Superwide point and shoot? Are they out there?

Old September 26th 04, 07:33 PM
Sleighteem

Default Superwide point and shoot? Are they out there?

Hi.

I have never found a pocketable point and shoot camera with a very
wide-angle lens. So I have to lug around an SLR if I need, say, the
field of view of a 20mm.

Is there a truly compact P&S camera on the market with something as
wide as a 20mm or wider? Perhaps the closest thing would be a Bessa
RF with the 21mm, but that's not so convenient or affordable.

Thanks for reading my post!

Old September 26th 04, 08:16 PM
Böwsér

It's only close, but the new Nikon 8400 (digital) goes down to 24mm
(equivilant 135).

om...

Old September 26th 04, 09:14 PM
Matt White

Sleighteem wrote:

Hi.

I have never found a pocketable point and shoot camera with a very
wide-angle lens. So I have to lug around an SLR if I need, say, the
field of view of a 20mm.

Is there a truly compact P&S camera on the market with something as
wide as a 20mm or wider? Perhaps the closest thing would be a Bessa
RF with the 21mm, but that's not so convenient or affordable.

Thanks for reading my post!

There's the Pentax 24EW, with a 24-105mm range. Since it's a P&S zoom it's a
very slow lens, but it's a very compact camera. Decent exposure
compensation controls, too.

- Matt White

Old September 26th 04, 09:34 PM
Bill Tuthill

"Sleighteem" wrote:

I have never found a pocketable point and shoot camera with a very
wide-angle lens. So I have to lug around an SLR if I need, say, the
field of view of a 20mm.

Is there a truly compact P&S camera on the market with something as
wide as a 20mm or wider? Perhaps the closest thing would be a Bessa
RF with the 21mm, but that's not so convenient or affordable.

"B=F6ws=E9r" wrote:

It's only close, but the new Nikon 8400 (digital) goes down to 24mm=20
(equivilant 135).

Pentax makes the Espio 24EW with 24-105/4.9-12.5 lens and a fairly
good feature set, though maximum shutter speed is only 1/400.

Fuji makes the Silvi Silvi F2.8 with 24-50/2.8-5.6 lens, which is
probably a better camera, but it's hard to find in the US.

Old September 26th 04, 10:20 PM
Joseph Kewfi

Is there a truly compact P&S camera on the market with something as wide
as a 20mm or wider?

If you can find one, the Ricoh GR21 has gotten praise but won't be cheap.

Old September 26th 04, 11:24 PM
Bandicoot

"Sleighteem" wrote in message
om...
Hi.

I have never found a pocketable point and shoot camera with a very
wide-angle lens. So I have to lug around an SLR if I need, say, the
field of view of a 20mm.

Is there a truly compact P&S camera on the market with something as
wide as a 20mm or wider? Perhaps the closest thing would be a Bessa
RF with the 21mm, but that's not so convenient or affordable.

Thanks for reading my post!

The only thing I can think of is the Ricoh GR21, with its 21mm f3.5. Sadly
no longer in production. Whilst it is in many ways an excellent camera,
used ones are currently ludicrously over-priced.

Peter