Getting started with nature

Old August 25th 04, 04:10 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

...Pro film, like provia 100F at $10/role
plus $8 for developing works out to about $0.50 per frame, ...

'Professional slide film you do not need. It's film that has
been well aged so the color response has stabilized to a gnat's
hair. Unless you are doing work for reprographics don't waste
money - you will not see any difference. Use your money to buy
more film.

I doubt if anybody pays that much for film and processing.
It's about $5/roll

If you are cheap EliteCrome 100 is $2.69.

If you want to see your slides in your retirement Kodachrome is
$5.99. Kodak's Kodachrome processing can be less than $5.

Having a whole mess 'o purple/green Ektachrome slides I recommend
using Kodachrome.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old August 25th 04, 05:34 PM

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
...Pro film, like provia 100F at $10/role
plus $8 for developing works out to about $0.50 per frame, ...

'Professional slide film you do not need. It's film that has
been well aged so the color response has stabilized to a gnat's
hair. Unless you are doing work for reprographics don't waste
money - you will not see any difference. Use your money to buy
more film.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. It has nothing to do with color
accuracy, and more to do with the film's speed, grain and
general color. Fujichrome 100F is the finest
grain color slide film available today, no cheaper consumer
film matches it. Fujichrome velvia 50 had the highest resolution
of any film available today, better than kodachrome 64
(too bad you can no longer get kodachrome 25). The
new Velvia 100 is unmatched.

The new E6 films have a life equal to or better than kodachrome,
but check Wilhelm's research for the details.

Pros, who spend thousands on film would use the cheaper film
if they were equal. They are not. There is a reason
why certain films are used more. Besides, if going
on a once in a lifetime trip, why skimp on images,
when in the scheme of things it is a small cost?

I doubt if anybody pays that much for film and processing.
It's about $5/roll

If you are cheap EliteCrome 100 is $2.69.

If you want to see your slides in your retirement Kodachrome is
$5.99. Kodak's Kodachrome processing can be less than $5.

Having a whole mess 'o purple/green Ektachrome slides I recommend
using Kodachrome.

Modern E6 films have much better life than older E6; have
you been under a rock?
The problem with kodachrome is it is being phased out. It
is hard to find, hard to get processed, and the chemicals
are not environmentally friendly, especially compared
to E6 processing.

Roger

Old August 25th 04, 05:36 PM
PWW

I went all digital a few years ago, so with that in mind;

Fuji is (or was the standard for nature and wildlife for quite a while.
Velvia and Provia has great colors and grain structure. Once I tried
Fujichrome that was all I used. Every time I tested a different film like
Ektachrome, I went right back to Fuji. The grain and colors was just so much
better for me.

One important aspect is who does the processing. I would hardily recommend
sending the film out by mailers to the manufactures labs, either Kodak or
Fuji. Smaller labs might not mix the chemicals correctly or use fast
processing chemicals (which adds a lot of contrast into the slide IMHO) or
they might not wash the film long enough and you will get quick color
changes in a couple of years instead of decades. Sure the large labs could
screw up also but the chances are a whole lot less.

Which ever film you pick use it a lot to learn the films idiosyncrasies
BEFORE any big trip or photo safari.

Personally I love Digital!!!
Film... We don't need no stinking film.. Just kidding folks.

PWW
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

On 8/25/04 11:10 AM, in article
. net, "Nicholas O. Lindan"

Old August 25th 04, 07:40 PM
The Wogster

PWW wrote:
I went all digital a few years ago, so with that in mind;

One important aspect is who does the processing. I would hardily recommend
sending the film out by mailers to the manufactures labs, either Kodak or
Fuji. Smaller labs might not mix the chemicals correctly or use fast
processing chemicals (which adds a lot of contrast into the slide IMHO) or
they might not wash the film long enough and you will get quick color
changes in a couple of years instead of decades. Sure the large labs could
screw up also but the chances are a whole lot less.

Actually a smaller lab is more likely to be more careful, you need to
make sure that the work you do is very good, because you can't afford to
lose customers. Big labs are less likely to mind losing a customer,
because they have so many. I don't do slides anymore, but looking for a
decent C-41 lab, I asked a couple of pros I met, and they both
recommended the same lab, so I will try that lab.

Which ever film you pick use it a lot to learn the films idiosyncrasies
BEFORE any big trip or photo safari.

This should be a given....

Personally I love Digital!!!
Film... We don't need no stinking film.. Just kidding folks.

Actually on nature trails, it can be hard to find an electric plug, to
recharge that digital battery. My film camera gets a year out of a
battery, and I can carry a dozen rolls of film in my backpack easily....

Old August 25th 04, 09:49 PM
PWW

On 8/25/04 2:40 PM, in article ,
"The Wogster" wrote:

PWW wrote:
[...]

Actually that is not my experience at all. Every small lab I have ever dealt
with eventually damaged some of my slides. And I would move on to the next
one. I never had a single problem with the mailers. So eventually I went to
mailers alone. I am talking about E-6 labs, you know slides, not C-41
prints. I hope your "Pros" did not recommend a C-41 Lab for slides. :-) And
if you are talking about print film, forget it shoot slides.

Maybe I just shot a lot more, I used to shoot about 11 rolls a day average
when I was into a project. Most of the "Pros" I know also use mailers. But
hey, to each their own. They are your images.

Which ever film you pick use it a lot to learn the films idiosyncrasies
BEFORE any big trip or photo safari.

This should be a given....

Should be, but you might be surprised how many people change film, cameras,
lenses just before a big shoot. I guess it is the procrastination devil in
each of us.

Personally I love Digital!!!
Film... We don't need no stinking film.. Just kidding folks.

Actually on nature trails, it can be hard to find an electric plug, to
recharge that digital battery. My film camera gets a year out of a
battery, and I can carry a dozen rolls of film in my backpack easily....

Hmmm. I never had a problem with my battery (besides you could carry extra
batteries), it usually gave out before I did, and with my newer Digital
Nikon, I can go for days and days and I can shoot thousands of images before
a battery problem. And with my trusty 4 gig Flashcard, I can save those
thousands right on that magic little plastic square. An example; recently I
shot all day and took well over 2 thousand images. Try that with film.
That's at least 55 rolls of 36 exposure.

I never have to be concerned when I see some wildlife action developing and
I only have 5 or 6 shots left my roll. And I have to make a decision to
change the roll quickly to make sure I have enough to shoot the sequence or
hope I can shoot it on the remaining slides. Heck with my new camera, I can
shoot 8 frames a second. In 5 seconds I would have ran through one 36 roll
of film. I am not advocating shooting like that but it is really nice to
have it when you need it.

I can view immediately a small image of what I just shot and check exposure,
placement and many other aspects. With slides one always needs to wait to
get slide back to be absolutely sure everything turned out correctly. And I
like to shoot in those dramatic weird lighting conditions.

And the quality is so much better than scanning slides into digital format.
Plus by shooting raw I can manipulate my image with super high quality
results using the original pixel data.

And one last advantage. I really shoot a lot more with digital. Because it
doesn't cost any more and I don't lose anything except time to try different
things. It is liberating for me. I did have to shoot something a few months
ago with film and it felt like I had to go back to using a Model -T. Yuck.

I love Digital...

PWW