Battery drain when not in use

Old July 23rd 04, 01:58 PM
Joseph Meehan

Default Battery drain when not in use

Mike wrote:
I have an Olympus C-750 camera. When not in use, the battery drains
in about a week.

I called the company and they claim it is normal for the camera to
drain the battery when it is turned off. Is this true???

If I take out the batteries, I will loose the date and time stamp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What kind of cells are you using? Mine last a lot longer than a week,
but cells can be different.

It is true that most cameras has come drain when not in use. It is also
true that some cells self discharge faster than others.

It is also true that if you don't shut down your digital camera, it is
likely to dray a lot of power.

What memory device are you using?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old July 23rd 04, 02:58 PM
BG250

Your doing better than me. I got a Fuji Finpix A330 and the batteries are
dead overnight. The camera is off (lens cover fully closed) and not
connected to anything.

I don't know the type of memory card your camera uses, but in my case, Fuji
claims some cards will drain the batteries. Mine uses xD which should not
drain the batt. Try removing the card during storage.

Do you keep the camera connected to anything?

How old are the batteries? After several charge discharge cycles, the
batteries can become weak and not hold a full charge as a new one.

My digital rebel and finepix 6800 will last for weeks if not months on a
charge even though I use them on the weekends for a few shots.
bg

om...

Old July 23rd 04, 03:15 PM
Ron Hunter

Mike wrote:
I have an Olympus C-750 camera. When not in use, the battery drains
in about a week.

I called the company and they claim it is normal for the camera to
drain the battery when it is turned off. Is this true???

If I take out the batteries, I will loose the date and time stamp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

It is normal for a camera to draw current when not 'on', but it is NOT
normal for it to run down batteries in a week.
If this is normal for that model camera, then the engineers really
messed up.
Old July 25th 04, 07:26 AM
Fred

Sounds like a similar problem to what I have now, only yours is not as
severe. I had never had battery drain problems like this over a 1-2 week
period. I have a film camera that will hold the date, etc., for months and
still not appreciable change in battery strength.

Sounds to me like this C-700 series Olympus has a design flaw in the power
circuitry. With mine, one day, the camera felt hot to the touch. After that,
the "battery empty" message comes up even when the batteries are new/good.
I'm about ready to send it off to Olympus for the $155 repair and
accompanying 1 year warranty.

Sorry, not much help, just commiseration.

Fred

Some battery drain, yes, but it shouldn't be noticeable in a week or two.