Pocket size digital

Old April 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Rosanne Cleveland-King

Default Pocket size digital

I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd like
a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a pocket.
I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD display, as I
have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

Rosanne

Old April 19th 05, 06:30 PM
Manzoorul Hassan

I have a Minolta DiMAGE G400 (4.0 MegaPixel) and am quite happy with it
because of the ease of carrying it around. I know they also have a G600
(yes, you guessed it - it's 6.0 Mega Pixel) that is about the same form
factor.

I am sure neither of these would be comparable to your Nikon 5000 or
SONY 717, but if it's a "pocket camera" you're looking for, you will
have to sacrifice on the quality - at least somewhat.

- manzoor

Old April 19th 05, 06:52 PM
Stormlady

I have the Nikon CP 5600 and I'm pretty happy with that, it's new from Nikon
and is 5.1 mp. I use it mainly for pics of my daughter and little movies of
her. It has a fair number of features and is small and easy to use. I have
no complaints. It was pretty expensive though, $550 for camera, card and
card reader. $550 Canadian so it would of course be cheaper in the U.S.
. ..

Old April 19th 05, 07:17 PM
ASAAR

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:07:03 -0400, Rosanne Cleveland-King wrote:

I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels.
I'd like a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip
into a pocket. I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large
LCD display, as I have vision problems.

I'm pretty sure that Sony's DSC-W5 (5 megapixels) has a
viewfinder, but you might want to check that for yourself. It's
fairly small ((3.6" x 2.4" x 1.5") and has a large 2.5" display. It
also has more sophisticated features available than many other small
cameras which you can use if you are so inclined. Such as live
histograms, an AF illuminator, manual mode, etc. It also uses a
pair of AA batteries.

Old April 19th 05, 07:55 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Rosanne Cleveland-King wrote:
I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd like
a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a pocket.
I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD display, as I
have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

I recently picked up a Sony P200 as a supplement to our Canon DSLR. I
reviewed many cameras and found the P200 have the best feature set at
the best price. The main reasons I chose it we very small size that
fit well in a pocket; battery life is fantastic; 7mp resolution; good
quality lens with very little purple fringing; displays histogram,
aperture, shutter setting BEFORE the picture is taken; has a sports mode
unlike the Canon SD500 and some others; has a fairly decent movie mode;
the display has a thick protective shield from the factory (many models
do not); virtually has no red eye in flash shots; and it allows full
manual control for shutter speed and aperture settings which is very
rare for an ultra compact camera. Add to the above that the P200 can be
bought for $300-$350 on the internet and I don't know of any other ultra
compact camera that comes close to its price/performance ratio.

I have had the camera for two months now and it has fulfilled all my
expectations. The only weakness I have found is that it defaults to a
1/40 sec shutter speed for flash shots. I need to keep a little more
steady hand to make sure the picture doesn't blur. This can be
mitigated by setting the mode dial to manual and shutter speed to 1/60
or 1/100 second. Also, choosing the "Sport" mode will increase shutter
speed on flash shots. Personally, I don't find this to be a major issue
with the camera. Some others might though.
Old April 21st 05, 01:53 AM
Sheldon

"Rosanne Cleveland-King" wrote in message
. ..
I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd
like a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a
pocket. I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD
display, as I have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

Rosanne

Shirt pocket or coat pocket? I was over at Wal-Mart the other day and was
quite impressed with the selection of name-brand, very small cameras they
had. Pick a few up and see if one turns you on. Most will produce images
that are similar, IMHO.

Old April 21st 05, 07:26 AM
Bob Williams

Rosanne Cleveland-King wrote:
I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd like
a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a pocket.
I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD display, as I
have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

Rosanne

The new Olympus Stylus 500 is a tiny 5 MP P/S with a huge LCD display.
Bob Williams

Old April 21st 05, 03:05 PM
Don Stauffer

Sheldon wrote:
"Rosanne Cleveland-King" wrote in message
. ..

I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd
like a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a
pocket. I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD
display, as I have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

Rosanne

Shirt pocket or coat pocket? I was over at Wal-Mart the other day and was
quite impressed with the selection of name-brand, very small cameras they
had. Pick a few up and see if one turns you on. Most will produce images
that are similar, IMHO.

But avoid those little ones (usually VGA resolution) that have no memory
cards, only an internal memory. They use some sort of memory which is
very power hungry. You need to rush home and download the image(s)
right away, or the battery will die and the pictures will be lost. Some
last only a few hours once you take a picture or two. These are
cheapies, usually in the forty buck range. Attractive because of the
very small size and low price, but you pay quite a price in utility.
Old April 25th 05, 01:29 PM
Stewy

"Sheldon" wrote:

"Rosanne Cleveland-King" wrote in message
. ..
I use a Nikon 5000 and a Sony DSC 717 which are both 5 megapixels. I'd
like a small digital camera 5 or more megapixels that I can slip into a
pocket. I believe I'd like one with both a viewfinder and a large LCD
display, as I have vision problems.
Recommendations from anyone, please?

Rosanne

Shirt pocket or coat pocket? I was over at Wal-Mart the other day and was
quite impressed with the selection of name-brand, very small cameras they
had. Pick a few up and see if one turns you on. Most will produce images
that are similar, IMHO.

Take a look at the Fuji F450 - about the size of an MD walkman.