cutting sheet lith film

Old July 19th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
sreenath

Default cutting sheet lith film

Hi All,

I would like some tips about cutting sheet lith films so that I can
roll it into 120 roll film, or load into pinhole/box
camera.

I get this film in 20"x24" size.

I once did it and found it very hard to cut the film- I used the
normal print paper trimmer. The film is too
thin and the blade simple moved over the film instead of cutting it.

One more problem was holding the film still. It tends to curl and wrap
around severely. The film itself is sold rolled
in a 2" dia plastic tube. Would it be possible to make a fixture for
this purpose?

I regularly use get normal 120 film, so this is just for fun. This
film has no grain whatsoever.

thanks for any tips,
Sreenath

Old July 19th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

"sreenath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I would like some tips about cutting sheet lith films so that I can
roll it into 120 roll film, or load into pinhole/box
camera.

I get this film in 20"x24" size.

I once did it and found it very hard to cut the film- I used the
normal print paper trimmer. The film is too
thin and the blade simple moved over the film instead of cutting it.

One more problem was holding the film still. It tends to curl and wrap
around severely. The film itself is sold rolled
in a 2" dia plastic tube. Would it be possible to make a fixture for
this purpose?

I regularly use get normal 120 film, so this is just for fun. This
film has no grain whatsoever.

thanks for any tips,
Sreenath

Sandwich the film between two sheets of cardboard. Then cut both cardboard
and film simultaneously.

Place a piece of duct tape running parallel to the cutting edge at a
suitable distance from that cutting edge. Butt the side of film/cardboard
sandwich against that tape to help hold everything steady as you cut.

Old July 19th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in
message
et...

"sreenath" wrote in message
[...]

I suggest gaffer tape rather than duct tape. The two are
often confused. Duct tape is meant for wrapping air
conditioning ducts and has a very persistent adhesive which
tends to migrate from the edge of the tape making a mess.
Gaffer tape has a different kind of adhesive which does not
migrate and is easily removed. I would also suggest taping a
strip of cardboard to use as a guide and using "kraft" paper
rather than cardboard to sandwich the film. It will still
hold the film in place but is easier to cut.
Unless the trimmer blades are very sharp they will
simply mash down some materials. There must also be enough
force between the blades. Most trimmers have an adjustable
coil spring at the blade hinge. If this is too loose the
trimmer will not cut cleanly.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 19th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart

"sreenath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I would like some tips about cutting sheet lith films so that I can
roll it into 120 roll film, or load into pinhole/box
camera.

I get this film in 20"x24" size.

I once did it and found it very hard to cut the film- I used the
normal print paper trimmer. The film is too
thin and the blade simple moved over the film instead of cutting it.

As you're pushing the blade down, also push it toward the body of the paper
cutter.

One more problem was holding the film still. It tends to curl and wrap
around severely. The film itself is sold rolled
in a 2" dia plastic tube. Would it be possible to make a fixture for
this purpose?

Reverse roll it for a day or two and put it back in the tube?

I regularly use get normal 120 film, so this is just for fun. This
film has no grain whatsoever.

Have you tried contact printing your regular negatives on the lith film?

Old July 20th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
sreenath

Thanks for the tips. I will try these. The blade is not all that
sharp, and even for cutting paper, sometimes I have to press the blade
towards the cutting frame.

Regarding contact printing regular negatives on lith film, I have done
this, and I should say that I got pretty good slides.
I developed under red safe light by inspection using very dilute
developer with bisulfite added. That gave normal contrast in the
slides.

Sreenath

On Jul 19, 8:04 pm, "Ken Hart" wrote:
"sreenath" wrote in message

ups.com... Hi All,

[...]

Arista Ortho Lith Film Problem Ron Gans In The Darkroom 24 January 3rd 07 12:25 AM
Cutting a Darkslide - Panoramics on Sheet Film Bandicoot Large Format Photography Equipment 6 October 26th 06 01:38 AM
sheet film russ In The Darkroom 1 June 8th 06 03:58 AM
solarizing lith film Luis Ortega Fine Art, Framing and Display 4 February 11th 06 09:07 PM
Cutting down film Stephan Goldstein Large Format Photography Equipment 5 January 27th 05 03:20 PM