Quick Release Plate on Camera - Will this Compromise Handheld Shooting?

Old September 25th 04, 04:33 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Werner wrote:

I'm shopping for a new tripod and head and am considering a head with a
quick release. If I'm not mistaken, this means I need to screw a
quick-release plate onto the bottom of my camera. My question is, if I
have this plate on the bottom of my camera, would it be bulky or screw
up the weighting of the camera if I'm shooting hand-held?

Plates sometimes stick out and jab you in the chest if you're carrying with a
strap. The weight is negligible in most cases.

Old September 25th 04, 07:42 PM
Paul W. Ross

I bought a Quantray (sp?) last January that came with a pair of
plates. I have a pair of Pentax ZX-M bodies -- one for color, other
for B&W. They aren't very bulky, but I do remove them for hand holding
and just attach them when I'm heading out for a session that I know I
will use the tripod.
Old September 26th 04, 06:58 AM
Dave

No. Weight is not an issue, though the bulk may be for some. I have an RRS
QR plate -- It is small, aluminum, unobtrusive.

Dave

"Peter Werner" wrote in message
news
I'm shopping for a new tripod and head and am considering a head with a
quick release. If I'm not mistaken, this means I need to screw a
quick-release plate onto the bottom of my camera. My question is, if I
have this plate on the bottom of my camera, would it be bulky or screw
up the weighting of the camera if I'm shooting hand-held?

Peter

--
If replying by email, be sure to remove KILL SPAM from return address.

Old September 27th 04, 04:23 AM

Kibo informs me that Peter Werner
stated that:

I'm shopping for a new tripod and head and am considering a head with a
quick release. If I'm not mistaken, this means I need to screw a
quick-release plate onto the bottom of my camera. My question is, if I
have this plate on the bottom of my camera, would it be bulky or screw
up the weighting of the camera if I'm shooting hand-held?

It's mostly a matter of personal preference. I shoot a 10D + vertical
grip, with a recent model Manfrotto quick-release plate mounted most of
the time. I find that it doesn't get in the way when shooting
horizontally, but it can get annoying when shooting vertically. OTOH,
the screw is easily removed by hand, so if the plate's getting the way,
I can quickly remove it & throw it in my camera bag or pocket.