Kodak announces printer breakthrough

Old February 7th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Kodak announces printer breakthrough

NPR's Marketplace reported shortly after 6:00 PM that Kodak
announced a new line of printers that would potentially change the
printer market. There was no technological breakthrough announced.
Instead, Kodak plans to sell printers for higher prices, and cut the
ink cost at least in half. The report added that it would allow
Kodak's printers to make 4" x 6" prints for 10 cents vs. a typical
15 cent cost using online printing services. I didn't hear any
mention of where the announcement was made or where it was reported.
I'm guessing that it will have been reported in the Wall Street
Journal and the New York Times, but I haven't spotted anything on
the NYT home page, its Technology or Business sections, so it may
have been announced too late to make it into these papers.

Old February 7th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:12:57 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

NPR's Marketplace reported shortly after 6:00 PM that Kodak
announced a new line of printers that would potentially change the
printer market. There was no technological breakthrough announced.
Instead, Kodak plans to sell printers for higher prices, and cut the
ink cost at least in half. The report added that it would allow
Kodak's printers to make 4" x 6" prints for 10 cents vs. a typical
15 cent cost using online printing services. I didn't hear any
mention of where the announcement was made or where it was reported.
I'm guessing that it will have been reported in the Wall Street
Journal and the New York Times, but I haven't spotted anything on
the NYT home page, its Technology or Business sections, so it may
have been announced too late to make it into these papers.

It's on several major newspapers - do a simple web search - I think I
found it on the Washington Post site - also info on the Kodak site. They
are introducing three 'all-in-ones'. Cost of consumables is about 1/2 of
the major players. One downer is that the color cartridge has all five
colors in one package.

Old February 7th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:39:05 -0700, ray wrote:

It's on several major newspapers - do a simple web search - I think I
found it on the Washington Post site - also info on the Kodak site. They
are introducing three 'all-in-ones'. Cost of consumables is about 1/2 of
the major players. One downer is that the color cartridge has all five
colors in one package.

Yep. Less than I expected, but how often do businesses try to
downplay their announcements. I wonder if the low cost estimate
took the cost of paper into account. Still, if it has a ripple
effect and gets other manufacturers to lower the ink costs for their
own all-in-ones, it should eventually have a trickle-up effect for
their higher end printers.

Old February 7th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

ray wrote:
[...]

True, but the fact that they are selling this ink...which is *Pigment
based*...for this price...is huge.
HP...Take notice!! HP has made their ink carts smaller...and smaller...and
smaller, while the price has skyrocketed. It's a total racket now. Kodak
may well sell me a printer in a month or two... -And I've already got 4
hooked up to this computer... NONE of which are Kodak...and ALL of which
slurp up over-priced inks.

I say, "GIVE EM HECK, KODAK!!"

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old February 7th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
NPR's Marketplace reported shortly after 6:00 PM that Kodak
announced a new line of printers that would potentially change the
printer market. There was no technological breakthrough announced.
Instead, Kodak plans to sell printers for higher prices, and cut the
ink cost at least in half. The report added that it would allow
Kodak's printers to make 4" x 6" prints for 10 cents vs. a typical
15 cent cost using online printing services. I didn't hear any
mention of where the announcement was made or where it was reported.
I'm guessing that it will have been reported in the Wall Street
Journal and the New York Times, but I haven't spotted anything on
the NYT home page, its Technology or Business sections, so it may
have been announced too late to make it into these papers.

Saw it in the local paper today. The interesting aspect is that prices
for the cartridges, $9.99 for black and $14.95 for color. Both inks are
'lifetime' type inks. The printers, however, are somewhat more
expensive, allowing them to make a profit on the printer, and sell the
cartridges for less profit.
Old February 7th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

ASAAR wrote:
NPR's Marketplace reported shortly after 6:00 PM that Kodak
announced a new line of printers that would potentially change the
printer market. There was no technological breakthrough announced.
Instead, Kodak plans to sell printers for higher prices, and cut the
ink cost at least in half. The report added that it would allow
Kodak's printers to make 4" x 6" prints for 10 cents vs. a typical
15 cent cost using online printing services. I didn't hear any
mention of where the announcement was made or where it was reported.
I'm guessing that it will have been reported in the Wall Street
Journal and the New York Times, but I haven't spotted anything on
the NYT home page, its Technology or Business sections, so it may
have been announced too late to make it into these papers.

It is good news.

I wonder who is making the printers for Kodak? Assuming that
Canon/Epson/HP wouldn't want to play the game, perhaps Brother or Lexmark?

Epson have considerable room to move. US price of their consumables is
approximately 50% higher than Japan, and European customers pay more
than double. Epson advertise their printers (identical to US/European
models, but with different model names/numbers) with JBMIA standard
photo yield data indicating prices more consistent with Kodak's new
claims than the expected $0.30 or more in the US market.
Old February 7th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:39:38 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

Saw it in the local paper today. The interesting aspect is that prices
for the cartridges, $9.99 for black and $14.95 for color. Both inks are
'lifetime' type inks. The printers, however, are somewhat more
expensive, allowing them to make a profit on the printer, and sell the
cartridges for less profit.

And isn't that what so many have been asking for? I wonder how
much ink the cartridges hold. Still, $25 for both is a good deal
less than the $66 it cost for a color and b/w cart. for my old HP
printer, or twice that price for the cart's HP fills with more ink.

Old February 7th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

frederick wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
[...]

I doubt it's Lexmark. I don't know of any pigment inks by them, and they
couldn't produce a decent printer to save their lives. If it pushes ink
prices downward, then they'll have accomplished something. But I think HP
has so attached their company to "free" printers and a mint for the ink,
that it won't be easy for them to respond so quickly.

ASSAR missed the point.

The comparison shouldn't be against on-line printers. The comparison should
be against home-printing alternatives. In that contest, the Kodak figures
are FAR cheaper. But that's not the only breakthrough.
The other is that they're offering PIGMENT INKS at that price, which is a
real breakthrough.

When Kodak says they are of equal quality to their own lab prints, that is a
significant statement.

And regarding "high-priced printers and cheap ink"...we're NOT talking
expensive printers here. The three models range from $150USD to $300.
Hardly breaking the bank, and actually less than competing models from HP
that use inferior inks.

It's a big deal, and I'm happy someone is bucking HP &Co.'s scam of selling
ink at the price of titanium.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old February 7th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

At $14.99 for the 5 color ink cartridge compared to 5 color ink cartridges
for say the Epson 320 that is a lot cheaper than half. The question is what
are you paying for in the printer. Cheap and lame scanner, fax, document
scanner, copier function or a good quality high resolution photo printer. My
bet the ink maybe cheaper but the print quality isn't going to cut the
mustard. Also, no mention on available papers, how long the print live or
anything else.

Since Kodak these days aren't exactly known for top of the line consumer
products, I think I would pass.

ljc

news

Old February 7th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:26:35 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
pointer_outer wrote:

ASSAR missed the point.

The comparison shouldn't be against on-line printers.

There was no point to miss. I didn't editorialize, but just
repeated what was said by the "Marketplace" reporter. I do have
doubts about the accuracy of the 4x6 price comparison, since unlike
the ink kit for Epson's little printer, which allows total costs to
be easily understood, Kodak's kit doesn't include any paper, or I
should more accurately say that there is no kit. You just buy ink.
But since as you said, the new Kodak printers supposedly now use
pigment based ink, will this ink have also been formulated to work
best with existing Kodak print paper which presumably was designed
for dye based ink? Or was that a point that *you* missed?