20D or 5D

Old August 23rd 05, 06:12 AM
GTO

If the D200 is similar to the posts that currently circulate in cyberspace,
I assume it will list for around US$1600. Everything above US$2000 would be
unwise. Of course, if the D200 comes with a CCD that offers extended dynamic
range, people would jump on it even without "full format" image sensor.

My D200 pipe dream is one that has a 10MPixel CCD with a 1/500 flash sync,
very fast auto focus, fully enabled MLU and the stability we know from the
D100. It shall list for US$1599. - But that's just a pipedream ;-(

Gregor

"frederick" wrote in message
GTO wrote:

In 2006, what will be my Nikon upgrade for my D70?

Almost certainly a DX sensor 12.? mp D200, hopefully available before the
end of 2005.
If Nikon release the D200 at a similar price to the 5d, then I'll sell my
Nikon gear.

Old August 23rd 05, 06:29 AM
pixby

Stacey wrote:
MarkČ wrote

no pesky built-in flash

Why is a built in flash "pesky"? On the camera I use, you can use the flip
up flash along with a shoe mounted "bounce flash?, adjust the output of
each independantly so you can shoot a perfectly balanced "bounce plus
fill". That doesn't seem pesky to me and has resulted in the most natural
looking flash shots I've ever taken.

Is there an actual down side to a built in flash other than it doesn't
sound "pro"?

Certainly is on a 20D. Use it at your peril!
Mine fried the camera when I used it instead of a Speedlight at a Santa
shoot last year. Great move by Canon to fix the interference problems---
Just take it out!

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net
Old August 23rd 05, 06:30 AM
GTO

Depending on the power consumption of the 5D in standby-mode, you may not
have to always switch off your camera. While moving around taking pictures,
I try to avoid switching off my D70 even when putting it into my bag. - But
perhaps the EOS type of cameras drain the battery too quickly when turned on
(?).

Gregor

"ThomasH" wrote in message
On 22-Aug-05 17:09, Rob wrote:
Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D? I wonder
if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional? For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

This is what Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscapes also thinks:
This price will fall down. However what makes me think against
the 5D, is the bizarre set of controls. I miss the EOS-1 like or
EOS-3 like set of buttons on the left. This wheel on the left
is such a waste. Its one of the reasons that I left out EOS-20D.

And, I will probably die and never guess why Canon is placing
the on-off button on this strange place. I can switch on and
off my Nikon with one hand while pulling it out of the bag.
Canon better stays on, you cannot reach this silly switch.

Thomas.

Old August 23rd 05, 06:32 AM
pixby

frederick wrote:
GTO wrote:

In 2006, what will be my Nikon upgrade for my D70?

Almost certainly a DX sensor 12.? mp D200, hopefully available before
the end of 2005.
If Nikon release the D200 at a similar price to the 5d, then I'll sell
my Nikon gear.

How much for cash?

Old August 23rd 05, 06:38 AM
Skip M

Rob wrote in message ...
Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional? For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

It was $1499 on intro, so it's dropped $261 in the year since. And it would
be difficult to justify the extra expense of the 5D over the 20D unless you
need full frame for wide angle lens usage, or you need the spot meter. The
50% more resolution will only come into play at sizes of somewhere in the
neighborhood of 24x36 inch prints, in my opinion.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 23rd 05, 06:38 AM
Skip M

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message eenews.net...
MarkČ wrote:
What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how
those needs stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D
isn't universally ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5
frames per second in jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames
(any mode).

Has it got a good movie mode? ;-)

-Mike

I hope you're joking....

Old August 23rd 05, 06:42 AM
Kirk Sivet

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:09:51 -0500, Rob wrote:

Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional? For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

Maybe the question should be for which camera is a better value at
the current prices?
Old August 23rd 05, 06:48 AM
Mike Warren

Skip M wrote:

Has it got a good movie mode? ;-)

I hope you're joking....

Of course. See the wink? ;-)

-Mike

Old August 23rd 05, 06:49 AM
frederick

pixby wrote:
frederick wrote:

GTO wrote:

In 2006, what will be my Nikon upgrade for my D70?

Almost certainly a DX sensor 12.? mp D200, hopefully available before
the end of 2005.
If Nikon release the D200 at a similar price to the 5d, then I'll sell
my Nikon gear.

How much for cash?

Auction.
I don't expect it to happen. I do expect that the D200 will be at an
attractive price.