Photoshop CC problem(s)

Old January 19th 21, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:46:18 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 03:12:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 16, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:21:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

But that is only part of the problem. Why does PS insist on starting
raw files in ACR, even when I have all the options switched off?

PS cannot open RAW files on its own. PS is assisted in that task by ACR, or ACR buried in LRc.

Why does it then run so slowly?

If you are somehow trying to force feed NEF files to PS without first having them digested by ACR or LR, PS will choke.

Why are the sliders not working?

I think you are experiencing pilot error.

Do you really imagine that after all these years I do not know how to
use the editing sliders in ACR?

What is the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR?

PS does not run ACR natively, LR is built with ACR as its native processing engine.

PS has been unusable since before Christmas.

I believe it is your PS that has been unusable for you. I sugest that you try to work your NEF files via round trip from LR to PS and back. Then tell us whether or not PS is still not working for you.

I don't know how to make this more clear but PS exhibits the same
problems irrespective of whether I try to load images from PS, open
with, drag and drop, and Process In from LR.

At the moment I am pondering the multitude of warnings to the effect
that "ESENT 642 - Video.UI (11500,D,2)
{2147430D-0838-490D-93CB-91829C2C9DEF}: The database format feature
version 9080 (0x2378) could not be used due to the current database
format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 0x410022D8 (8920 |
JET_efvAllowHigherPersistedFormat" and similar. I do know that my
problem is associated with a high error reporting load. Quite what, if
anything, this might have to do with Intel TBMT I do not know but the
two seemed to be tied together in some fashion.

Whatever the particular (peculiar) PS issue that you are experiencing is, it is unique to your setup, and usage. It seems that none of us here have the same problem, nor are any of us able to replicate your problem.
I beg to differ. Apart from the fact that neither of us yet know what
the problem actually is, in my searches of Google I have found many
people who over the years have had troubles with PS while LR runs
smoothly.

Well, OK then.

As for you ever being able to process/edit an NEF, or any other RAW file with PS without the intervention of ACR, that is not possible.

Of course not. I have never made that claim. Obviously there has to
be a raw convertor, but I have never seen the ACR image processing
sliders. Why that should be I do not know but I would rather you
didn't imply I've been somehow just not seeing them for all the years
I have been using Photoshop.

How I read your earlier description was that you somehow managed to open an NEF without initiating ACR. Now I understand that your dropping/opening an NEF with PS does initiate ACR(plugin) for demosaicing/processing prior to the file being opened in PS for further editing.

Well, obviously. Otherwise I would never have been able to process
them in Photoshop.

Directly opening a RAW file is beyond the capability of PS. ACR is needed. Drop a RAW file into PS and it will open ACR, a PS plugin, and depending on what options you used you can return to ACR from the filters menu to refine the process.
Irrespective of what you may believe, I have never previously dropped
into the ACR editing window when loading images in photoshop.

OK! I believe we might have been talking at cross purposes. There are of course three ways to use ACR. As a plugin for PS, as the processing engine of LR, via Adobe Bridge.

Your continuing refusal to believe me has not helped.

It wasn’t a matter of not believing you, I understood that you were experiencing a very real, and frustrating problem. For me it was a case of finding your problem difficult to fully comprehend as you detailed it. Especially since I could not find a logical reason for it in my macOS Adobe mind.

My Windows ignorance probably clouded my thinking on this.

At this point I can’t see what any of us could say, or do to explain, or fix your unique PS problem.

It would help if you were familiar with Windows.

I haven't used Windows since I retired 12 years ago, and my personal computing is Windows free. So from that position I can offer no advice on anything regarding Windows.

I have just read a suggestion that it may be my Acronis backup/etc
software which might be at the root of my problem. Lets see, but I
expect it to fight me.

And it was the Acronis, as I have now detailed elsewhere. And I have
also found the explanation for the ACR conundrum.

Well there always was an Adobe installation warning requiring AV and other third party system software to be turned off/disabled when installing PS. For macOS anyway.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 21, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 03:49:20 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 22:00:34 +0000, Melanie van Buren
wrote:

On 16/01/2021 21:31, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 16, 2021, Melanie van Buren wrote
(in article ):

This gearhead masturbation topic generated 66 replies. That's an order
of magnitude more than it would generate on a dedicated Adobe forum.
Meanwhile eff all response all week on topics on the actual subject of,
duh, photography.

This thread relates to Eric, a long time subscriber to this NG having a problem with Photoshop. If you hadn’t been paying attention you should be aware that Photoshop is an editing tool that most serious photographers, pro & amateur use as a fundamental part of their photography workflow.

As for photography, from time to time some of us actually post images, and sometimes we might get a comment or two.

*yawn* So what? I've said what I wanted to say and am sold on not
appeals to history and appeals to authority and general willy waving.
Any berk can obsess boys toys and there's eff all discussion about art
and photography which interests me more although, apparantly, none of
you lot. Maybe cuz you're **** at it.

Myself I can but don't use Photoshop. It's standard practice in my
industry not to alter photos apart from cropping.

This photograph has been cropped.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyn4s5sjkm...99-br.jpg?dl=0
Does it meet your standards?

That tree is not wearing black stockings and stilettos, so other than having been cropped it misses her minimum standard.

I think we covered most of the other issues to be found in that image when you first posted it years ago. ;-)

You seem at the moment to be trying to be particularly unhelpful.
That's not your usual style.

I didn’t want to revisit the comments I made when you first shared that particular image, because that is history. Personally I found the image problematic, mainly due to what seemed like over sharpening, and noise. If I remember correctly, also something to do with shadow recovery.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 21, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:30:15 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 13:31:11 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

What help? Nobody here actually wants to make the effort of discussing
art and photography or anything I'm interested in. Gearhead talk doesn't
rock my boat even if it is the lazy option.

This thread relates to Eric, a long time subscriber to this NG having a problem with Photoshop. If you hadn’t been paying attention you should be aware that Photoshop is an editing tool that most serious photographers, pro & amateur use as a fundamental part of their photography workflow.

As for photography, from time to time some of us actually post images, and sometimes we might get a comment or two.

Perhaps you should exercise your particular boredom over at alt.binaries.photos.original. The folks there might applaud your artistry.

Both of us have posted photographs to this group from time to time but
neither of us lately (I am not ignoring your drone videos but they are
a different class of object). But I must say you are in danger of
turning into a grumpy old man. :-)

I am trying my best to be a subtle grumpy old man.

That's a new version of subtle.

A much gentler, and palatable form of grumpy.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 21, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 18, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My Windows ignorance probably clouded my thinking on this.

Ignorance - of Windows - really *is* bliss.

Old January 19th 21, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

Indeed. But my point simply is that these Wintel machines I'm
using perform reasonably well (Eric was complaining about Wintel
PCs).

...and so he should. He has related multiple Wintel issues over the years.
;-)

Yeah, me too, but I do admit that there might be some blame pointing at me. I
spent another couple of hours today with MS support, and they will be calling
back tomorrow. This is on the PC that I had finally fixed once and for all.
Its at least 5 years now that Windows updates have occasionally wiped out
the boot process on this PC. This does help me understand the attraction of
the whole Apple system. No problems on my iPad or on the MacBook.
Coincidentally, I just use them, instead of constantly finding better
ways to do things, and to tweak them. Isnt that odd?

not to those who use them.

but if you do want to tweak them, there are plenty of ways to do it,
more, actually, than on windows.
Old January 19th 21, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 18, 2021, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On Jan 18, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jan 18, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in s.net):

In ,
says...

Do you mean PS opens your RAW files without issue once they have been
processed by ACR?

Correct.

That is normal function.

Indeed. But my point simply is that these Wintel machines I'm
using perform reasonably well (Eric was complaining about Wintel
PCs).

...and so he should. He has related multiple Wintel issues over the years. ;-)

Yeah, me too, but I do admit that there might be some blame pointing at me. I
spent another couple of hours today with MS support, and they will be calling
back tomorrow. This is on the PC that I had finally fixed once and for all.
It’s at least 5 years now that Windows updates have occasionally wiped out
the boot process on this PC. This does help me understand the attraction of
the whole Apple system. No problems on my iPad or on the MacBook.
Coincidentally, I just use them, instead of constantly finding “better”
ways to do things, and to tweak them. Isn’t that odd?

Not odd at all. I like the idea of having a computer system that just works without the need for geekish tinkering.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 21, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

On 18/01/2021 14:52, -hh wrote:

Perhaps I'm a bit biased, coming from an 'Art Education' heritage, but what
'Melanie' shared just isn't art. Its not even a decent tribute copy.

Well, duh. I never trained as an artist and very clearly stated in my
first thread that I'm learning from the starting point of where I am at.
Critique and pruduction is very different as you *should* know.

I'm also juggling a lot of other factors I'm not discussing with you or
you re not taking into account so basically you can go stick your
attitude. From my point of view you haven't said anything interesting or
valuable just sat there being silent or as now sniping from the
sidelines. I'm not unfamiliar with art and fairly happy with my
critiquing skills based on past experience offline so again you can
stick the attitude. Put it this way - I don't see you producing anything
other than book smart wanky attitude.

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 19th 21, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , gray_wolf
wrote:

I used ACR to open my raw and export it as a 48 tiff for PS.

no nee to use tiff. in fact, that's a very bad idea.