getting sued over wedding pictures

Old July 23rd 04, 09:34 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default getting sued over wedding pictures

Just deny you were even there - if you were taking the photos, you won't be
in any of them!

"Ron" wrote in message ...
A friend of mines who invited me to his wedding begged me to take his
wedding pictures (he knows I have pro equipment, new 1Dmk2 etc..) He said
they were short of money and would love it if I took pictures. Anyhow I

did
take pictures (140) and him+newwife are not happy at all with any of the
images and are planning to sue me. First of all I did this as a favor and
for no charge they made the decision to skip out on a wedding photographer
and use me for free (and I emphasize as a favor). Can they actually sue

me?
This is worrysome since I never had legal issues in my life.

Old July 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
Frank ess

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

And remember a contract generally requires an exchange of value
(money) If they didn't pay you no contract no responsibility on your
part (generally) It would get laughed out of almost any court.

Considering the tripe people watch on television courtroom shows,
there's a market for this kind of thing. :-) Or, perhaps the Jerry
Springer show.

Still waiting for someone to ask:

"How bad must they be that the subjects didn't like even one?"

Hard to believe.

Frank ess

Old July 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Don Forsling

There is no contract but not because no money changed hands. There is no
contract because there is none of what is called "consideration" given by
the guy who got married. Both sides to a contract have to "give" something
before there is a contract. That is what in the legal world is called
"consideration. The photographer agreed to take the pictures
("consideration" on his part). The guy who got married didn't agree to give
anything (zip consideration on his part). No contract between these parties
was ever made. Ignore the guy's threats...

"BG250" wrote in message
It was a favor. There is such a thing as a verbal agreement but no money
changed hands. What can he sue you for?

Now I'm wondering if I can sue a troll...

Old July 23rd 04, 10:24 PM
Sabineellen

Still waiting for someone to ask:

"How bad must they be that the subjects didn't like even one?"

Hard to believe.

Yeah I'm wondering if this is for real or just a troll. But someone the other
day posted a similar thing about being sued due to wedding photography

http://tinyurl.com/6lddr

If you actually search newsgroups you'll see that it happens, and not
uncommonly. The thing is, I'm sure someone who's committed to photography
enough to own a 1Dmk2 would know at least the basics of how to take good
photographs. They probably are decent photographs, photographically, but I
suspect the bride is furious that he didn't make her look like Estella Warren
and the groom is disappointed that he doesn't look like Brad Pitt.

Old July 23rd 04, 10:28 PM
Paul H.

"Ron" wrote in message ...
A friend of mines who invited me to his wedding begged me to take his
wedding pictures (he knows I have pro equipment, new 1Dmk2 etc..) He said
they were short of money and would love it if I took pictures. Anyhow I

did
take pictures (140) and him+newwife are not happy at all with any of the
images and are planning to sue me. First of all I did this as a favor and
for no charge they made the decision to skip out on a wedding photographer
and use me for free (and I emphasize as a favor). Can they actually sue

me?
This is worrysome since I never had legal issues in my life.

Perhaps you can deflect his anger in another direction by telling him, "I
took a close look at the photos I shot of you and your bride and the images
are certainly true-to-life. After you remove all the mirrors from your
house, maybe you two should think about suing God. Or your parents. And
try not to look at each other while eating or you'll wind up suing each
other."

Old July 23rd 04, 10:33 PM
Paul H.

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message

Ron wrote:

A friend of mines who invited me to his wedding begged me to take his
wedding pictures (he knows I have pro equipment, new 1Dmk2 etc..) He

said
they were short of money and would love it if I took pictures. Anyhow

did
take pictures (140) and him+newwife are not happy at all with any of

the
images and are planning to sue me. First of all I did this as a favor

and
for no charge they made the decision to skip out on a wedding

photographer
and use me for free (and I emphasize as a favor). Can they actually

sue
me?
This is worrysome since I never had legal issues in my life.

I can only wonder just what they intend to sue you FOR? Breach of
contract? Tough without a contract. They didn't get what they paid
for? Hmmm... Of course I'm sure you've already offered to return to
them all that they paid you

There are doctrines called equitable estoppel and promissory estoppel,

both
of which use reliance in place of consideration (technically, equitable
estoppel is not a contract doctrine; promissory estoppel is). There might
even be a _technical_ basis for a fraud claim.

This is, however, a technical legal analysis, and not an opinion as to the
merit of a suit brought against this photographer by his so-called friend.

And here I thought "estoppel" was just a fancy French name for a butt-plug!
That's what I like about rec.photo.digital--you learn something new every
single freakin' day!