Canon M3

Old January 3rd 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

Default Canon M3

My primary camera is a Canon 5D3. I decided recently that I wanted a
smaller camera for short trips, carrying around casually. I finally
decided on a Canon M3. I looked around in here for some discussion
about it, but don't see anything. So far, I don't have any dedicated
M lenses. I do have an EF adapter, and have been using my Canon F.14
50 mm EF, and a Rokinon 8mm wide angle. The wide angle is fun. Size
wise, it reminds me of my old Pentax Auto 110, 110-film SLR. Couple
of things I notice though, is that if you have big hands, this thing
is almost too small. Very easy to hit controls when you are just
trying to hold it. The other thing that I've found bothers me is the
electronic view finder. I hate holding a camera at arm's length to
look at the display. So I bought the electronic view finder. If this
is any indication of EVFs, I'm happy to stick with an SLR for serious
phnotography. I can't make out if it's in sharp focus or not. Anybody
else notice these things?

Once things are in focus, I've got no problem with the pictures it
produces.
Old January 3rd 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now as
good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical
viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with a
DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press
or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

nonsense.
Old January 4th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now as
good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical
viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with a
DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press
or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

nonsense.

For MF I will take my Fujifilm EVF with either electronic split image or
peak focus and MF assist over the PIA MF provided via OVF with any of my
Nikon DSLR's every time.

Savageduck
Old January 4th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Savageduck
wrote:

Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now
as
good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical
viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with
DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press
or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

nonsense.

For MF I will take my Fujifilm EVF with either electronic split image or
peak focus and MF assist over the PIA MF provided via OVF with any of my
Nikon DSLR's every time.

i'll take a real optical viewfinder any day of the week, particularly
when the camera's multipoint autofocus blows away anything found on an
evf camera.
Old January 4th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now
as
good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical
viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with
DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press
or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

nonsense.

For MF I will take my Fujifilm EVF with either electronic split image or
peak focus and MF assist over the PIA MF provided via OVF with any of my
Nikon DSLR's every time.

i'll take a real optical viewfinder any day of the week, particularly
when the camera's multipoint autofocus blows away anything found on an
evf camera.

There are times when one chooses to use MF rather than multipoint AF. There
is a time and place for various AF options with AF-S or AF-C, and AF-C
tracking options. When it comes to manual focus the current generation of
EVF with MF assist "blows away" any OVF manual focus provided current DSLR
offerings.

You ought to try it sometime, but I am sure that you are going to tell me
that you have, and multipoint AF is so much better and "nobody uses manual
focus anyway."

Savageduck
Old January 4th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/3/2017 8:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

And any examples to the contrary of what he says, will be edge cases.

--
PeterN
Old January 4th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 16:54:16 -0500, rwalker wrote:
: My primary camera is a Canon 5D3. I decided recently that I wanted a
: smaller camera for short trips, carrying around casually. I finally
: decided on a Canon M3. I looked around in here for some discussion
: about it, but don't see anything.

I wish you'd mentioned it. I'd have told you to look on the Canon forum
(http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera/ct-p/camera). There's a really
competent M3 owner there who could have advised you.

This newsgroup is great for general camera discussion and lore. For
model-specific info about Canon equipment, the Canon forum is better.

On that forum, if you do go looking, I'm known as "RobertTheFat".

Bob
Old January 4th 17, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 19:27:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 5:29:17 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 16:54:20 UTC-5, rwalker wrote:
[...]

Poor choice with so many other more competent small cameras on the market. Canon and Nikon are also-rans when it comes to anything compact except the Canon G series which have always been at the top of the compact fixed-lens pile.
Plus, any discussion on the quality of EVF's is water under the bridge now as good ones (Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji) have long since passed optical viewfinders in-terms of flexibility. You simply cannot focus as well with a DSLR as you can an EVF that can magnify images 3-10x with a button press or even just a touch of focus ring on a lens.

Hi,

I am very happy with my Canon G7X II in terms of image quality and flexibility. It is not quite a jacket pocket camera, but does readily fit into a coat pocket. Its"lens speed" at the tele end is great for indoor scenes where one cannot get close enough indoors, e.g. at religious functions. (I formerly used Nikon and Canon SLRs in my younger years.)
Mort Linder

Thanks for a nice, infromational, and polite answer. Civil
conversation is pretty much a lost art.
Old January 4th 17, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:49:43 -0500, rwalker
wrote:

[...]

Actually, the more I play with the M3, the more I like it.
Old January 4th 17, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

And any examples to the contrary of what he says, will be edge cases.

for you, i'd say nut case.