OT Scam Venting

Old December 10th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default OT Scam Venting

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| I wouldn't give money to a charity from a phone call I'd recieved.

Nor would I. I'd be leery of giving to any charity.
There are places to check how much actually goes
to charity, such as this site:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Some of the worst -- less than 10% of money
collected actually going to charity -- have been
local fire departments.

It's very hard to know where the
money goes. The main problem, when the charity
itself is at least somewhat on the level, seems to
be that organizations hire fundraising companies,
which then take a big cut. So even when the
cause is legitimate, much of the money may be
going to professional money raisers. How many
people would donate if they realized they were
funding their own phone harassment? How many
fire departments were just approached by enterprising
companies who told them all they need do is allow
the dept name to be used and they'd get 50% of
the profits? .... or maybe 20%.

In the past I'd given money to some local groups,
but I stopped because they were dishonest and
pushy. They'd call back, lie about how much I
was giving per year, then ask me to increase it.
It was just pushy salesmanship that never stopped.
I wonder if any charities bigger than a local little
league team still use volunteer fundraisers.

I consult Charity Navigator for info on charities. In addition to fire
departments, "police" charities are horrible offenders. Now that my son
is a cop, we get inundated with calls from legitimate sounding charities
but over 90% of the money collected goes to salaries and "fund-raising".

Old December 10th 15, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/10/2015 9:02 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I wouldn't give money to a charity from a phone call I'd recieved.

Nor would I. I'd be leery of giving to any charity.
There are places to check how much actually goes
to charity, such as this site:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Some of the worst -- less than 10% of money
collected actually going to charity -- have been
local fire departments.

It's very hard to know where the
money goes. The main problem, when the charity
itself is at least somewhat on the level, seems to
be that organizations hire fundraising companies,
which then take a big cut. So even when the
cause is legitimate, much of the money may be
going to professional money raisers. How many
people would donate if they realized they were
funding their own phone harassment? How many
fire departments were just approached by enterprising
companies who told them all they need do is allow
the dept name to be used and they'd get 50% of
the profits? .... or maybe 20%.

In the past I'd given money to some local groups,
but I stopped because they were dishonest and
pushy. They'd call back, lie about how much I
was giving per year, then ask me to increase it.
It was just pushy salesmanship that never stopped.
I wonder if any charities bigger than a local little
league team still use volunteer fundraisers.

Yep. As I said, there are some that I support and make annual
contributions to. I welcome their calls, as a reminder. If I decide to
no longer support that organization, I simply ask to be removed from
their call list. AFAIK these are legitimate organizations, and they have
honored my request.

--
PeterN
Old December 10th 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

...and the most annoying of all are the never ending political lobby
and election season robo-calls.

These types of calls are not prohibited if you are on the "don not call
list". Who would have thought that politicians would exempt political
lobbying and fund raising types of calls?

once again, put the numbers on a block list. once your number shows up
as invalid, it falls off the lists.

It does not.

it absolutely does.

Indeed political calls, legitimate surveys, and charitable
solicitations are expressly permitted.

it doesn't matter if the calls are permitted or not.

if someone calls a number and gets a not in service message, they don't
normally call again. the number is flagged which eventually filters up
to the master lists, thereby reducing the number of future solicitation
calls.

it's *very* effective.

Indeed last week I was solicited
by a charity, and we happily gave them a donation.

and?

And what? I await your telling me how to block calls, when I don't want
to block all unidentified calls. I await your answer with bated breath.
Or, are you saying I should block all calls.

the exact steps depends on your phone system and how it's set up, but
the typical scenario is an unwanted call comes in and then you add the
number to the block list. next time they call, they hear a number not
in service message so they mark the number as dead and eventually it
drops off the lists. spammers don't want to waste time calling numbers
that they *know* nobody is there.

as i said, it's very effective.
Old December 10th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-12-09 21:24:59 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/9/2015 3:27 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS
wrote:

...and the most annoying of all are the never ending political lobby
and election season robo-calls.

These types of calls are not prohibited if you are on the "don not call
list". Who would have thought that politicians would exempt political
lobbying and fund raising types of calls?

once again, put the numbers on a block list. once your number shows up
as invalid, it falls off the lists.

It does not. Indeed political calls, legitimate surveys, and
charitable solicitations are expressly permitted. Indeed last week I
was solicited by a charity, and we happily gave them a donation.

So you tolerated the scam to shut them up. Now you are going to be hit
regularly.

It was Big Brothers, Big Sisters, one of the organizations that I
support. I also tolerate solicitations from the WCS, as well as others.

My tolerance threashold was exceded some time ago.

Along with the political calls, some of the worst offenders are The
Sierra Club, GreenPeace, and DAV.
My wife and I were both generous with the Sierra Club, GreenPeace and
the Audubon Society in the past. Now they have become a nagging machine
to wring donations out of the vulnerable by playing the guilt card.
Enough was enough, and I have soured on all of them. So just in time for
the Xmas begging season, "Bah! Humbug!"

For the last 6 years the ringer on my landline has been silenced, and I
only use it for outgoing emergency calls if for some reason my cell
service is down.

I cannot do that now. We get a lot of return calls from healthcare providers.

All of my healthcare providers have my cell number as primary. I have
also found it useful to have a Google Voice number, as well as a very
useful iOS app "Burner" for those times a single use number is the way
to go (I am sure it doesn't make the NSA happy).
http://www.burnerapp.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/burner-next-generation-phone/id505800761?mt=8

Savageduck

Old December 10th 15, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Old December 10th 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

So what did you intend to say, or did you just hit the go button by mistake?

Savageduck

Old December 10th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

And what? I await your telling me how to block calls, when I don't want
to block all unidentified calls. I await your answer with bated breath.
Or, are you saying I should block all calls.

the exact steps depends on your phone system and how it's set up, but
the typical scenario is an unwanted call comes in and then you add the
number to the block list. next time they call, they hear a number not
in service message so they mark the number as dead and eventually it
drops off the lists. spammers don't want to waste time calling numbers
that they *know* nobody is there.

as i said, it's very effective.

That assumes that the caller calls from a list. Some use automatic
dialing services. No human touches a dial, and no human has the
ability to cross a name off a list.

what do you think the automatic dialers use, if not a list? do you
think it's all random numbers, hoping they're valid?

Many of the callers use recorded messages that start when a call is
answered. No human involved to mark off a list.

who said anything about a human? it's all automatic.

stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Many of these calls offer a "Press 1" if you want to be removed from
the automatic dial program. That's the worst thing to do because it
proves that it's a valid number and it will be re-called over and
over.

exactly.

that's why blocking it is the best solution.
Old December 10th 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:28:43 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 12/9/2015 10:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS
was
| about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.

If you don't have callerID, you should. If you do
have it you should never have picked up. Federal
agencies are bought out. Phone companies have
a monopoly racket going. Your only choice is to
simply not pick up unless you know who's calling.
doNotCall lists used to work, but haven't for some
time now. I'm guessing there was probably some
back room lobbying involved that we'll probably
never hear about.

That doesn't work for us in practice. Many calls we need are
from caller id blocked numbers.

There's some company that calls us two or three times a week to tell
us we've won a free cruise for two. I tried blocking them, but they
call from different numbers each time.

Someone's lying to me! I was told last week that I was the lucky
winner.

Old December 10th 15, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Old December 10th 15, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/10/2015 1:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

We are still waiting for a practical method of blocking.

--
PeterN