What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

Old October 30th 12, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Danny D.[_2_]

Default What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).

The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
(I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
Maps with a single button click).

Googling, I find these two command-line programs:
1. exiv2 - Image metadata manipulation tool
2. exiftool - Read and write meta information in files

And, I find these web-based GUIs:
1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi)
2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...on/exif-viewer

Testing the command-line tools, I found:
$ exiv2 photo.jpg (did not report any GPS information)
$ exiftool photo.jpg (did report GPS position information)

Testing the web-based GUIs, I found both did as desired:
1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (did show the location on a map)
2. Firefox addon Exif-Viewer (did show the location on a map)

So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
the location it was snapped?

Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Old October 30th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Mayayana

| The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
| (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
| Maps with a single button click).

This isn't exactly what you're asking, but IrfanView
works fine under WINE, if you care to install that.

Old October 30th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Mike Easter

Danny D. wrote:

Irfanview

Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?

A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can
use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows
Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version
of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder
to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional
Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q57

--
Mike Easter
Old October 30th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
nospam

In article , Danny D.
wrote:

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
else pales in comparison.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
Old October 30th 12, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:38:57 AM UTC, Danny D. wrote:
[...]

DigiKam.
Does pretty much everything and comes in a massive size.
Shows photo location on Google maps and it has a plugin to edit EXIF data (Metadata).
Only bad point is missing layers.

DanP
Old October 31st 12, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Zak Hipp

On 30/10/2012 16:53, nospam wrote:
In article , Danny D.
wrote:

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
else pales in comparison.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Looks like a thread terminator to me. I'll see if I can get along with it.

Thank you.

Zak Hipp

Old October 31st 12, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Sandman

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Danny D.
wrote:

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
else pales in comparison.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

+1

No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 31st 12, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Floyd L. Davidson

Sandman wrote:
In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Danny D.
wrote:

What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
else pales in comparison.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

+1

No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

Neither you nore nospam seems to have read what the OP asked though.

Exiftool is wonderful program, but no it does not accomplish what the
OP needs. What the OP asked for was a program that,

"both views the digital photograph and has a button to bring up
Google maps to identify the location it was snapped?"

Exiftool does neither.

Secondarily the OP asked,

"Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure
text?"

Obviously Exiftool does not qualify there either.

It helps to actually read and try to understand what the request is,
rather than jumping to conclusions at the end of the first sentence.
Old October 31st 12, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

he's a linux user. he won't notice.
Old October 31st 12, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Neither you nore nospam seems to have read what the OP asked though.

from the very first line:
In article , Danny D.
wrote:
What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

exiftool definitely does that.