suggestions on upgrading to a new pc

Old August 26th 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

Default suggestions on upgrading to a new pc

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message om...

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , Pete Stavrakoglou
wrote:

That's assumming that Vista needed much fixing. I've been running it
since
it's release with no problems. I switched to 7 two weeks ago.

Is it October 22 already?

Oh, you're running a test version of an operating system and think it's
the real thing.

Windows-7 has already been released to some folk, and it's the final
"release to manufacture" version, not a test, beta or release candidate
version.

David

yup, anyone with a TechNet subscription has been able to download it for
nearly a month now :-)
I'm still waiting for a test machine to put it on before I decide if I will
make it my primary OS

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old August 26th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fotoguy[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:36:19 +1000, Atheist Chaplain wrote:

Oh, you're running a test version of an operating system and think
it's the real thing.

Windows-7 has already been released to some folk, and it's the final
"release to manufacture" version, not a test, beta or release candidate
version.

David

yup, anyone with a TechNet subscription has been able to download it for
nearly a month now :-)
I'm still waiting for a test machine to put it on before I decide if I
will make it my primary OS

Why not use a virtual machine for testing. If W7 runs well on a VM, it
will certainly run better on real hardware.

I suggest VirtualBox: http//www.virtualbox.org That's what I use.

--
Fotoguy
BestInClass.com
Old August 27th 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Fotoguy" wrote in message
[...]

one of the reasons I am waiting on a machine is I am waiting for a new HDD,
the one's on this machine are getting pretty full :-)
no space to dual boot also equals no space to virtualize :-)
I am also tossing up getting an entirely new system with an i7 setup, but
this depends on the Minister for Finance and War :-)

Old August 27th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Windows-7 has already been released to some folk, and it's the final
"release to manufacture" version, not a test, beta or release candidate
version.

Aside from possibly developers, the only release I'm aware of is to
schools and universities who subscribe to a special Microsoft program
(can't remember the name at the moment).
Old August 27th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Windows-7 has already been released to some folk, and it's the final
"release to manufacture" version, not a test, beta or release candidate
version.

Aside from possibly developers, the only release I'm aware of is to
schools and universities who subscribe to a special Microsoft program
(can't remember the name at the moment).

seems you not very aware then :-)
I am no longer working for a school (but then it didn't matter before then
either) and I have a "TechNet" subscription (anyone who is willing to hand
over the cash can get one from MS) that costs me a bit over $350 a year,
with that sub I can download ANY current version of any MS OS, I have had
the RTM version of Windows 7 downloaded and stored on my computer since the
6th of August (when it was released to MS TechNet subscribers to download)
it hit the torrents about 4 hours after that and activation was cracked
within a week I think, so it has been available both legally and illegally
for nearly a month.

Old August 27th 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Atheist Chaplain" wrote in message
[]
I am also tossing up getting an entirely new system with an i7 setup,
but this depends on the Minister for Finance and War :-)

That's the way I would go, given enough finance. Good luck with your
Ministerial Negotiations!

As it is, I have Windows-7 RTM running on both an old 2003 PC (Pentium 4
HT, 2.8GHz, 3GB) which seems to work quite smoothly, and an arguably less
powerful PC from 2006 with 2GB memory and a single-core AMD-64 3200+
processor. Both seem to work well and smoothly, although perhaps not
quite as fast as XP/Vista on my more recent PCs (XP on an Intel E6600
dual-core, 3GB, Vista on an AMD-64 X2 4400, 3GB).

I would normally recommend a dual-core processor as the minimum for
typical multi-tasking uses, with plenty of memory, and the single-core AMD
system was "bottom-end" at the time it was bought.

Does anyone have comments on using ReadyBoost - the USB memory shadowing
some random I/O disk operations? Does it produce any speed gains worth
having?

Cheers,
David

Old August 27th 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

"John Turco" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
John, you may find Windows-7 even better than Vista SP1.

Hello, David:

Except, I'd paid $109.99 USD for my Vista 64-bit DVD, a little over a
year ago. g

Vista is now SP2, by the way.

Cheers,
David

I know; my Vista installation disc came with SP1.

--
Cordially,
John Turco

Maybe you can get an upgrade? I hope so as I do think that Win-7 is worth
/something/ extra. Vista has been OK on the PCs I've tested, though,
given enough memory.

Cheers,
David

Old August 27th 09, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

Correction: that's "MSDN", not MSISDN I'm at the office and was
querying a series of MSISDNs (mobile telephone numbers) when I posted this
response.