Lith film emulation

Old October 25th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

Default Lith film emulation

On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

... but lith film remains because it is used
in a number of alternative photographic processes
and for special effects such as masking.
Richard Knoppow Los Angeles, CA, USA

Check your local printing supply outlets or visit via the WWW
Valley Litho, a Mid West mail order supplier of a vast selection
of press room supplies including a large selection of lith - half
tone process films and developers.
Should add, also a somewhat unique assortment of film,
paper, and darkroom supplies. Dan

Well, after all these answers I want to try to use ID-13 and Kodak
D-85, for 2-3 mins with fils.
I have a matter with sodium bisulphite, ttah appears in D-85 formula.
I've not this substance available, can I replace it with somenthing
else? Is it really necessary?
Thanks, I'll let you know the results of my tests.
P.

Old October 25th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

On 25 Ott, 13:06, piterengel wrote:
On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

... but lith film remains because it is used
in a number of alternative photographic processes
and for special effects such as masking.
Richard Knoppow Los Angeles, CA, USA

Check your local printing supply outlets or visit via the WWW
Valley Litho, a Mid West mail order supplier of a vast selection
of press room supplies including a large selection of lith - half
tone process films and developers.
Should add, also a somewhat unique assortment of film,
paper, and darkroom supplies. Dan

Well, after all these answers I want to try to use ID-13 and Kodak
D-85, for 2-3 mins with fils.
I have a matter with sodium bisulphite, ttah appears in D-85 formula.
I've not this substance available, can I replace it with somenthing
else? Is it really necessary?
Thanks, I'll let you know the results of my tests.
P.

This is a self-answer! I've found that sodium sulphite can be used
instead of bisulphite. Considering the small amount in D-85 and making
the conversion using molecular weights I think to try this way.
Bye
P.

Old October 25th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer[_2_]

On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

I do not know how critical pH is in this solution, but if it matters,
sodium bisulphite is more acid than sodium sulphite.

^^-^^ 10:40:01 up 2 days, 2:58, 5 users, load average: 5.30, 5.32, 5.26
Old October 25th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:

"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

D-85 has boric acid in formula, maybe it is better to add a very small
amount of acetic acid to decrease pH, even if I'm not sure it is
really necessary. Anyway, I'll try ID-13 first, if I'm lucky this
works well.
Bye

Old October 25th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

... but lith film remains because it is used
in a number of alternative photographic processes
and for special effects such as masking.
Richard Knoppow Los Angeles, CA, USA

Check your local printing supply outlets or visit via the
WWW
Valley Litho, a Mid West mail order supplier of a vast
selection
of press room supplies including a large selection of
lith - half
tone process films and developers.
Should add, also a somewhat unique assortment of film,
paper, and darkroom supplies. Dan

A good tip, thanks.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 25th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"piterengel" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

Photographic sodium bisulfite is actually mostly sodium
metabisulfite and metabisulfite can be substituted.
Sodium sulfite is not the same as the bisulfite. Sulfite
is slightly alkaline, bisulfite is slightly acid. The two
make a buffer and are used together, for instance, in Kodak
fine grain developer D-25 and in Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent
to get a neutral pH. Kodak has two versions of D-85, a
single solution developer, D-85 and a two solution version
called D-85b. The two solution version has better keeping
properties. Both formulas specify potassium metabisulfite. I
think the sodium form will work as well. Use whatever you
can obtain most easily. Agfa/Ansco had similar formulas
which call for sodium bisulfite so evidently the cation does
not matter. The bisulfite of the Ansco formulas is, like
Kodak, actually metabisulfite.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 27th 07, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

These are my first two results. I've mounted on camera an EFKE 25
film, I've taken 8 pictures, cut this first part adn put into a tank.
Than I've taken again 8 pictures, the same of first time, cut film and
put un another tank. I've dobe this three times.
Than I've developed first part with ID-13 for 3 mins. Images are well
contrasted BUT NOT enough. I remember I'm trying to obtain LINE works.
With the second part I've used Kodak D-85 for 2.5 mins. SURPRISE!
Everything is disappeared!!! I've a totally empty film, without any
shadow or kind of figure! What's happen?
The third part is still into the tank waiting for tips.
Bye and thanks
P.

Old October 27th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

On Oct 27, 10:05 am, piterengel wrote:
On Oct 25, 6:36 pm, "Richard Knoppow" wrote:

"piterengel" wrote in message

roups.com...

On 25 Ott, 01:50, wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

A precisation on D-85. I've used acetone instead of paraformaldehyde,
as found elsewhere in internet.
P.

Old October 28th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart

"piterengel" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
These are my first two results. I've mounted on camera an EFKE 25
film, I've taken 8 pictures, cut this first part adn put into a tank.
Than I've taken again 8 pictures, the same of first time, cut film and
put un another tank. I've dobe this three times.
Than I've developed first part with ID-13 for 3 mins. Images are well
contrasted BUT NOT enough. I remember I'm trying to obtain LINE works.
With the second part I've used Kodak D-85 for 2.5 mins. SURPRISE!
Everything is disappeared!!! I've a totally empty film, without any
shadow or kind of figure! What's happen?

the D-85: Completely clear, including no edge printing? That's a
processing problem. Either the developer had no activity at all, or you
confused the developer and the fixer, and fixed the film first, completely
clearing it. (Everyone has to make that mistake at least once...I'm waiting
for it to happen to me!)

You might want to take a chunk of film and just put it in the developer to
see if it turns black, and how long it takes.

Old October 28th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
piterengel

On Oct 28, 3:48 am, "Ken Hart" wrote:
"piterengel" wrote in message

oups.com...
snip These are my first two results. I've mounted on camera an EFKE 25
[...]

Assuming that errors can occour, this is not the case. I've prepared
D-85 and immediately put into the tank, so I've developed film, not
fixed. The fact is that everything is disappeared form film, numbers
of pictures and trade mark too. Surely this is an extremely strong
developer, I'm thinking to try again it but diluited ten times.
Bye.
P.