Lens Cap Holder - Sima Cap Keeper

Old November 25th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Lens Cap Holder - Sima Cap Keeper

Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

Old November 25th 05, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Randy Given" wrote:
Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

I drill two small holes, one on either side of the center ridge,
in each lense cap. I then string a bit of black elastic cord
through the cap, and tie it off there, with the other end
circling the lense and being tied off there too. My lense
caps stay with the lense... dangling below it when not attached
to the lense itself.

This is not without certain problems. The lense cap of course
now has a pair of holes in it, and is not quite as dust tight as
it was before; but I don't see that as much of a problem, given
that I use a small drill which is very close to the same
diameter as the cord I use.

Another problem is the cord looped around the lense. With some
lenses that is just easy, but some lenses end up with the cord
wanting to interfere with focusing or maybe the zoom control.
If it binds the focus ring (I've got one where it can get
between the barrel of the lense and the lense hood that I use)
it can stop the Auto Focus motor from functioning.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old November 26th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:07:11 -0900, Floyd Davidson
wrote:

"Randy Given" wrote:
Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

I drill two small holes, one on either side of the center ridge,
in each lense cap. I then string a bit of black elastic cord
through the cap, and tie it off there, with the other end
circling the lense and being tied off there too. My lense
caps stay with the lense... dangling below it when not attached
to the lense itself.

I did something similar, only just used a blob of epoxy to
secure the elastic, the other end of the elastic I looped
through the camera strap holder on the camera.
It dangles well out of the way when the camera is in
the shooting mode.

Old November 26th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article 8zMhf.14203$Mi5.11015@dukeread07, Randy Given
wrote:

Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.
Old November 26th 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.

Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
lens. That's why I'm asking.

Old November 26th 05, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article VW2if.14272$Mi5.5785@dukeread07, Randy Given
wrote:

Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
lens. That's why I'm asking.

I've never had that problem. Clean pockets?
Old November 26th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:44:28 -0500, "Randy Given"
wrote:

Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

Foolish me...I've always just stuck 'em in my pocket.

Yeah, sure, if you want lint buildup in the cap and then sticking on the
lens. That's why I'm asking.

Don't you know about Life Savers?
They are made specificaly to collect that lint.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old November 27th 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Randy Given" wrote in message
Do the Sima Cap Keeper things work on Nikon lens caps like the 52mm DX
13-55? Are they a waste of money? Are there better alternatives?

Hi.

Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.

I hate to say this, but I will say it.

I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.

Roy G

Old November 27th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Tesco News
wrote:

Like R. Ainsworth, I always just take the cap off, sometimes it goes in a
pocket, sometimes just thrown in the bottom of the bag.

I hate to say this, but I will say it.

I have always thought that people with lens cap keepers, and lens caps
dangling from the camera look like Anoraks. Those in UK will know exactly
what I mean, but for those in the USA sustitute Dorks for Anoraks.

If I'm out in the field, I usually wear a Quest vest. The lens cap goes
into whatever pocket the lens came out of. But it's either that or my
pants pocket. I've never had a problem with lint or other cooties in
almost 40 years of photography.

And I have to agree with you about the cap dangling on some kind of
string - DORK ALERT!
Old November 27th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I agree. LOL. I'm sticking with in my pocket or bag. Still, thanks!

Nikon Lens rlking Digital SLR Cameras 4 November 3rd 05 09:51 AM
FS: Schneider Large-Format Lens TRADE!!! Bill Gillooly General Equipment For Sale 2 February 20th 05 06:43 AM
Nikon D70 + Auto Mode Anirudh Digital SLR Cameras 10 February 1st 05 07:32 PM
swing lens cameras and focussing distance RolandRB Medium Format Photography Equipment 30 June 21st 04 05:12 AM
FS: Sima 100mm F2 / F4 soft focus lens T-mount steve General Equipment For Sale 0 December 24th 03 01:51 AM