Good freeware photo caption program for Windows PC

Old June 5th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos

Default Good freeware photo caption program for Windows PC

What is a good freeware program for captioning on the Windows PC?

It seems about weekly I email to my extended family resized, dated, &
individually captioned digital photographs of the grandchildren.

Today, I manually resize each photograph with the freeware Irfanview
(www.irfanview.com). Then I manually date and caption each photo with the
freeware WinXP Microsoft Paint (after translating to German using a free
translation website).

I'm looking for a more efficent freeware resize, date, & caption process.

Googling, I found & tested these three freeware resizers
a. Photo Resizer v1.60
http://www.sharewareriver.com/product.php?id=22446
b. A32 Resizer v1.1a
http://www.at32.com/doc/bjbrserv.htm
c. JPEG Resizer v2.1
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jresizer.html

And even a Windows Explorer shell extension which also does captions:
Photo Gadget Pro http://www.xemico.com/photogadget

But, I still need the freeware image captioning program.

Preferably, this freeware caption program would both caption and add EXIF
or COMMENT data the same as the caption.

Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?
Old June 5th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:49:15 GMT, Donna wrote:
Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

To clarify, I'm looking for a reasonably functional caption program (ie the
best we can find that is still freeware).

For example, both IrfanView and MS Paint can do captions, but both
Irfanview and Paint suffer from having to choose the size of the text box
before you even write your caption, forcing you to resize or change fonts
constantly to fit properly.

Lview Pro, on the other hand, does captioning almost perfectly in that it
will at least resize the text box as needed and, unlike Irfanview, you can
see what the caption will look like as you type - but Lview Pro is not
freeware.

Besides, Lview Pro doesn't add the caption to the EXIF or COMMENT data of
the JPEG digital photograph.

So, even after extensive googling, I would like to ask the experts.....
Do you know if a freeware caption program exists that
a. Display captions on the photograph as you type them
b. Resizes the caption box as needed
c. Adds the same caption information to the EXIF or COMMENT field
Old June 5th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Exifer is a full-featured EXIF editor, and will even create EXIF
areas in files that do not yet have them.

-michael

Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it is seriously underused."
Old June 5th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Donna wrote in news:1t40eubl9vrbg.15peb9fhbsci9$.dlg@
40tude.net:

I'm looking for a more efficent freeware resize, date, & caption process.

With MyAlbum you can resize pictures and put comments ad Exif data on them
in one go:

http://pmeindre.free.fr/MyAlbum.html

It's under the Tools convert & change size (exact wording may be
different, as I use a localized version)

--
Onno Voors
Old June 5th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Donna wrote:
Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

I don't know.

I think you just need to resize few photo. I recommended Adobe
Photoshop trial version:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp?ftpID=2730

--
http://www.deshot.com

Old June 5th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I think Xnview will suit your needs. Shift+T for the text box.
Hit the insert btton to access various IPTC and EXIF info to
insert. What's nice is that no selection on the original image
is required. You will have your text and be able to move it
anywhere you want on your photo.

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

Old June 5th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Irfanview will add the comments in the IPTC data with the plug-in from
the website.

Dave

--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the
Old June 6th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Richard wrote:
I am looking for just such an item that would plugin to Photoshop CS2.

I hate using their File Info.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Richard.

[...]

Irfanview can add the comments in the IPTC data with the plug-in from
the website

Dave

Old June 12th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Donna,

You should try PhotoMeister. It makes slide shows automatically and is
the perfect companion to a digital camera.

http://www.photomeister.com

George