Sensor Film (for cleaning sensor)

Old April 10th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Sensor Film (for cleaning sensor)

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps dust like crazy.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old April 10th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:46:55 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps dust like crazy.

Thanks for this, Paul.

I agree, it looks very good indeed. I used something very similar for
cleaning lens surfaces and - if used with care - it was excellent.

My Kodak DCS Pro 14n has acquired a large blob of dust on the sensor
so, rather than pay $$ for professional cleaning, I have ordered one
of these cleaning kits.

I will try it, and report back.

Cool, yes, let us know. I'll bet blue painter's masking tape works well.
I've used that to protect lenses while machining/grinding and it always
comes off perfectly clean.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old April 10th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 10-04-10 1:46 , Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps dust like crazy.

Neat idea.

Before buying this I'd suggest anyone watch the video.

I'm not sure what the gap is between the shutter and the filter. So I'm
concerned that if the shutter is closed while the product is on the
filter glass that it could get into the blades of the shutter (by
contact or splashing from vibration ... it looks viscous so splashing
may not be an issue, but the gap may not be sufficient).

I think I'd stick to the blower or swab method.

For your bellows could you put an NC filter between the bellows and the
body that seals off the body?

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 11th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps dust like crazy.

Neat idea.

Before buying this I'd suggest anyone watch the video.

I'm not sure what the gap is between the shutter and the filter. So I'm
concerned that if the shutter is closed while the product is on the
filter glass that it could get into the blades of the shutter (by
contact or splashing from vibration ... it looks viscous so splashing
may not be an issue, but the gap may not be sufficient).

Yeah, that's what the second dab on the paper is for, so the pull tab
doesn't get thwacked by the mirror if the battery fails. Keeping the
mirror locked for 3 hours to dry sounds kind of crazy though.

I think I'd stick to the blower or swab method.

I'm going to try masking tape. Swabs drive me nuts.

For your bellows could you put an NC filter between the bellows and the
body that seals off the body?

Yep, I found this idea in a discussion of that idea.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old April 11th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-10 17:13:17 -0700, Paul Furman said:

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
[...]

I found the Speckgrabber to be a useful tool for picking off some spots
with having to resort to wet cleaning
http://kinetronics.com/store/speckgrabber_product.html
They have quite a shopping list of goodies for dust maniacs.
http://www.kinetronics.com/store/photoproducts.html

I perfected wet cleaning and spot hunting with my D70, which seemed to
be a dust magnet. With the sensor dust removal system on the D300s and
the D300 before that, all I have needed was a quick puff with a
Giotto's rocket.

For wet cleaning I use one of the Photographic Solutions kits.
http://www.photosol.com/
and I keep one or two of their sealed package Sensor Swab Plus in my
bag in case of real emegencies which the blower can't solve when I am
away from home.
http://www.photosol.com/swabplus.htm

Savageduck

Old April 11th 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps
dust like crazy. --
Paul Furman

This one (Dust-Aid) looked really easy to use --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAGwI_afY0.
Has anyone tried it?
--DR

Old April 11th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C.P. Robbins

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:26:35 +0100, Bruce wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:16:38 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Apr 10, 1:46*am, Paul Furman wrote:
http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps dust like crazy.

--
Paul Furmanwww.edgehill.netwww.baynatives.com

It might work well. 3M made a paint and peel lens cleaner (it was
black) that would remove dust particles much smaller than with wet or
blower cleaning. I never saw it in the consumer realm.

It was widely available in the UK. Or at least a similar product was,
because I don't recall it being made by 3M.

All of which induce an even stronger electrostatic charge on the substrate
as it is peeled off, making it an even greater dust magnet afterward. (This
method of optics cleaning is nothing new by the way. Collodion methods have
been used for centuries. Goggle: optics cleaning collodion) 3M has done a
lot in their adhesives research to try to prevent inducing a static charge
between adhesive and the foundations to which they are applied and removed,
but a completely neutral substance to the triboelectric scale is wholly
impossible. I recently had to research this when trying to find a good belt
material for a many-megavolt electrostatic generator--considering even some
of 3M's adhesive tapes for the purpose (adhesive removed, of course). Their
formulations for adhesives will bleed off a charge while they are in place,
but they can do little about the problem when the two different layers are
pulled away from each other. They are non-electrostatic inducing while
applied but not when separated.

My photography work-flow is free and clear of all these image and
opportunity destroying problems. I only buy cameras without all these
encumbrances.

Old April 11th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-11 05:46:24 -0700, "David Ruether" said:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it
clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps
dust like crazy. --
Paul Furman

This one (Dust-Aid) looked really easy to use --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAGwI_afY0.
Has anyone tried it?
--DR

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3008

Savageduck

Old April 11th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default |AX| Sensor Film (for cleaning sensor)

John A. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I find my windshield is at its cleanest after I chip ice off it. Maybe
a drop of water and a little liquid nitrogen would do the trick
without introducing static.

The post-peel static issue could be tested easily on any piece of glass.
I wouldn't take the troll's word for it. If it's a problem, savageduck's
kinetronics link above has all sorts of static controlling products.
http://www.kinetronics.com/store/photoproducts.html
I like the idea of giving the whole mirror box a good cleaning while the
sensor is painted over. It's not clear to me how all those anti-static
products work, the speck-grabber seems like a little swab of microfiber
cloth but how do you clean it after using? I'm inclined to buy a pack of
microfiber cloth at the drug store, cut it into smaller pieces and use
those as disposable mirror box wipes. For the brushes, I'd need some
sort of breathable bag to dry them in after washing or more dust would
just settle in from the air as they dry :-(

Plus those anti-static cleaning brushes use static charge to attract the
dust, but how could that eliminate static on the glass?

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old April 11th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
Paul Furman wrote...

http://www.sensor-film.com/cleaning.html
Paint on a rubber stuff then peel off, clean.
Sounds like a good idea, I need to use at least a dozen swabs to get it clean for f/22 macro type shots, plus the bellows pumps
dust like crazy.

This one (Dust-Aid) looked really easy to use --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAGwI_afY0.
Has anyone tried it?

Looks good. Their faq has some caveats:
http://www.dust-aid.com/08faq.html
-which is a reminder that probably even with the paint-on stuff, you'd
need a wet cleaning once in a while. Or at least I would g.

I'm thinking the problem with my masking tape idea is getting it pressed
down firmly, that stuff is kind of wrinkly and might miss spots. I'll
try it and report back when I get the nerve.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net