DPreview: Pro photogs should use Canon or Nikon for weddings!

Old January 1st 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default DPreview: Pro photogs should use Canon or Nikon for weddings!

On 12/31/2016 4:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip?

Any wedding planer selecting a photographer based on the size of his/her
equipment, is like the bride making her selection of groom based on similar
criteria, which makes a strange sort of sense I guess.

A bunch of sales is based upon perception. I would think that if a
photog shows up with an iPhone, I doubt if he can get the same minimum
fee as the photog who shows up with a mess of equipment, and two assistants.

--
PeterN
Old January 1st 17, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 01/01/2017 09:18, Robert Coe wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 05:30:00 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:
: newshound wrote:
: On 12/30/2016 2:01 AM, Noons wrote:
: On 30/12/2016 7:39 @wiz, RichA wrote:
: A spelling error and using the same word twice in one sentence. Nice
: writing for a national magazine.
:
: They should say either Cannon [sic] or Nikon, which are the most
: readily available professional cameras available, says Tiffani.
: However, there are professional and amateur cameras in both brands.
: A professional camera should be a full format camera. This will
: ensure that you can print large-scale prints easily."
:
: https://www.dpreview.com/news/933547...-nikon-cameras
:
:
:
:
: Yeah, saw that too.
: What a sad joke that mag is...
:
: On-line magazines don't really need any editorial control. In the good
: old days of hot metal everything got read by several other people. Even
: with photo-litho there were more hands involved than now.
:
: I find *some* of the stuff in dpreview quite good.
:
:
: I believe the editorial failure here is with the "Brides Magazine" rather
: than DPreview. They are the publication which has a problem differentiating
: between a cannon and a Canon. Their wedding photography recommendations are
: mired in arrogant ignorance.

Any "wedding photographer" who needs advice from a bride's magazine is in a
heap of trouble before he ever sets foot in the church.

But DPReview seemed to think that a typo made by the magazine in an
article never intended to be offering advice to wedding photographers
was a conspiracy.

Old January 1st 17, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:
: newshound wrote:
: On 12/30/2016 2:01 AM, Noons wrote:
: On 30/12/2016 7:39 @wiz, RichA wrote:
: A spelling error and using the same word twice in one sentence. Nice
: writing for a national magazine.
:
: They should say either Cannon [sic] or Nikon, which are the most
: readily available professional cameras available, says Tiffani.
: However, there are professional and amateur cameras in both brands.
: A professional camera should be a full format camera. This will
: ensure that you can print large-scale prints easily."
:
: https://www.dpreview.com/news/933547...-suggests-prof
: essional-photographers-use-cannon-or-nikon-cameras
:
:
:
:
: Yeah, saw that too.
: What a sad joke that mag is...
:
[...]

The quote seem to be a suggestion for step one on how to weed out
wannabe pros when looking to hire an event photog. True pros usually use
FF Canon or occasionally Nikon...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 1st 17, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

The magazine article was never intended for photographers of even moderate
ability let alone pro wedding photographers. I believe DPreview was just
pointing out the ignorant inanity that particular article.

Savageduck
Old January 1st 17, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

android wrote:

wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 12/30/2016 2:01 AM, Noons wrote:
On 30/12/2016 7:39 @wiz, RichA wrote:
A spelling error and using the same word twice in one sentence. Nice
writing for a national magazine.

łThey should say either Cannon [sic] or Nikon, which are the most
readily available professional cameras available,˛ says Tiffani.
łHowever, there are professional and amateur cameras in both brands.
A professional camera should be a Śfull formatą camera. This will
[...]

Some have been known to use a Graflex or Speed Graphic.

Savageduck
Old January 3rd 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

The size of the groom's wallet?

Old January 4th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 05:30:39 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:
: android wrote:
: In article , Me
:
: wrote:
: newshound wrote:
[...]

Truthfully, I don't remember what our wedding photographer used (in 1966).
What I do know is that the pictures are badly faded now, which might not have
mattered if they had been digital.

And at my daughter's wedding (in 1991) the photographer did a lousy job. If
I'd known as much about photography then as I do now, I might have sued him.

Bob
Old January 4th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

: But DPReview seemed to think that a typo made by the magazine in an
: article never intended to be offering advice to wedding photographers
: was a conspiracy.
:
: The quote seem to be a suggestion for step one on how to weed out
: wannabe pros when looking to hire an event photog. True pros usually use
: FF Canon or occasionally Nikon...
:
: Some have been known to use a Graflex or Speed Graphic.

Truthfully, I don't remember what our wedding photographer used (in 1966).
What I do know is that the pictures are badly faded now, which might not have
mattered if they had been digital.

had they been digital, you'd have perfect copies.

on what basis? that you ****ed up and picked someone incompetent?
Old January 4th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 23:31:51 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

[...]

I was sitting somewhere in a waiting room, and one of those TV judge
things was on, and this was the exact case that was on. A couple sued
because they didn't like the photos, and it was just the defendants'
luck that the judge was a photo enthusiast who of course knew
everything. So those poor photogs just didn't have gear that was
sufficiently pro, and the judge's critical eye didn't think the photos
were up to snuff, and that was that. Free photos.

That guy probably also sits on the 9th circuit.