Mounting lenses upside down

Old January 5th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Mounting lenses upside down

So, strange subject line aside - I'm looking for a way to store my lenses, and
I've been thinking about wall-mounting them. I think it actually might look
quite cool.

So, imagine a wooden board on the wall, with shelves, but instead of the lenses
standing on the shelves, what if rear lens caps was mounted on the underside of
the shelf, and all lenses "hung" from the underside. When you want to use a
lens, just unscrew it and attach it to the camera. If you want to bring a
couple of lenses with you in the camera bag, unscrew them from the shelf and
add a lens cap that sits in a box to it.

Anyone see any downsides to this? All my lenses are stored standing up (front
down) in a drawer right now, so the position wouldn't be any different.

My first idea was that they would stand on the shelf as they do in the drawer,
and I would have some form of "rings" at different heights over the shelfs that
held them in place, but I think the "hanging from the underside" would actually
look a lot better and cleaner.

--
Sandman
Old January 5th 16, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

So, strange subject line aside - I'm looking for a way to store my lenses,
and
I've been thinking about wall-mounting them. I think it actually might look
quite cool.

So, imagine a wooden board on the wall, with shelves, but instead of the
lenses
standing on the shelves, what if rear lens caps was mounted on the underside
of
the shelf, and all lenses "hung" from the underside. When you want to use a
lens, just unscrew it and attach it to the camera. If you want to bring a
couple of lenses with you in the camera bag, unscrew them from the shelf and
add a lens cap that sits in a box to it.

Anyone see any downsides to this? All my lenses are stored standing up (front
down) in a drawer right now, so the position wouldn't be any different.

Don't be a cheapoo... Get the good glue! (Don't inhale like you did as a
kid!!!)

My first idea was that they would stand on the shelf as they do in the
drawer,
and I would have some form of "rings" at different heights over the shelfs
that
held them in place, but I think the "hanging from the underside" would
actually
look a lot better and cleaner.

--
teleportation kills
Old January 5th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 5 Jan 2016 16:33:59 GMT, Sandman wrote:

[...]

What would hold the caps to the shelves? I think that no matter how
you do it, there is a risk of the cap coming loose from the shelf, or
of someone walking by, and accidentally bumping a lens. Either way, it
goes crashing to the ground. And why let them collect dust?
Old January 5th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Bill W wrote:

[...]

Well, I wouldn't expect them Californians in the group to embrace this...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 5th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/5/2016 12:24 PM, Bill W wrote:
[...]

I solved that problem long ago. I have lenses that I rarely, if ever
use. I have a concern that they will stiffen from accumulation of the
lubricant if a lens sits for too long. I bought a robot juggler. I leave
all my lenses on their side. Every two weeks, the robot juggler takes
out three different lenses and juggles them for a few hours. This causes
the lubricant to move about within the lens and prevents stiffening. My
robot juggler serves another purpose. When I an not certain which lens
to take, I let the robot decide. He has a program while juggling, he
takes a random lens and tosses it to me. I catch it, and that is the one
I will use that day.

--
PeterN
Old January 5th 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I solved that problem long ago. I have lenses that I rarely, if ever
use. I have a concern that they will stiffen from accumulation of the
lubricant if a lens sits for too long. I bought a robot juggler. I leave
all my lenses on their side. Every two weeks, the robot juggler takes
out three different lenses and juggles them for a few hours. This causes
the lubricant to move about within the lens and prevents stiffening. My
robot juggler serves another purpose. When I an not certain which lens
to take, I let the robot decide. He has a program while juggling, he
takes a random lens and tosses it to me. I catch it, and that is the one
I will use that day.

that explains a lot.
Old January 5th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

[...]

Oki...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 5th 16, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

The idea is to drill a round hold for the cap to be sunk into, and then fixed
with both glue and a screw, or several screws. I would certainly make sure that
the cap wouldn't come loose so easily.

And as for dust, most of the lenses get regular use so it wouldn't be a problem
really.

--
Sandman
Old January 5th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Sandman" wrote in message
In article , Bill W wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

Drill a hole through the cap and wood where you want to mount it. Use a
pan-head machine screw and washer and put it through the cap and wood
and then fasten it on the other end with a washer and nut. Use more
than one for heavier lenses. I doubt you'd need to use any glue doing
it this way. I keep my cameras and lenses on shelves in a closet using
dividers like this that I bought from Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60300029/

Old January 5th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-05 16:33:59 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

Well...
http://lensflipper.com

Savageduck