Dust on sensor, Sensor Brush = hogwash solution?

Old February 12th 05, 06:09 PM
Alan Browne

Sheldon wrote:

And, for my two cents, I doubt a vacuum is as good as a blower. The vacuum
would have to be very close to the sensor and the particle would have to be
very loose for the vacuum to pull it off. A blower will dislodge the
particle with a puff of air, and hopefully blow it completely out of the
camera. In a perfect world, you would use both at the same time; a blower to
knock the particle loose, and a vacuum to get it out of there.

Ever notice how hard it is to dislodge a stubborn piece of dust? A little bulb
blower won't it, often even a blast of canned air won't do it. A vacuum won't
do it either. But vacuum and a soft brush to dislodge the piece of dust and it
is gone.

Whatever you do, do not use canned air in the sensor compartment. You will
either get propelent in there (eventually) or the blast will damage something
like the shutter curtains.

Cheers,
Alan
Old February 13th 05, 12:41 AM
DoN. Nichols

Sheldon wrote:
Any opinions about this device?

Will it fit through the door?

Yes -- though the air pump would probably be best left on the
floor, with two small diameter hoses to feed the compressed air and the
vacuum connections to the handpiece.

Probably one of the little pumps used for airbrushes would be
sufficient, though I already have a serious air compressor in my machine
shop, and some smaller ones which I use when tuning concertina reeds.
The one used for tuning also lives in the shop, with the hose running up
to the computer room where the tuning is performed, so the noise of the
pump does not affect the measurements of pitch of the reeds (and annoy
the individual doing the tuning, or his wife. :-)

The disk drive HEPA filter which I have in mind is about
1x1-1/2" in size, and it would be mounted down near the pump, along with
the manifold with the needle valves. That filter should suffice to
assure that no dust particles of appreciable size come up the hose to
the handpiece.

It certainly would not fit in the gadget bag for field use,
however. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564