2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

Old November 13th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default 2018 Comparison of Nvidia GPU on LR and PS tasks

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.

It has only been about a year since we last looked at GPU
performance in Photoshop, but a number of developments have
occurred that made us what to re-do this testing. First, our old
testing didn't include the GTX 1080 Ti, Titan Xp, or Titan V and we
are curious if these newer cards can give us any performance gains.
Second, we have just published our internally developed Photoshop
CC 2018 benchmark and made it available for public download.
Because of this, we wanted to have a set of scores (specifically
the "GPU Score") available for anyone who wants to see how their
existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs."

Eric Stevens
Old November 13th 18, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 13/11/2018 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.

Interesting, thanks.

A wider range of low-mid range cards would have been useful. I think I'm
right in saying the AMD Radeon R9 M290X (about equivalent to a 1050?) in
my iMac would be pretty much equal to even the highest end card in all
but image resize.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old November 13th 18, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 05:34:50 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 13/11/2018 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1139/

"GPU acceleration has become fairly common in Adobe applications,
but only a few select tasks in Photoshop are able to take advantage
of the video card to improve performance. In fact, some features
(like 3D, Render Flame, and Oil Paint) require that you have a
compatible GPU while others (Image Size, Blur Gallery, Smart
Sharpen, etc.) are simply able to utilize a GPU to improve
performance.

Interesting, thanks.

A wider range of low-mid range cards would have been useful. I think I'm
right in saying the AMD Radeon R9 M290X (about equivalent to a 1050?) in
my iMac would be pretty much equal to even the highest end card in all
but image resize.

Well, they were testing Nvidia. You should also note that the
paragraph you snipped contains a link to their benchmark software
which, as they say, is "available for anyone who wants to see how
their existing PC or Mac stacks up against these GPUs". I have marked
the position of the link with * *. You should try it and report back.

Old November 14th 18, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 13/11/2018 08:58, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Yes, thanks, but I don't have Photoshop - mine was more a 'what if' sort
of musing . . .

--
Cheers, Rob