OT Scam Venting

Old December 11th 15, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default OT Scam Venting

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| My favorite (around this time of year) is from "Captain So and So"
of
| the Indiana State Police, soliciting contributions for the Police
| Benevolent Organization.
| My routine is to stop him and say, "If you are really a state
trooper,
| then you know that many of these phone calls are frauds. If you
want my
| money, send me a request in writing through the US Mail."
| Funny thing is that I have never gotten a request for money through
the
| mail.

Even funnier is that the days of volunteer police
and fire depts are long gone in most places. They
generally make upper middle class incomes, work
short weeks, and have better insurance coverage
than I, as a self-employed person, could ever hope
for. Yet they still fundraise, as though an injured
officer or firefighter has no recourse but to beg
for help from town residents.

Here, on Long Island, NY, most, if not all fire departments are
volunteer. They come around in a fire truck driven by Santa. I happily
give them money. OTOH, the police are very well paid, with excellent
pensions and health benefits. If a local private educational fund is
set up for the benefit of children of a cop killed in the line of
duty, and I I believe it legitimate, (e.g. some guys I know were
murdered on 9/11, I don't mind making a contribution. Many local guys
volunteered to help on that day.
I normally don;t think politics is appropriate in this group, but I
think Congressional denial of benefits to those injured on that day is
a national disgrace.

Agreed, there is no excuse for the inaction to extend the Zadroga Act.
Fortunately, some of the Congressional Representatives have been working
to get it extended.

Old December 11th 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 12/11/2015 2:16 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| My favorite (around this time of year) is from "Captain So and So" of
| the Indiana State Police, soliciting contributions for the Police
| Benevolent Organization.
| My routine is to stop him and say, "If you are really a state trooper,
| then you know that many of these phone calls are frauds. If you
want my
| money, send me a request in writing through the US Mail."
| Funny thing is that I have never gotten a request for money through
the
| mail.

Even funnier is that the days of volunteer police
and fire depts are long gone in most places. They
generally make upper middle class incomes, work
short weeks, and have better insurance coverage
than I, as a self-employed person, could ever hope
for. Yet they still fundraise, as though an injured
officer or firefighter has no recourse but to beg
for help from town residents.

Here, on Long Island, NY, most, if not all fire departments are
volunteer. They come around in a fire truck driven by Santa. I happily
give them money. OTOH, the police are very well paid, with excellent
pensions and health benefits. If a local private educational fund is
set up for the benefit of children of a cop killed in the line of
duty, and I I believe it legitimate, (e.g. some guys I know were
murdered on 9/11, I don't mind making a contribution. Many local guys
volunteered to help on that day.
I normally don;t think politics is appropriate in this group, but I
think Congressional denial of benefits to those injured on that day is
a national disgrace.

Agreed, there is no excuse for the inaction to extend the Zadroga Act.
Fortunately, some of the Congressional Representatives have been working
to get it extended.

I hope all US citizens here contact their Congressional representatives,
including senators, Speaker Ryan, and Majority Leader O'Connell and let
them know what a disgrace the inaction on this bill is.

--
PeterN
Old December 11th 15, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-12-11 19:34:08 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/11/2015 2:16 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| My favorite (around this time of year) is from "Captain So and So" of
| the Indiana State Police, soliciting contributions for the Police
| Benevolent Organization.
| My routine is to stop him and say, "If you are really a state trooper,
| then you know that many of these phone calls are frauds. If you
want my
| money, send me a request in writing through the US Mail."
| Funny thing is that I have never gotten a request for money through
the
| mail.

Even funnier is that the days of volunteer police
and fire depts are long gone in most places. They
generally make upper middle class incomes, work
short weeks, and have better insurance coverage
than I, as a self-employed person, could ever hope
for. Yet they still fundraise, as though an injured
officer or firefighter has no recourse but to beg
for help from town residents.

Here, on Long Island, NY, most, if not all fire departments are
volunteer. They come around in a fire truck driven by Santa. I happily
give them money. OTOH, the police are very well paid, with excellent
pensions and health benefits. If a local private educational fund is
set up for the benefit of children of a cop killed in the line of
duty, and I I believe it legitimate, (e.g. some guys I know were
murdered on 9/11, I don't mind making a contribution. Many local guys
volunteered to help on that day.
I normally don;t think politics is appropriate in this group, but I
think Congressional denial of benefits to those injured on that day is
a national disgrace.

Agreed, there is no excuse for the inaction to extend the Zadroga Act.
Fortunately, some of the Congressional Representatives have been working
to get it extended.

I hope all US citizens here contact their Congressional
representatives, including senators, Speaker Ryan, and Majority Leader
O'Connell and let them know what a disgrace the inaction on this bill
is.

Jon Stewart adressed this issue.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5xvbon/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-jon-stewart-calls-out-mitch-mcconnell

Savageduck

Old December 11th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-12-11 19:34:08 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/11/2015 2:16 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| My favorite (around this time of year) is from "Captain So and So" of
| the Indiana State Police, soliciting contributions for the Police
| Benevolent Organization.
| My routine is to stop him and say, "If you are really a state trooper,
| then you know that many of these phone calls are frauds. If you
want my
| money, send me a request in writing through the US Mail."
| Funny thing is that I have never gotten a request for money through
the
| mail.

Even funnier is that the days of volunteer police
and fire depts are long gone in most places. They
generally make upper middle class incomes, work
short weeks, and have better insurance coverage
than I, as a self-employed person, could ever hope
for. Yet they still fundraise, as though an injured
officer or firefighter has no recourse but to beg
for help from town residents.

Here, on Long Island, NY, most, if not all fire departments are
volunteer. They come around in a fire truck driven by Santa. I happily
give them money. OTOH, the police are very well paid, with excellent
pensions and health benefits. If a local private educational fund is
set up for the benefit of children of a cop killed in the line of
duty, and I I believe it legitimate, (e.g. some guys I know were
murdered on 9/11, I don't mind making a contribution. Many local guys
volunteered to help on that day.
I normally don;t think politics is appropriate in this group, but I
think Congressional denial of benefits to those injured on that day is
a national disgrace.

Agreed, there is no excuse for the inaction to extend the Zadroga Act.
Fortunately, some of the Congressional Representatives have been working
to get it extended.

I hope all US citizens here contact their Congressional
representatives, including senators, Speaker Ryan, and Majority Leader
O'Connell and let them know what a disgrace the inaction on this bill
is.

Jon Stewart adressed this issue.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5xvbon/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-jon-stewart-calls-out-mitch-mcconnell

....and