Photoshop CC problem(s)

Old January 18th 21, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I note that I have set a new record in that with TBMT disabled I had 8
instances of Photoshop open.

you are clearly doing something very, very, very wrong.
Old January 18th 21, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

I note that I have set a new record in that with TBMT disabled I had 8
instances of Photoshop open.

Are you saying that ACR is the only app you have a problem with? No problems
with PS itself? If so, have you reinstalled ACR? Or have you are least
checked all settings related to ACR?

he claimed he reinstalled adobe, further adding that it was difficult
to fully uninstall it (not true, it's actually quite simple).

he's spinning his wheels, getting deeper into the mud with every move.
Old January 18th 21, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 16:12:42 -0600, gray_wolf
wrote:

Did the OP say what CPU and how much RAM he had? A year ago I replaced
my 15 year old AMD and Intel boxes with an AMD Ryzen 6 core CPU and
16 GB RAM motherboard. Things became much better. They became a lot
better, in general, when my bro upgraded my old GPU to later model. BTW,
I'm not a gamer. I only spent $500 including new power supply and a new
SATA drive. Boot time could be better but I have two SSD slots available.
My Dell laptop with SSD will boot in 10 seconds

I have an Asus X99-AII motherboard with an i&-6800 processor. I can't
remember the chipset I used but it was just new at the time. 32 GB of
RAM. NVidia GeForce GTX 1070. 476 GB SSD plus 1.79TB spinner. It
generally works like a charm.

Some years ago my old boxes worked very well for photo editing. Even large
files. Over the past few years things became slower and slower.
I upgraded(?) Win 7 x64 to Win 10. Didn't help at all. My old Intel had 4 GB
RAM and my old AMD had 6 GB and could tell little difference in the good
old days.

Later on 4GB was unbearable and 6GB was somewhat usable.
I would have to wait a very long time to view the 'properties' of a jpg.
I've wondered if having 5TB of harddrives online would slow things down
but never got around to checking it.

I have no idea what the problem was and don't really care anymore.
Nothing beats have a new car in the driveway. g

Eric Stevens
Old January 18th 21, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 19:47:41 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article
s.com,
says...
18.62 GB is what I have allocated to PS, roughly 70% of 26.09GB available RAM from my 32GB of installed RAM.

Perhaps we have been talking past each other. At the moment I
allow PS to use up to 60% of available RAM, but at any given
time PS is only using what it needs (for instance that 1.4GB of
RAM when I open the 20MP RAW file).

Eric Stevens
Old January 18th 21, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 17, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

I note that I have set a new record in that with TBMT disabled I had 8
instances of Photoshop open.

Are you saying that ACR is the only app you have a problem with? No problems
with PS itself? If so, have you reinstalled ACR? Or have you are least
checked all settings related to ACR?

he claimed he reinstalled adobe, further adding that it was difficult
to fully uninstall it (not true, it's actually quite simple).

I don’t even know what reinstalling Adobe means. If he just reinstalled the
desktop app, that would have done nothing at all, right?

Old January 18th 21, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

I note that I have set a new record in that with TBMT disabled I had 8
instances of Photoshop open.

Are you saying that ACR is the only app you have a problem with? No
problems
with PS itself? If so, have you reinstalled ACR? Or have you are least
checked all settings related to ACR?

he claimed he reinstalled adobe, further adding that it was difficult
to fully uninstall it (not true, it's actually quite simple).

I donąt even know what reinstalling Adobe means. If he just reinstalled the
desktop app, that would have done nothing at all, right?

i haven't tried it, but it would likely overwrite the app and support
files. it might also detect that the existing version is the same and
there's no point in continuing.

not that it matters, since it's not an adobe issue.
Old January 18th 21, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 17, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

How much free space is left on the SSD? And did you manually change the page
file size in Windows settings? Also, are you sometimes using Bridge, and
other times using PS to open raw files? That might explains some of the
strange things you’ve said. And we do have very similar specs on our
PC’s.

Old January 18th 21, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 03:12:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 16, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:21:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

But that is only part of the problem. Why does PS insist on starting
raw files in ACR, even when I have all the options switched off?

PS cannot open RAW files on its own. PS is assisted in that task by ACR, or ACR buried in LRc.

Why does it then run so slowly?

If you are somehow trying to force feed NEF files to PS without first having them digested by ACR or LR, PS will choke.

Why are the sliders not working?

I think you are experiencing pilot error.

Do you really imagine that after all these years I do not know how to
use the editing sliders in ACR?

What is the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR?

PS does not run ACR natively, LR is built with ACR as its native processing engine.

PS has been unusable since before Christmas.

I believe it is your PS that has been unusable for you. I sugest that you try to work your NEF files via round trip from LR to PS and back. Then tell us whether or not PS is still not working for you.

I don't know how to make this more clear but PS exhibits the same
problems irrespective of whether I try to load images from PS, open
with, drag and drop, and Process In from LR.

At the moment I am pondering the multitude of warnings to the effect
that "ESENT 642 - Video.UI (11500,D,2)
{2147430D-0838-490D-93CB-91829C2C9DEF}: The database format feature
version 9080 (0x2378) could not be used due to the current database
format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 0x410022D8 (8920 |
JET_efvAllowHigherPersistedFormat" and similar. I do know that my
problem is associated with a high error reporting load. Quite what, if
anything, this might have to do with Intel TBMT I do not know but the
two seemed to be tied together in some fashion.

Whatever the particular (peculiar) PS issue that you are experiencing is, it is unique to your setup, and usage. It seems that none of us here have the same problem, nor are any of us able to replicate your problem.

I beg to differ. Apart from the fact that neither of us yet know what
the problem actually is, in my searches of Google I have found many
people who over the years have had troubles with PS while LR runs
smoothly.

As for you ever being able to process/edit an NEF, or any other RAW file with PS without the intervention of ACR, that is not possible.

Of course not. I have never made that claim. Obviously there has to
be a raw convertor, but I have never seen the ACR image processing
sliders. Why that should be I do not know but I would rather you
didn't imply I've been somehow just not seeing them for all the years
I have been using Photoshop.

Directly opening a RAW file is beyond the capability of PS. ACR is needed. Drop a RAW file into PS and it will open ACR, a PS plugin, and depending on what options you used you can return to ACR from the filters menu to refine the process.

Irrespective of what you may believe, I have never previously dropped
into the ACR editing window when loading images in photoshop.

At this point I can’t see what any of us could say, or do to explain, or fix your unique PS problem.

It would help if you were familiar with Windows.

I have just read a suggestion that it may be my Acronis backup/etc
software which might be at the root of my problem. Lets see, but I
expect it to fight me.

Eric Stevens
Old January 18th 21, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:18:58 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article
s.com,
says...
What is the difference between loading an image in PS and ditto in LR?

PS does not run ACR natively, LR is built with ACR as its native processing engine.

Not sure what you mean here. When I double-click on a RAW file,
it opens with ACR in PS. I never use LR.

I don't know why but although it opens raw files it has never opened
them in the ACR window. I'm sure there is an explanation but I don't
know what it is.

Eric Stevens
Old January 18th 21, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:48:34 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

I have tried contacting Adobe Tech Support but an afternoon of being
passed from person to person in the hope that the next person would
know about the problem, and after waiting for an hour for what might
have been the last person I gave up.

I then tried the adobe community and quickly received the suggestion
that I should turn off GPU support. GPU setting was previously on Auto
and is now Off. [GPU = GeForce GTX 1070]. That possibly made a
difference, but only minimal. The image still opened in ACR but maybe
more quickly. Fully functioning editing sliders were still not
available even after about ten minutes. One CPU core only, continued
to be fully at work. Some of the graphics memory was in use and there
were occasional barely visible twitches of activity in various parts
of the GPU.

As far as I can tell I have the same problem irrespective of whether I
am using PS 2020 or 2021.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar problem and if so what
was the cause/cure?

Aftere much chasing in circles I eventually saw a hint which led me to
discover that the culprit was the anti-ransomware protection of my
Acronis backup software that was causing the problem. Setting that to
'OFF' has solved the problem.

This ios only new behaviour and I am not aware of an Acronis update
which could have caused the problem. Presumably then it something that
Microsoft or Adobe have changed.

Eric Stevens