Any digital camera battery experts about?

Old November 26th 05, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Any digital camera battery experts about?

Been having a problem with just one NiMH AA battery. This one battery caused
a whole (4x) set of AA NiMHs, freshly charged with a smart conditioning
charger, to be rejected as if depleted by a Penax *istDL.

By a process of elimination I identified the rogue battery but using a
battery tester it showed normal.

By using the same battery in other cameras it seems to operate normally or
be rejected. Any explanations most welcome. There is a discussion thread on
DPNow on this subject:

http://dpnow.com/bb/cheaper-dslrs.pl?frames=n;read=73

Ian

Old November 26th 05, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Digital Photography Now" wrote in message
Been having a problem with just one NiMH AA battery. This one battery
caused a whole (4x) set of AA NiMHs, freshly charged with a smart
conditioning charger, to be rejected as if depleted by a Penax *istDL.

By a process of elimination I identified the rogue battery but using a
battery tester it showed normal.

By using the same battery in other cameras it seems to operate normally or
be rejected. Any explanations most welcome. There is a discussion thread
on DPNow on this subject:

Probably has high internal resistance. Depending on the current drain, the
voltage will sag more or less. Another factor is the voltage cut-off point
of different cameras.

Old November 26th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Digital Photography Now" wrote in message
Been having a problem with just one NiMH AA battery. This one battery
caused a whole (4x) set of AA NiMHs, freshly charged with a smart
conditioning charger, to be rejected as if depleted by a Penax *istDL.

By a process of elimination I identified the rogue battery but using a
battery tester it showed normal.

By using the same battery in other cameras it seems to operate normally or
be rejected. Any explanations most welcome. There is a discussion thread
on DPNow on this subject:

http://dpnow.com/bb/cheaper-dslrs.pl?frames=n;read=73

Ian

Why mess around with this dud? Buy a new set - they don't costs very much!

**SS**

Old November 27th 05, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I use many AA NiMH batteries. I have seen similar problems with some. NiMH
have a very "strange" charge/discharge curve and can "go out of tune" (if I
can say this) almost easily, especialy after a deep discharge. A battery
like this can not be charged by the majority of smart MiMH chargers, as the
charging circuit feels that the battery is faulty. But they are not faulty,
at least not completely faulty. I use a dummy fast NiCd charger for a few
minutes (only) to bring those batteries back to life. After this small
"forced charge", the normal NiMH "smart" charger can normaly charge the
battery.
--
Dimitris M

Old November 27th 05, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Interesting. In this case the rogue cell is charged normally and measured by
an Ansmann battery meter as being charged up normally. The only time a
problem is noticeable is when it is included in the set of batteries used by
certain cameras.

I will try your suggestion to revitalise this battery, simply out if
curiosity as I have hundreds of NiMHs - it's cont crtical that I be
successful, I simply wish to understand the problem.

Thanks,

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

Old November 27th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I may have missed some of this tread. How to you revitalize battery?

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:17:36 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Digital

Photography
Now" wrote:

Interesting. In this case the rogue cell is charged normally and measured

by
an Ansmann battery meter as being charged up normally. The only time a
problem is noticeable is when it is included in the set of batteries used

by
certain cameras.

I will try your suggestion to revitalise this battery, simply out if
curiosity as I have hundreds of NiMHs - it's cont crtical that I be
successful, I simply wish to understand the problem.

How does it's fully charged voltage compare to the others measured with a
voltmeter with and without a load resistor applied.? Does the Ansmann have
a reconditioning feature you might give a try?
--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at