How to undamage the camera?

Old January 20th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

Default How to undamage the camera?

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.
Old January 20th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , micky
wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

wait until it's room temperature and hope that the lcd didn't freeze
while it was in the car. you will probably need to recharge the
battery.
Old January 20th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
so condensation wouldn't form.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

Read the manual for the temperature range. Check the battery.

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102
Old January 21st 18, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:04:59 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
so condensation wouldn't form.

Oops.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

Read the manual for the temperature range.

The manual gives an operating range of 32 to 104F

Doesn't say anything about storing the camera, so I guess almost
anything is okay.

Check the battery.

Waited 5 hours, until room temp. Camera seems to work fine. My battery
was hard to find just a year ago, so I bought two spares, all of which I
used on the last trip. If this battery is damaged, still have two
others. Going again in February so it's a good thing I found the
camera.

Thanks.

Old January 21st 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:48:10 -0500, micky
wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
an oven overnight at 35-40degC.
Old January 21st 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 21, 2018, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
an oven overnight at 35-40degC.

No! No! No!

Savageduck