difficulty drum scanning negatives

Old April 9th 04, 08:27 PM
Gordon Moat

Default difficulty drum scanning negatives

Jytzel wrote:

Thanks for all who responded. I got the scans from the office and they
look horrible. I donīt think itīs grain, ítīs noise, noise, noise!
Colors look posterised with no gradation observed. The histogram shows
no abnormalities however (?)

That comment makes me think you are viewing it on a monitor, and judging it as noise. A smooth
Histogram should indicate a smooth tonal transition. The reasoning behind drum scanning is to
eventually print the image. I think at this point, you should do a test print, proof print, or
match print, and then make a better judgement.

I don't believe the problem is the film,
it's the scan that it's bad. If anybody is interested I can send
portion of the image for viewing.

All monitors are such poor resolution in comparison to printing, especially commercial offset
printing. I have seen many image files that seemed noisy on a monitor, yet printed very
smoothly. You could easily be running into a limitation of viewing on a monitor.

If you can do a test print, then you would have a better item to judge scan quality. If it
still looks bad, then the original scan is at fault.

If you still find that after viewing printed results that things are not working, it is then
down to operator error, or a weird technical problem. I remember working on one workstation
that showed unusual results on most scans. What we finally traced that down to was an extra
monitor interfering with the SCSI cable of the scanner, and causing strange noise issues. The
reason that was so tough to track was that the monitor was a secondary monitor, and not always
used at that workstation. Routing the SCSI cable further from that monitor solved the unusual
noise problem. While I would be surprised if that is the problem you are having, if nothing
else is working, then investigate that direction. Best of luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old April 9th 04, 09:20 PM
Jytzel

"Neil Gould" wrote in message ink.net...
Recently, Jytzel posted:

Thanks for all who responded. I got the scans from the office and they
look horrible. I donīt think itīs grain, ítīs noise, noise, noise!
Colors look posterised with no gradation observed. The histogram shows
no abnormalities however (?) I don't believe the problem is the film,
it's the scan that it's bad. If anybody is interested I can send
portion of the image for viewing.

Out of curiosity... have you made an optical print of the film yet? And,
how are you observing the scans?

Regards,

Neil

No, not yet. Iīm observing the scan on the monitor! I donīt really
understand what you mean.

thanks,
Old April 10th 04, 01:15 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article et, Neil
Gould writes

However, for the purpose of establishing grain aliasing, one should only
have to examine the edge of a high-contrast portion of the image under
magnification and compare that to an equivalent zoom magnification of the
digital file (obviously not to the pixel level). If the on-screen profile
matches the optical profile... no aliasing... if they're overly blocky...
aliasing. Why would this method not yield a "valid comparison"?

Gaaaah!!! Not again! Go back to the start fo the thread and read all my
posts again!

Recorded image resolution is likely to be less than the granular
resolution, so no, you can't just examine a high contrast edge and looks
for jaggies - even if they aren't there, there could still be grain
aliasing. Furthermore, jaggies are not an indication of aliasing,
merely a consequence of a square pixel output filter representation!

You've heard it all before, had the details spelled out in single
syllables and complained that you undertand it all, yet you still cling
to this untruth - so what's the point?
--
Kennedy
Old April 10th 04, 01:17 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Jytzel
writes
Thanks for all who responded. I got the scans from the office and they
look horrible. I donīt think itīs grain, ítīs noise, noise, noise!
Colors look posterised with no gradation observed. The histogram shows
no abnormalities however (?) I don't believe the problem is the film,
it's the scan that it's bad. If anybody is interested I can send
portion of the image for viewing.

Yes, send me a section, but I am going off on business for a week, so
won't be able to comment on it till I get back.
--
Kennedy
Old April 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Gordon Moat
writes
Jytzel wrote:

Thanks for all who responded. I got the scans from the office and they
look horrible. I donīt think itīs grain, ítīs noise, noise, noise!
Colors look posterised with no gradation observed. The histogram shows
no abnormalities however (?)

That comment makes me think you are viewing it on a monitor, and
judging it as noise. A smooth
Histogram should indicate a smooth tonal transition.

....or a noisy one - as Jytzel has described. Noise will only show up on
a histogram as a distribution around what should be perfectly uniform
areas - but few real world images have such areas so noise, to all
intents and purposes, is not observable from histogram views.

However, I agree with your concern that this is simply a case of viewing
on a monitor. Essentially there are two extreme options:
* viewing at 1:1 on the monitor pixel scale, which will result in the
image appearing soft and grainy, just due to the magnification,
* viewing at actual print scale, in which case the image will look
grainy due to aliasing due to the simple downsampling algorithm for
display.

Jytzel, if you want to view the image effectively on the monitor for a
fairly valid comparison with an actual print then resample the image to
your monitor size, do not just zoom it. For example, a 35mm frame
scanned at 4000ppi is around 5500x3700pixels. My monitor display is
1600x1200pixels, so I would resize the image to 25% of the original, to
get 1375x925pixels.

If you implement the resize in Photoshop or PSP then some filtering is
implemented prior to the resize to reduce aliasing, however it can be
worth additional filtering before the resize to be sure that no aliasing
occurs. In Photoshop, the best way of achieving this is to use gaussian
blur with a radius no more than 2pixels for a resize to 25% - ie. half
the resize factor. After the resize, implement an unsharp mask at
around 150% with a radius of 0.7 pixels to recover the loss in sharpness
caused by downsampling without introducing aliasing. This will show you
roughly what the image will look like when actually printed without
exaggerating the granularity of the image.
--
Kennedy
Old April 10th 04, 01:19 PM
Neil Gould

Hi,

Recently, Jytzel posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Out of curiosity... have you made an optical print of the film yet?
And, how are you observing the scans?

No, not yet. Iīm observing the scan on the monitor! I donīt really
understand what you mean.

The best way to know the quality of your scan will be to get a
photographic print made. If artifacts exist, they'll show up in the print,
and you'll have a basis for correcting those problems.

Viewing a scan on a monitor is only useful if you have a good quality
monitor and video card capable of displaying tonal transitions well (I
won't say "accurately", because the color model for transmissive and
reflective viewing are different). These are not commonplace purchases,
and as you've reported visible "posterization" of transitions, I suspect
that this may be part of your problem.

Neil Gould
--------------------------------------
Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
Technical Graphics & Media

Old April 10th 04, 02:01 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Kennedy McEwen posted:

[...]

I was *not* referring to "jaggies", though that may not make a difference
to your campaign, Kennedy. In an attempt to avoid such
misinterpretation -- an effort that apparently failed on you -- I stated
"obviously not to the pixel level". A salient question might be, "Why look
for artifacts at the edges of high-contrast portions of an image?", as
grain aliasing can have representation in any part of the image. But,
rather than ask such questions, you only jump to conclusions and rant on.

You've heard it all before, had the details spelled out in single
syllables and complained that you undertand it all, yet you still
cling to this untruth - so what's the point?

I'm wondering the same thing... though it's becoming clearer why we're the
only two still hashing about with this.

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Old April 10th 04, 02:24 PM
Jytzel

Gordon Moat wrote in message ...
Jytzel wrote:

[...]

Thanks Godon,
But why donīt all photos show noise then? The ones scanned from
positives are perfect. If it was just a monitor limitation then it
would affect all scanned images, right?

Old April 10th 04, 02:29 PM
Jytzel

Kennedy McEwen wrote in message ...
In article , Gordon Moat
writes
Jytzel wrote:

[...]

thanks for the tip
Old April 10th 04, 02:31 PM
Jytzel

Kennedy McEwen wrote in message ...
In article , Jytzel
writes
Thanks for all who responded. I got the scans from the office and they
look horrible. I donīt think itīs grain, ítīs noise, noise, noise!
Colors look posterised with no gradation observed. The histogram shows
no abnormalities however (?) I don't believe the problem is the film,
it's the scan that it's bad. If anybody is interested I can send
portion of the image for viewing.

Yes, send me a section, but I am going off on business for a week, so
won't be able to comment on it till I get back.

thanks, send me your email address