherlands and i shot a
little bit.

i shot with Fuji Sensia 200 and Ektachrome 400 because some days were
very cloudy and i don't own a tripod just yet. i shot about 5 rolls of
which i've put 3 rolls of the best pictures that came out.

they are at http://purnea.ee.princeton.edu/~pgupta/webalbum

i'd appreciate it if some of you can take a quick look at the pictures
and tell me ways on which i could improve. this was my first time. i'm
still trying to learn the exposure metering system. your trained eyes
will pick up patterns (or mistakes) across the pictures that i'm
repeatedly making and i'd like to improve on that. any comments would
be highly appreciated. if something major (that i'm doing wrong)
stands out, i'd like to know about it.

the pictures might look a little blurry but i think that's the problem
of the scanning/compression. on projection, they look very sharp.

i used a nikon n70 with 50 mm/f1.4 and 24mm/f1.8 lenses. still have to
get a zoom lens.

thanks for your time

pallav
Old October 29th 04, 07:55 AM
Petros

Pallav posted:
[...]

My first observation is that the images are not at all ready for
viewing. You need to learn some basics about scanning and what an image
needs fixed while scanning, and eventually some post-production tips. A
good place to start would be http://scantips.com/ . I took the liberty
to screensave one image and do a quick fix on it to show you what I
mean. You can see it he http://petros.pl/comparison.jpg . This was
done in a freeware program called iCorrect that I dug up on the web. It
only fixes white balance, black and white point, contrast and
brightness, but it's a simple way to start.

Until this kind of correction gets done, it might be difficult for
people to accurately critique your work.

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old October 29th 04, 05:09 PM
sec

On 28 Oct 2004 20:52:46 -0700, (Pallav) wrote:

[...]

Composition is fabulous; you have the makings of a good photographer;
especially the architectural stuff. On the downside, as you say, pics
aren't sharp enough.

Old November 1st 04, 04:46 AM
Michael Weinstein

On 2004-10-28 23:52:46 -0400, (Pallav) said:

hi,

[...]

Well, you have a good camera and I like your film choices and your
exposures seem good. If your focus is sharp (and you say it is, though
these scans are not) then you seem to be doing well. Technically you
are fine and if you cull down the total number of pictures, you seem to
have a good eye. What you need to do now is be BRUTAL on editing your
own work and getting rid of everything that you don't think is
excellent.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."

Old November 1st 04, 04:46 AM
Michael Weinstein

Old November 1st 04, 09:22 PM
Pallav

hi everyone,

thank you all for taking the time to look at them. i rescanned the
photos and did some basic photoshop work to put the pictures.

at http://purnea.ee.princeton.edu/~pgupta/webalbum

hopefully, this will be better than what i had before. thanks to the
various tips offered.

i'll be more selective of the pictures i put up for critique on the
next set.

best wishes,
pallav

Old November 5th 04, 05:06 PM
alfa

Pallav wrote:
i used a nikon n70 with 50 mm/f1.4 and 24mm/f1.8 lenses. still have to
get a zoom lens.

don't get one, prime lens photography is better especially if wide angle

thanks for your time

it wasn't much that I dedicated 'cause i got bored a little and stopped,
you can find compositions and technique seems good but it seems like
they are all pictures there's no point in taking (and hence viewing)
'cause they are too many, express yourself more

alfa

www.alphaphoto.net