48 bit in psp

Old July 23rd 04, 03:45 AM
Ken Weitzel

Default 48 bit in psp

Hi...

I have a question; hope it's not too stupid, and that
someone has the answer at hand...

When I scan 48 bit (imported to psp), then
tweak it and save it, have I "thrown away"
the additional 4 bits per channel info?

I think the reason I'm confusing myself is
that the file size stays the same; in other words
if psp did convert it to 24 bit, then has the
additional info been converted to 0's, or is it
still 48 bit...

I wish my windows would allow seeing 48 bit; then
I'd know for sure. Best bet I have now is looking
at the count colors info - *much* greater with 48 bit.

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

Old July 23rd 04, 10:26 AM
Matti Vuori

Ken Weitzel wrote in newsZ_Lc.94009$Mr4.41387
@pd7tw1no:
I have a question; hope it's not too stupid, and that
someone has the answer at hand...

No, but the newsgroup is not the best possible. There is, after all, a
dedicated PSP newsgroup: comp.graphics.app.paint-shop-pro.

When I scan 48 bit (imported to psp), then
tweak it and save it, have I "thrown away"
the additional 4 bits per channel info?

No: the additional 8 bits per channel.

I think the reason I'm confusing myself is
that the file size stays the same

If the file is scanned to PSP, no matter what the scanner driver says, it
is 24 bits when it arrives in PSP.

--
Matti Vuori, http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm

Old July 23rd 04, 11:53 PM
Don

It depends on the format used to save the picture. If you save it in a 16
bit/pixel format such as PSD, 16-bit TIFF, 16-bit JPEG 2000 (not standsard
JPEG), you will retain all of the data. If you save it as JPEG or regular
TIFF you will end up with 8 bits/pixel.

Don

Old July 24th 04, 11:51 PM
Daniel Lindström

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:53:06 -0700, "Don" wrote:

It depends on the format used to save the picture. If you save it in a 16
bit/pixel format such as PSD, 16-bit TIFF, 16-bit JPEG 2000 (not standsard
JPEG), ... snip ...

No! You can't do that in PSP (Pain Shop Pro).

/Daniel L.