Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware???

Old August 15th 04, 10:16 PM
Tom Scales

Hmm, can't imagine wanting to do that. I have both and the features of the
D70 are superior to the D100.

They're such different cameras too.

Why risk it?

Tom
"Mark Mestman" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone here heard a rumor that one can successfully change the
D70's firmware over to the D100's firmware version, for the sake of
improved features/performance in the D70?

I just bought my D70 and I mostly love it...my first digital slr. My
only reservation about the D70 is that when shooting with the built-in
speedlight, I must change the white balance value all the way to -3,
in order to get rid of the markedly blue cast the speedlight gives the
images.

I used the Coolpix 995 for three years before making the change to the
D70, and found the 995 required the white balance to be tuned to -1,
to get rid of the 995's blue cast in images shot with its built-in
flash.

Anyways, any ideas one the speedlight's blue color temperature, and/or
on the rumor of such an arbitrary and radical firmware change??

Thanks,

Mark

Old August 15th 04, 10:20 PM
Darrell Larose

This is an urban legend, Canon took the guts of the 10D and put them in a
body made by Mattel with a Fisher-Price lens. Canon then crippled the
indentical internals through the firmware. Nikon designed the D70 from the
bottom up. The sensor and internal electronics are all new. Therefore
different camera with different firmware. BTW- Many don't consider the D7- a
lesser camera. The Drebel is a lesser camera than the 10D.

Old August 16th 04, 02:06 AM
Tom Scales

Default Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware???

I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
sensor.

ogers.com...

Old August 16th 04, 02:12 PM
Tomas Daniska

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
sensor.

yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

--

deejay

Old August 16th 04, 11:46 PM
Darrell Larose

"Tomas Daniska" wrote in message
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I'm with you except the sensor. I thought the D70 and D100 had the same
sensor.

yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in d100.
so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is making
their own sensor for the D2H.

Old August 18th 04, 03:22 PM
Tomas Daniska

yes and no. d70 uses a "second-generation" revision of the sensor in
d100.
so the same sony 6mp sensor model, but refreshed design.

There is a suggestion that it was a Nikon fabricated sensor. Nikon is
making
their own sensor for the D2H.

D2H: Nikon-developed LBCAST sensor. So yes, their own, or more likely
"quasi-own" (manufactured according to Nikon design & specs) as I don't
think Nikon owns a silicon-processing fab...

D100: standard Sony 6MP CCD
D70: same as above, but "2nd generation"

--

deejay