...The old Albion

Old November 30th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default ...The old Albion

"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" wrote in message
As some people may know, I'm greek. I tried to make ends meet here,
but I barely managed to put food on the table. So I'm moving to the
UK, to Scotland, Coatbridge, just 20 train minutes from Glasgow.I'm
taking my camera with me, goes without saying, so I'll post photos
from good old Albion.

With a name like that, I thought you were Irish

My cousin and her family live in Athens, they are from Mytilini and
still have their house there but that city has become a mess due to the
Syrian refugees that have flooded in. She and her husband have two
sons, ages 19 and 14. They are extremely worried about the future of
their sons. Their sons will most likely leave Greece at some point as
they get older to seek a better opportunity.

My best to you for a bright future.

Old December 1st 15, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dimitris tzortzakakis

"PAS" Wrote in message:
"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" wrote in message
As some people may know, I'm greek. I tried to make ends meet here,
but I barely managed to put food on the table. So I'm moving to the
UK, to Scotland, Coatbridge, just 20 train minutes from Glasgow.I'm
taking my camera with me, goes without saying, so I'll post photos
from good old Albion.

With a name like that, I thought you were Irish

My cousin and her family live in Athens, they are from Mytilini and
still have their house there but that city has become a mess due to the
Syrian refugees that have flooded in. She and her husband have two
sons, ages 19 and 14. They are extremely worried about the future of
their sons. Their sons will most likely leave Greece at some point as
they get older to seek a better opportunity.

My best to you for a bright future.

Thanks a lot the next photo of myself will be with the bagpipes
and the kilt waving the flag of scotland btw today i had haggis
in the pub with guiness!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old December 1st 15, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/1/2015 2:11 PM, dimitris tzortzakakis wrote:

snip

Thanks a lot the next photo of myself will be with the bagpipes
and the kilt waving the flag of scotland btw today i had haggis
in the pub with guiness!

I am convinced that the Scots invented haggis for immigration control
purposes. I have no problems eating poutine, sea urchin, chocolate
covered grasshoppers etc. But draw a firm line at haggis.

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"dimitris tzortzakakis" wrote in message
"PAS" Wrote in message:
[...]

You couldn't pay me to either eat haggis or drink a room-temperature
beer or ale.

Old December 1st 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

"PAS" Wrote in message:
[...]

I would have thought that the appropriate beverage with haggis would be
a single malt Scotch whisky, not Guiness which is to the best of my
knowledge an Irish brew.

I understand the traditional serving is to have the scotch served
liberally until one didn't care that there was a haggis in the same
room as you. Eating it at this point would depend on how hungry, drunk,
or how fond of oatmeal contaminated offal you might be.

Savageduck

Old December 2nd 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PAS" Wrote in message:
[...]

I've not had haggis but nothing wrong with room-temperature, not sure
about beer depends on what yuo call beer, lager on the other hand is
so crap it has to be served cold so you can't taste it, although I do
like some lagers they have to be cold good tasting ale doesnt taste
right when cold.

I think it's similar with wine but I don't drink good wine, too
expensive,
now where's my bottle of thunderbird ;-)

I'm not a drinker but enjoy a good beer now-and-then. I do not drink
any liquor for a couple of reasons, one of them being that I don't like
the taste of those I've tried when I was younger. I never had any taste
for wine of any kind, I absolutely hate wine. I've got peculiar tastes,
obviously.

I tried some of the beers when I was in the UK but didn't like them at
all - I simply do not like room temperature beer. While I was there,
I'd drink Stella - nice and cold.

Old December 3rd 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2015-12-01 21:05:24 +0000, "PAS" said:

You couldn't pay me to either eat haggis or drink a room-temperature
beer or ale.

If it's Bitters or Pale Ale, all right. If it's Budwieser swill, no way.

I would have thought that the appropriate beverage with haggis would be
a single malt Scotch whisky, not Guiness which is to the best of my
knowledge an Irish brew.

Besides, Guinness is a meal in and of itself.

I understand the traditional serving is to have the scotch served
liberally until one didn't care that there was a haggis in the same room
as you. Eating it at this point would depend on how hungry, drunk, or
how fond of oatmeal contaminated offal you might be.

Quite right! But would it not be offal-contaminated oatmeal?

I'll be in Edinburgh in a few weeks, but will be avoiding both Haggis
and beer.

Old December 3rd 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-12-03 11:36:39 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Wednesday, 2 December 2015 16:59:03 UTC, PAS wrote:

I'm not a drinker but enjoy a good beer now-and-then.

I guess its how you define good and beer.
I prefer a nice ale. :-)

I am not a regular beer drinker, but when I am tempted by a beer I
favor the Belgian Abby ales, particularly St Bernardus Abt 12.
https://thealerunner.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/abt12.jpg
http://belgium.beertourism.com/belgian-beers/st-bernardus-abt-12

Otherwise, I am an infrequent decent/good/fair wine drinker.

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 15, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PAS" Wrote in message:
[...]

I used to be able to drink cans of cola, I can;t now unless I dilute it
with whisky.

LOL. Coke was my real vice and all that sugar over the years didn't do
me any good. It's still my drink of choice over anything else but I
cannot have it any longer. I do drink Coke Zero as it's the only diet
soda that I like.

I never had any taste
for wine of any kind, I absolutely hate wine.

There's quite a varaition between red and white then plenty of
differncies between them. I used to prefer red wine but haven;t found
one I actual like in the last 10 years, I think it's down to price.

I've got peculiar tastes, obviously.

Tastes change a little with time and so do the products over the years.

True. But my "picky" eating and drinking habits have made me to not go
outside of the box I've made for myself. I don't experiment. My eating
habots are pretty much the same as they were when I was young.

I tried some of the beers when I was in the UK but didn't like them
at
all - I simply do not like room temperature beer. While I was there,
I'd drink Stella - nice and cold.

In the UK that's know as wife beater beer. Anyway stella isn;t a beer
it's a lager. I used to drink stella in the 90s, but then it 'turned
syrupy' and I just can;t drink it now. If I'm going to drink lager

it's staropramen or san miguel, while there are a few others I can
drink if the pub doesn't have my preferencies I have no trouble
spending a couple of hours in a pub and not drinking anything.

Maybe this is a case of semantics. Stella is a pilsner beer, which is a
pale lager. It's a beer that is a type of lager, I guess. I prefer the
pale beers, not the darker ones. On Long Island, in addition to some of
the excellent wineries (so I'm told, since I cannot stand the taste of
wine), there are a lot of new micro breweries. There are also a few
small distilleries.

Old December 4th 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 03 Dec 2015 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

I am not a regular beer drinker, but when I am tempted by a beer I
favor the Belgian Abby ales, particularly St Bernardus Abt 12.

When you come back East, you'll have to go to Ommegang:

http://www.ommegang.com/

They specialize in Belgian style ales. My kids took me there for
Father's Day a couple of years back.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/